Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

Sylvia

TBD
New thread! :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQMiJIblSyf/?taken-by=hubbelldonohue
So pleased to announce our debut with Stars on Ice this year! It is an honor and a privilege to join such an incredible and talented cast, crew &a family! Thank you!#soi2017 #soifamily
Their SOI profile: http://www.starsonice.com/skater-detail.html?sid=102

ETA:

Madi Hubbell has said that "Can't Help Falling in Love" is one of her favorite songs - article after they won gold in SLC in Sept. 2016: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/09/17/201913760/hubbell-donohue-defend-title-with-story-of-love
They skate their program to a medley of love songs, and they have a very personal connection to the pieces used in it.
"We chose the music, the concept, just by saying, 'What is your favorite music to listen to, just sitting around at home? What is one of your favorite songs in the whole world?'" Hubbell said. "And one of my favorite songs is the middle piece, 'Can't Help Falling in Love' by Ingrid Michaelson. So we kind of created a concept around that piece, and a story between two people, and we really have a strong connection to it."

Last edited:

bwayrose7

New thread! :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQMiJIblSyf/?taken-by=hubbelldonohue

Their SOI profile: http://www.starsonice.com/skater-detail.html?sid=102

ETA:

Madi Hubbell has said that "Can't Help Falling in Love" is one of her favorite songs - article after they won gold in SLC in Sept. 2016: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/09/17/201913760/hubbell-donohue-defend-title-with-story-of-love

I seem to remember last year's "Hallelujah" was also a special song for them. They are extraordinary at communicating complex emotions on the ice, and it's really evident when a piece of music has that deep connection for them. Hoping they find another piece they can explore like that for the Olympic year :cheer2:

Sylvia

TBD

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I know they have been struggling to finance their sport, but I would hope for them to keep competing after 2018. Is this the first time they participate to SOI ?

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

VGThuy

What do you guys think of Madison's new outfit for the SD and the reworked SBS footwork sequence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoGdQlVYKk

It looks a lot cleaner and I have to say I prefer it to the older one (though I miss parts of both the GP version and the Nationals version of the SBS step), but it looks like they sort of copied Chock/Bates' knee slides and took a page out of the Shibs book by going for more cleaner movement and their precise spacing throughout the SBS.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I like her new outfit! There's a lot less going on; the simplicity of it highlights her lines for me and it's more flattering. I'm going to be disappointed if we end up seeing the dress she's been wearing all season.

I do like the reworked SBS footwork, it looks cleaner, and that should probably be the ultimate goal (without sacrificing any difficulty, of course). I do still wish they would take out one more music cut and extend one of the pieces they do have, though. It would do a lot for the cohesiveness of the program and I think it would go over better with the judges.

Now I'm hoping she also got a new dress for the FD. Good luck to them tonight!! I'll have to find a way to watch.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I love the new costume for Madison. The cut in the back is interesting and flattering. I think she looks great--they both do.

I noticed in this practice how amazing Zack's expression is in this piece--really great. He just has terrific innate musicality. Of course Madi does, too.

I think I liked the SBS footwork better before? It's still good though. I love this SD. :D I'm going to miss it next year.

cocotaffy

The new outfit is indeed better, not sure about the graffiti on the back of his T-shirt but at least it cuts the monotony of all that black.
Not sure about the SBS, it looks neater but also emptier. They seem to do 3 moves and voila.
I just hope they skate with as much energy as Nationals, where it was the best they skated this program. 4CC is a tough competition this year.

blancanieves

What do you guys think of Madison's new outfit for the SD and the reworked SBS footwork sequence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoGdQlVYKk

It looks a lot cleaner and I have to say I prefer it to the older one (though I miss parts of both the GP version and the Nationals version of the SBS step), but it looks like they sort of copied Chock/Bates' knee slides and took a page out of the Shibs book by going for more cleaner movement and their precise spacing throughout the SBS.

Oh, the video has been removed :( I'm so curious to see this new version of the SD. At Nationals, they got a little too close at the end of their SBS so they've probably focused on avoiding that.

