Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

hockeyplayer2

Just watched. Definitely not their best FD last night, and at this level any little bobble will ding you big time. They have come so close, and they are still closing the gap. Though they didn't come away with a medal here, they can hold their heads up high. Every team above them has a National title, World medal(s), and are Olympians (and they came above one team with those qualifications). They are getting there, they just need to keep pushing the limits, not get discouraged and fight. They have come a long way since going to Montreal, and I'm sure they will continue to grow and improve there. The dance event and the talent of all the teams at this point is crazy.
Do you think making changes to programs in between events causes more pressure, as a team is not rock solid usually on changes? As with more sports, I imagine muscle memory comes into play in the moment of the performance. They had changes to both programs here. I hope by Worlds everything will be solid.

I agree, Semogal. Love the new SD version, though I think you hold the record in viewing it!;)

blancanieves

Just watched. Definitely not their best FD last night, and at this level any little bobble will ding you big time. They have come so close, and they are still closing the gap. Though they didn't come away with a medal here, they can hold their heads up high. Every team above them has a National title, World medal(s), and are Olympians (and they came above one team with those qualifications). They are getting there, they just need to keep pushing the limits, not get discouraged and fight. They have come a long way since going to Montreal, and I'm sure they will continue to grow and improve there. The dance event and the talent of all the teams at this point is crazy.
Do you think making changes to programs in between events causes more pressure, as a team is not rock solid usually on changes? As with more sports, I imagine muscle memory comes into play in the moment of the performance. They had changes to both programs here. I hope by Worlds everything will be solid.

I agree, Semogal. Love the new SD version, though I think you hold the record in viewing it!;)

Here's the FD with Eurosport commentary. I think they touch on what you were saying. New expectations, new situations, new nerves; how the smallest errors make the difference as you get closer to the top; updates to programs.

Hubbell & Donohue FD 2017 4CC

It's tempting to think, "oh they could've been 4th at the GPF, 2nd at Nationals, 3rd at 4CC" and fail to acknowledge the impressive feat that it is to turn yourself from a team many didn't believe in two years ago, into one that can legitimately contend for these goals today.

I hope H/D know that despite all the unsolicited "feedback" and after all the emotions calm down, fans can discern these things. They're a great team moving in the right direction. :)

clairecloutier

Well, I loved Madi/Zach's performances at 4CCs. I am a big fan. They are really almost my favorite ice dance team to watch at this point--such amazing expression and emotion between them. To me, almost every moment is a treasure in their programs!

But, reality is reality, and after the FD, Charlie said on NBCSN exactly what I said after Nationals-- To make it onto the 4CCs or World podium, and to move up from U.S. #3, they just have to become more consistent competitors. They have all the talent and creativity necessary. But they have to skate cleaner. Results-wise, it was disappointing to see them fall behind W/P and G/P in the FD here. Hoping for season's-best performances in Helsinki!

Plusdinfo

As much as I like the programs they've put out and usually like "mushy" programs in general (yes, they're "accused" of being mushy by various fans), I have had a recurring thought about the effect it has on their placement in free dances. It's something like this: they do soft and romantic well but maybe not as well as some, so they don't get an optimal "POW" effect in marks or effectiveness with the judges. Someone recently linked a Latin program (2012-2013 free dance, I think), and it really proved to me how versatile the team is as dancers and skaters. While it may be my hunch and nothing else, I have a feeling that if they don't do something more upbeat next season, they won't leave enough judges thinking "Dang!" and they'll likely be ranked third or possibly second at best when, in fact, I think they can be #1 in the U.S.

Side note: I saw them live at Skate America in 2013 and immediately became a fan. Their free dance that season reminds me of the music selections for their current free dance, and while I don't disapprove, I think it's too far in the middle of the road to make them stick out, take on a striking look, or (perhaps) gain the points they might otherwise get.

Here's hoping for many future successes and a nice variety of programs to enjoy.

hockeyplayer2

Plusdinfo, are you speaking of this Flamenco FD?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKobTmlKg0
This was a beautiful program and full of energy, I really loved it. It was only their second season together.
They have touched many genres in their short career together, some stronger than others. Even in their first season together they brought something special to the ice.

blancanieves

Well, I loved Madi/Zach's performances at 4CCs. I am a big fan. They are really almost my favorite ice dance team to watch at this point--such amazing expression and emotion between them. To me, almost every moment is a treasure in their programs!

But, reality is reality, and after the FD, Charlie said on NBCSN exactly what I said after Nationals-- To make it onto the 4CCs or World podium, and to move up from U.S. #3, they just have to become more consistent competitors. They have all the talent and creativity necessary. But they have to skate cleaner. Results-wise, it was disappointing to see them fall behind W/P and G/P in the FD here. Hoping for season's-best performances in Helsinki!

Since TDF their SD has gotten increasingly better and cleaner, while the bobbles/lapses of focus have occurred in the FD. I don't think that's coincidental. They probably have been devoting most of their time to the SD. So, my takeaway is that a) when they aim at something they get it done, b) now that the SD is further along, they can balance their time better to refocus on the FD.

