CALLING ALL OUR ICE-DANCERS HERE...TELL ABOUT YOUR FIRST ICE-DANCE LESSON.

FSWer

Ok, all you Ice-Dancers out there!!! You have been reading about MY Ice-Dance lessons...now I want to hear from YOU all about YOUR first Ice-Dance lessons.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In my learn-to-skate classes, we learned mohawks, three-turns and edges, which are all elements that you use in ice dance. Then one instructor taught us progressives and swing rolls, and then taught us the Dutch Waltz (the first of the compulsory/pattern dances) to show us how those were used in ice dance. She also taught us about timing and listening to the music, and about the edges to use for each step in the dance.

But this was all part of learn-to-skate classes. So like a lot of skaters, I didn't really start ice dance by having a lesson that was only about ice dance. I started learning to ice dance as part of learning how to skate.

Susan1

I also learned all the basics in the ISI Alpha-Delta classes at our adult club in the 1990s. Then I learned freestyle moves - simple jumps/spins/spirals. I didn’t want to test or compete though. By the time my friends were into the Dance 3 level, I learned the Rhythm Blues (I can STILL say the steps in my head to the right music - like I'm the Only One or Black Velvet!) by following them on the ice, then the Canasta Tango and Swing Dance. They convinced me to take dance classes and test because I picked up the steps so easily. We had a dance coach at our club sessions so I said I’d try. I learned Dance 1 and 2 (progressives, swing rolls, etc. and the Dutch Waltz - I remember being the only person still on the ice when the Zam was half a rink away trying to get chasses right) and tested in May (<- see avatar) and was going to test Dance 3 in December, but broke my leg in August. I didn't get back on the ice for a year and only skated another year after that. I never, ever would have competed though.

Last edited:

Clarice

My very first ice dance lesson didn't include any dances at all. It was all about stroking and edges. Later I learned about swing rolls and progressives. It took several weeks before I started learning an actual dance pattern.

skateranika

My first ice-dance lesson was actually not very hard or anything. I was an accomplished synchro skater with my junior moves passed. We worked on the first three dances and I tested them rather soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information