AquaLady

Madi's one-piece looks pretty good but I'm not so sure with Zach's top... What's going on with that wild print at the back? :eek: Hahaha... Would love to see a different hairstyle for Madi... Perhaps a higher ponytail or a half-do... But anyways, I love the tweaks in the entry of turn down for what! Super cool! Can't wait for tonight!:watch:

blancanieves

Not sure why they took it down, but it's been reposted

Oh, thanks so much! They look fit! That's one of the most flattering outfits Madi has ever worn, two big thumbs up. The bodice part is really well designed. But, I agree with AquaLady about Zach's top. What's the purpose of the weird neck thing, and is that print supposed to be a stylized marihuana/maple leaf? Lol.

lmarie086

Wonderful performance tonight! They looked sharp and speedy. New outfits looked great (though the pattern was kind of weird. Oh well :lol: )

However, I still think that unless they actually streamline the music cuts for this SD, it will not matter how well they skate. I think the music cuts are affecting their PCS, which holds them back. Hopefully they change it more before Worlds.

But well done tonight! :cheer: :) Hoping for a new PB in the FD tomorrow for them (and a new dress in a bolder color for Madison lol).

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Great performance from them. Zach is killing it more and more at each outings. You can see how much he loves performing the SD. So much charisma and attack. She used to overpower/shadow him a bit but not anymore and it's great to see. So, I don't get their performance PCS, it should be above 9 what the heck. I thought they performed close to the best here. They also got hit on the SS, should be around 9 imo. They have the smoothest MB of all the teams, even V/M, there I say it I'm not impressed with V/M's MB tbh. They fill up the rink and interpretation wise also it's among the best but again they got below 9 for interpretation.
On a shallow note, I don't like the pattern on his shirt, it's too distracting and we can't make out what it's supposed to be. But I approve of her outfit, she rocks it. She also got back to beige boots, I don't mind.
Still I think he's starting to steal the show a little, what a change since they've started training in Montreal. He seemed to really have found a true love of skating and performing over there. It's infectious and that's why they're my favs with the French. When they perform, one forgets they're competing or even skating. They get lost in their performance and us too along with them. That's why, I think they deserve much more on perf and interpretation. Anyway, at least they keep closing in on C/B who performed really great too as it happens and they also got hammered on PCS.

DreamsofBliss

I actually like the costumes and the way her front matches his back. Plus the colors are kind of different. I thought they were great tonight and fourth is a great place to be all things considered.

blancanieves

Wonderful performance tonight! They looked sharp and speedy. New outfits looked great (though the pattern was kind of weird. Oh well :lol: )

However, I still think that unless they actually streamline the music cuts for this SD, it will not matter how well they skate. I think the music cuts are affecting their PCS, which holds them back. Hopefully they change it more before Worlds.

But well done tonight! :cheer: :) Hoping for a new PB in the FD tomorrow for them (and a new dress in a bolder color for Madison lol).

Yes, at this juncture in the season, their skating is sharp with phenomenal musicality and interpretation. Yet, the gap between TES and PCS is not moving. You gotta address the "elephant in the room," the music cut needs more work to resonate positively with the judges.

blancanieves

Great performance from them. So, I don't get their performance PCS, it should be above 9 what the heck. I thought they performed close to the best here.

I guess when you consider that they're the only team in the top 5 without a world medal, their overall PCS don't suck. They keep proving themselves, but it's a difficult battle for a #3 ranked team to get the judges to place them ahead of their country's #1 and #2. Hopefully, they'll keep their momentum going to achieve that.

On a shallow note, I don't like the pattern on his shirt, it's too distracting and we can't make out what it's supposed to be. But I approve of her outfit, she rocks it.

I'm shallow too. IMO the solid color/simpler design of his old jersey showcased the strong, clean lines of his back/posture much better. Maybe they wanted to incorporate graffiti imagery, but the motifs come off Asian-themed, not like spray painted graffiti. I don't think a pattern is needed when it creates confusion and takes away sharpness. Maybe they could go back to the solid blue/solid black color scheme.

Also, the fit of Madison's new costume is impeccable, but the new collar they tagged on Zach's jersey is causing it to bunch up around the shoulders and the back. :p

Firedancer

I love Madison in pants for this program! I hope she keeps this look for worlds. But I don't really get the pattern on Zach's back.