AquaLady

Bracing myself... Meryl just posted that she'll be on the today show with Charlie. I can't do this :( Madi and Zach could be missing another Olympics, if they do indeed comeback...:fragile::wuzrobbedAnd to be honest, at this point, there's a 95% chance that D/W are announcing their comeback. What other reason could there possibly be for them to be on a talk show? Charlie running for president? :wall:

Last edited:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
They didn't necessarily say that in the interview today, but it's something they've said many times over the last few years. They certainly would have been competitive if they did decide to come back, but I think they're ready to support the US teams. :)

I'm very happy for Madison and Zach's sake, but I never really thought Meryl and Charlie would come back (I did the year after the Olympics, but still, I'm not at all surprised) lol.

Here's an article regarding the announcement: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/...m_source=TW @NBCSports&utm_tags=srm[olympics]

AquaLady

They didn't necessarily say that in the interview today, but it's something they've said many times over the last few years. They certainly would have been competitive if they did decide to come back, but I think they're ready to support the US teams. :) I'm very happy for Madison and Zach's sake, but I never really thought Meryl and Charlie would come back (I did the year after the Olympics, but still, I'm not at all surprised) lol.

They made a right decision for themselves. I don't see any point in them coming back. With the level of skating Virtue/Moir are putting out, V/M are pretty much unbeatable at this point. I think for Meryl and Charlie, they want to end their careers on a good note and it will be a massive risk to compete again with below zero certainty that they are gonna be on the Olympic podium...And they're not willing to take that risk, so a loud YAY for Madi and Zach! Super delighted for them!:cheer2:

semogal

They made a right decision for themselves. I don't see any point in them coming back. With the level of skating Virtue/Moir are putting out, V/M are pretty much unbeatable at this point. I think for Meryl and Charlie, they want to end their careers on a good note and it will be a massive risk to compete again with below zero certainty that they are gonna be on the Olympic podium...And they're not willing to take that risk, so a loud YAY for Madi and Zach! Super delighted for them!:cheer2:

This is the H/D thread so I won't dwell on this here but IMHO had Meryl and Charlie chosen to compete next season they would have been very competitive with their excellent skating skills, speed and with their artistry and performance qualities that have been enhanced by their time on Dancing with the Stars & Love on the Floor. They didn't decide not to come back because they thought they would lose! They decided that spending time with family & friends and having a life outside the rink was not something they wanted to give up to devote 24/7 to training again. There are no guarantees that V/M or P/C will win next year, ice is slippery after all. And there are a slew of other teams, including Madison and Zach, that have legitimate shots at that Olympic podium.

AquaLady

This is the H/D thread so I won't dwell on this here but IMHO had Meryl and Charlie chosen to compete next season they would have been very competitive with their excellent skating skills, speed and with their artistry and performance qualities that have been enhanced by their time on Dancing with the Stars & Love on the Floor. They didn't decide not to come back because they thought they would lose! They decided that spending time with family & friends and having a life outside the rink was not something they wanted to give up to devote 24/7 to training again. There are no guarantees that V/M or P/C will win next year, ice is slippery after all. And there are a slew of other teams, including Madison and Zach, that have legitimate shots at that Olympic podium.
I'm not saying Meryl and Charlie didn't come back because they thought they would lose. In fact, I have a lot of respect for D/W. I loved them on DWTS. What I'm trying to say is that I feel like they're playing it safe. Coming from their part, as defending Olympic champions, I understand... It's a very difficult decision... But they decided not to face the music and focus on personal life, good for them.

Yes, Ice Dance right now is very erratic. For the record, I 100% believe that Madi and Zach have a shot at being at the Olympic podium. My concern with the whole D/W issue beforehand was that if D/W indeed returns, is USFS willing to put their third-ranked team H/D behind the defending Olympic champions? You know what I mean? It would suck for Madi and Zach...

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

That's not a fair characterization, either. Playing it safe would be continuing on the path they've always had success with. Many athletes say that giving up their sport and moving out into the bigger world is the scariest thing they've ever done.

In case you missed it, Meryl and Charlie did have great things to say about US dance and H/D in their longer interviews yesterday. Here's one:
“I think there are three really standout teams right now in the U.S.,” Davis explains. “Maia and Alex Shibutani are the two-time consecutive and reigning ice dance champions. Madison Chock and Evan Bates are national champions in their own right, and both of those teams were on the world podium last year, which is a huge accomplishment for one country to have two teams on the world podium. And then we have Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue, who were in the top six at world’s last year and are really sort of knocking on that door of challenging those top two teams, which only makes for a more exciting event. We have three solid teams who are capable of greatness, not just in their own right, but together as a force to be reckoned with, as American ice dancers.”

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
If Meryl and Charlie had decided to return to competition, they absolutely would have been in the mix for the podium. I certainly think their technical skills, and improved artistry (from DWTS, LOTF and various skating shows) would have served them very well.

But I was absolutely devastated for Madison and Zach when they didn't make the team in 2014, so I'm very pleased that things appear to be lining up for them for 2018, because I do believe they have the ability to do quite well. :)

AquaLady

That's not a fair characterization, either. Playing it safe would be continuing on the path they've always had success with. Many athletes say that giving up their sport and moving out into the bigger world is the scariest thing they've ever done.
Playing it safe in the sense that they want to make sure that they end their career on a good note. It's the scariest thing ever, true, but V/M were able to do it. I don't see why D/W can't, considering the fact that they are, after all, the defending Olympic champions... But then again, they have made their choice and if that's what makes them sleep at night, good for them. Other than that, this discussion is for another forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information