Canadian Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

chantilly

I remember taking issue with Carol around 2014, but she doesn't seem to irk me now. It's possible she wasn't so bad, or she got better at masking her bias. Who can forget her "skating in Russia" remark?

I don't understand the comments about Vanessa being sick during the olympics? That was 2010, and they didn't split for another full season.

Perhaps it wasn't clever for her as a commentator, but sorry not sorry she spoke the truth. Russia has been involved in many issues of questionable judging for years.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Exactly...instead of encouraging them to work hard and stay in there she told them they should quit...Which left a clear field for her number 1 team.

Oh, come on. When it costs tens of thousands of dollars every year to train and compete, and the Number One team comes back to work toward the Olympics and probably take one of two or at most three Olympic spots.....you're going to think about what *you* want to do or can afford to do, not about what some commentator is saying. Painting Lane's comments as some kind of evil secret plot to get all the other teams to quit so her team can move up - that's just silly.

VGThuy

She never made comments or pointed out their mistakes when commenting although she would with other teams.
Her comments were on CBC acting as if it was a huge shock that V/M were coming back although they always said then would take a break and then decide. Then she said there was no point in other cdn up and coming teams continuing and a few of her teams did and so did a few others.

I see nothing untrue here. Her shock face was more for the camera and the general audience as a lot of people were surprised when they announced their comeback, even people on this forum as not everybody follows V/M closely nor did they REALLY know they actually intended to come back as so many skaters take "breaks" and never come back. As for the no point in other Canadian up and coming teams continuing, I have to hear it. But it was what happened and other teams who Carol had no control over ended up doing just that. It costs lots of money, time, and resources to compete and once V/M came back, and many of those teams were just hoping to fight for a third Canadian spot as they were not medal contenders, so once it seemed there were no more Olympic spots for them for 2018 they decided that instead of waiting 6 years for a slight chance to make a team or be taken over by up and coming juniors, they decided to quit and move on with their lives.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Nor is it what she even said. She said, when asked by another commentator what V& M's return meant for the other teams, that it might mean less funding or assignments, which could have ramifications for Canada in the future. Nowhere did she encourage retirements.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
By the lead-up to Korea, G/P were considered more likely to overtake W/P than to be beaten by any of the teams behind them. G/P had beaten their closest competitors, Paul/Islam, in every head-to-head since 2014 Canadian Nationals and were improving quickly, while P/I were pretty stagnant. They had a two-element/fall lead over Paradis/Ouellette, and as much as I loved Orford/Hill (and P/I), they were not going to be factors for anything but 4C's, at best.

barbarafan

Nor is it what she even said. She said, when asked by another commentator what V& M's return meant for the other teams, that it might mean less funding or assignments, which could have ramifications for Canada in the future. Nowhere did she encourage retirements.
on CBC she did

barbarafan

Perhaps it wasn't clever for her as a commentator, but sorry not sorry she spoke the truth. Russia has been involved in many issues of questionable judging for years.

Can't disagree with probs. with Russian judges however in this case according to commentater there were bad mistakes. They were doing the pulling down the sleeves gimick right before the pattern which put Piper off balance and she skated part of the pattern on the flat of her blade. Not a great place to put the gimick...they moved it after that and put it in a place where it was not as crucial.
I will try hunting it up...If it was CBC it might be tricky as they have redone their website and it is really hard to find anything. It might also be Eurosport2...anyways I will look

VGThuy

I just wanted to say how shocked I am to see so many level 4 patters.

As Carol Lane would say, "Well, it's Canada." ;)

I'm only kidding. Those level 4s are a great achievement considering how hard it is to get them.

sharsk8s

I love W/P RD but I feel like the music doesnt go with the steps, especially during the pattern.

Dobre

I love W/P RD but I feel like the music doesnt go with the steps, especially during the pattern.

Ironically, I find that all the correct patterns feel like they don't go with the music. I think perhaps it is because there are steps required on the "and" of the beat.

(I have no idea if W&P's pattern levels from Nationals will hold up internationally. For that we wait for 4CCs & Worlds. I'm rooting for Kaitlyn & Andrew and this particular RD though).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There wasn't a point - it was clearly a joke - but apparently not clearly enough for everyone.

What's "clearer" is that the OP used a speculative comment - as in, one that was never said - as a reason to bash Lane. I don't think that's funny. YMMV.

Dobre

Breathe.

Weaver & Poje, themselves, had two level 2's on the pattern at Autumn Classic this season.
Gilles & Poirier have had everything from 1 & B to 3 & 3.

VGThuy

Lane never said, "Well, that's Canada", so LOLing at her team "only" getting L2s and L3s is a pretty cheap shot.

Just to be clear, my comment was just paraphrasing Lane saying "Well, it's Russia" during last season's Rostelecom Cup to make a joke about Canadian teams achieving all those level 4s, and it was also a wink to people always saying how there's Canadian inflation at Canadian events (and also the fact many Nationals has home inflation especially U.S. Nationals). I think said just kidding about that and how achieving level 4s in this pattern is an achievement.

NorthernDancers

So happy to have FB/S skating for Canada. What a win for Canada! They have been so under scored for such a long time, I'm looking forward to seeing how these programs are now received internationally. So happy to see W/P as champions again as well. They just keep improving and improving. Their RD is the best in the world in my opinion. And their FD is exceptional. G/P have improved, and this is their best program. It's beautiful to look at with some great lifts. But in my opinion the speed, flow, complexity out of W/P and FB/S is just at a different level. It will be interesting to see how the world results shake out. I think W/P could be on the podium and maybe FB/S top 8. I think internationally FB/S could very well/should finish ahead of G/P. S/F had a tough night, but I still think they have a lot of room to grow and improve and be the team in the wings in a few years. There's a lot great talent and basic skills there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information