Great performance by them last night. I like the changes they have made and thought this was probably the best they have performed this program this season. I do agree with those who would still like to see fewer music cuts. But only about a point behind Chock and Bates. I would love to see them move up a spot with the free dance.

semogal

I am such an uber! I have watched the SD about 10 times already :D The new costumes and the small changes they have made in choreography have elevated the whole dance for me. Can Madison wear pants more often? Love how their long lines and extension is magnified by the pants.

clairecloutier

I thought Madi/Zack were great last night! And as I said before, I agree with @cocotaffy about Zack continually improving in this dance! They both are great!

I like the new costumes. I hope they keep them for Worlds.

Today I watched the SD on NBCSN. I will summarize here Charlie White's remarks on Madi/Zach (for those who don't get this channel).

--Charlie says in terms of pure talent, they are among the best in the world. Their skating skills are superb, in his opinion.
--He loves their Midnight Blues, thinks it's great and very suited to their style.
--He doesn't love the 2nd half of the SD. He feels that it doesn't show off their skating skills enough. That they are skating in straight lines too much, or in short movements. I guess he wants to see longer arcs and edges. He wants to see them gaining more power and speed in the second half, which he knows they are capable of.
--He finds the music cuts distracting. He just wants to enjoy their skating, but he is distracted thinking of where & when the next music cut will be.

hockeyplayer2

I thought Madi/Zack were great last night! And as I said before, I agree with @cocotaffy about Zack continually improving in this dance! They both are great!

I like the new costumes. I hope they keep them for Worlds.

Today I watched the SD on NBCSN. I will summarize here Charlie White's remarks on Madi/Zach (for those who don't get this channel).

--Charlie says in terms of pure talent, they are among the best in the world. Their skating skills are superb, in his opinion.
--He loves their Midnight Blues, thinks it's great and very suited to their style.
--He doesn't love the 2nd half of the SD. He feels that it doesn't show off their skating skills enough. That they are skating in straight lines too much, or in short movements. I guess he wants to see longer arcs and edges. He wants to see them gaining more power and speed in the second half, which he knows they are capable of.
--He finds the music cuts distracting. He just wants to enjoy their skating, but he is distracted thinking of where & when the next music cut will be.

Charlie has said the same thing repeatedly this season about the music cuts in their program. And people think, "it must be true because Charlie said it..." There are many that love H/D's SD program, with all the cuts. OK, we get he doesn't like it. They attack the program, skate it beautifully, and they obviously like the program the way it is. And they are sitting top 4 in a very deep field right now, where they are the only ones who don't have National titles or World medals. Not too shabby...

I really like the new costumes, too and hope they will bring them to Worlds. Madison looks amazing!!

blancanieves

Charlie has said the same thing repeatedly this season about the music cuts in their program. And people think, "it must be true because Charlie said it..." There are many that love H/D's SD program, with all the cuts. OK, we get he doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, I think Charlie's comments reflect the thinking of judges that want fluidity throughout, regardless of what the hip hop rhythm may actually call for.

A medley is choppy by nature. With a single track, you get to interpret cues within an extended musical sequence, there's time and space for nuance, highlights, and development in the movement. I don't have a problem with showing a fluid blues in the first half, and then a different kind of interpretation to represent the staccato quality of hip hop, in the second half. But, H/D's component scores seem to indicate that the judges do.

blancanieves

I so wanted them to beat Chock and Bates. I really like this FD.

Well, I wanted to see a clean skate. It's unfortunate it didn't happen today, but they've got one more opportunity this season. I liked the few new touches in the choreo, but I suspect/hope they'll have more substantial changes for Worlds.

Zach looks great in sea foam (the color)! ;)

lmarie086

Those little errors throughout the FD were so unfortunate. The choreographic changes are a nice touch, so I hope to see this clean at Worlds!

semogal

The pressure these two are feeling right now must be immense. I didn't think their performance was as free as usual. Looking at their standings in the FD portion, they have to be unhappy and know there is work to be done to not only climb the rankings but keep other teams at bay. But I have the utmost faith in Madison and Zach that they will do what needs to be done and perform lights out at Worlds.

In the meantime, off to watch their SD again (I am obsessed with this latest version...LOVE it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information