British Skating News 2021-2022

Sylvia

TBD
FYI, we've been using this thread since late 2016 for GBR news - here's the link to the latest page of updates: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ating-notes-from-a-small-island.100223/page-5

BIS website updates in June:

ostile17

FYI, we've been using this thread since late 2016 for GBR news - here's the link to the latest page of updates: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ating-notes-from-a-small-island.100223/page-5

BIS website updates in June:

Sorry Sylvia, I've looked for a British thread but could not find it.

Sylvia

TBD
No need to apologize - it was started as a fan thread, which is why it's in the Trash Can forum.

Grand Prix assignments for GBR skaters:

Skate Canada International - Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON and Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI
NHK Trophy - Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON

Sylvia

TBD
Torvill and Dean have joined the team at British Ice Skating for a soon to be revealed "exciting project". :TnD1:
Torvill & Dean launch British Ice Skating Academy of Dance (July 13):
Excerpt from today's press release:
British Ice Skating (BIS) today launched an Academy of Dance with Olympic legends Torvill and Dean in association with Sheffield City Trust.
The 1984 gold-winning duo will work with BIS to offer greater opportunities for young ice dancers across the UK. As head coaches and mentors they will pass on their knowledge and experience in the sport to help create an accessible pathway for future Olympic champions. Skaters will be given the opportunity to develop the skills and characteristics needed to be champions on and off the ice.
More info: https://www.iceskating.org.uk/ice-dance-academy

T&D also are among the ISU's 2021 Lifetime Achievement award winners: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMcmySNijs/

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
This sounds cautiously positive, though it's unclear from the press release how much of this is new versus a rebranding of the existing IceSheffield dance operation with bonus T&D. I guess Chris Dean is back based in the UK most of the year now?

I think it's good that they're focusing on supporting mid-tier teams as they develop, joining up with the solo dance pathway which so many of the UK dance girls come through, and integrating off-ice support. There's always attrition in sport but it's easy to think of more than a few UK dancers who showed a lot of talent at junior level but never really made it through. Dance is the UK's strongest discipline, but I hope BIS in thinking about doing something similar for the others too. We can't rely on Zoe Jones forever!

I do wonder about how this will interact with other dance centres - how much is camps and how much is a full-time training structure for novice and junior couples. (As a case, the Humphries/Baranov group has built up a solid programme at Lee Valley, so it would be a shame if BIS start encouraging any promising teams there to move to Sheffield.)

Less substantively, they're calling T&D head coaches, but it's pretty clear they're consultants/mentors (and hopefully some Dean choreo) and others will be doing the day-to-day coaching legwork. And why is the logo of a couple doing a spiral, which I'd associate with pairs? :drama:

ostile17

This sounds cautiously positive, though it's unclear from the press release how much of this is new versus a rebranding of the existing IceSheffield dance operation with bonus T&D. I guess Chris Dean is back based in the UK most of the year now?

I think it's good that they're focusing on supporting mid-tier teams as they develop, joining up with the solo dance pathway which so many of the UK dance girls come through, and integrating off-ice support. There's always attrition in sport but it's easy to think of more than a few UK dancers who showed a lot of talent at junior level but never really made it through. Dance is the UK's strongest discipline, but I hope BIS in thinking about doing something similar for the others too. We can't rely on Zoe Jones forever!

I do wonder about how this will interact with other dance centres - how much is camps and how much is a full-time training structure for novice and junior couples. (As a case, the Humphries/Baranov group has built up a solid programme at Lee Valley, so it would be a shame if BIS start encouraging any promising teams there to move to Sheffield.)

Less substantively, they're calling T&D head coaches, but it's pretty clear they're consultants/mentors (and hopefully some Dean choreo) and others will be doing the day-to-day coaching legwork. And why is the logo of a couple doing a spiral, which I'd associate with pairs? :drama:

Chris Dean has moved back to the UK for a couple of months now. He even mentioned that during the Skating Awards chat on Saturday.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Chris Dean has moved back to the UK for a couple of months now. He even mentioned that during the Skating Awards chat on Saturday.
Thanks. The ISU Awards are too cringy for me, but I might fast forward through to T&D’s interview. From what I saw of them, Dean’s US teams were generally more interesting than most young/lower level skaters, so I’m looking forward to seeing his work with the UK novice and junior dancers.

antmanb

I wonder how much time T&D will actually spend on this. I expect it's Mark Hanretty's gig really with the T&D name to give it some shine. Once we hit January they'll be full time on DOI anyway so I doubt they will have much input right when Euros, Olys and Worlds happens.

Does Jimmy Young still coach at Ice Sheffield?

Rossig

I wonder how much time T&D will actually spend on this. I expect it's Mark Hanretty's gig really with the T&D name to give it some shine. Once we hit January they'll be full time on DOI anyway so I doubt they will have much input right when Euros, Olys and Worlds happens.
If Mark is still a pro on DOI, he might not have that much time either.

ostile17

Does Jimmy Young still coach at Ice Sheffield?
With Chris back in the UK they can do a lot of work in the remaining months, and DOI won't last forever.

They are both very excited about the project so I am sure they will devote to it all the time it requires.
I can't wait to see the results!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Karly anyone? :shuffle:
Awww ;) Probably not going to happen this year is it, now that Natasha has qualified the spot for GB… I’m not sure if the BOA will set any criteria for her to meet - I am really out of touch.

Hopefully Karly will win this qualifier anyway and do some internationals and we’ll get to see her programmes.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I'm excited about the potential for a full podium of pairs this year! :cheer2:

Is this the only opportunity for pairs and dance to qualify for the British Championship this year? The ways of BIS (and trying to find information on their website) remain a mystery to me.
There’s a qualifier in October, it’s not in Dundee this year though, it’s Sheffield again.

There are a few names I hoped to see competing that aren’t listed so hopefully they will do the next one and haven’t moved on or switched countries…

ETA: does anyone know if Zoe and Chris are still planning to compete or if they have retired now?

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Thanks for the info - glad there's a second qualifier, and hopefully next year they'll manage to have some events which aren't in Sheffield.

There are a few names I hoped to see competing that aren’t listed so hopefully they will do the next one and haven’t moved on or switched countries…
Me too. And the fields for junior and especially novice dance are pretty sparse. But there are always so many new partnerships at those levels so after the rink closures in the spring it makes sense if they're not ready to go in August.
ETA: does anyone know if Zoe and Chris are still planning to compete or if they have retired now?
They're still on the GP entry list, so if they have retired they haven't told the ISU. :)

antmanb

Me too. And the fields for junior and especially novice dance are pretty sparse. But there are always so many new partnerships at those levels so after the rink closures in the spring it makes sense if they're not ready to go in August.
I'm guessing that the rink closures due to C19 have stopped a lot of the developing skaters in their tracks.

Losing over a year of training at that point and losing skills that had previously been obtained is likely to result in more skaters quitting/taking up or pursuing other athletic endeavours that they can do without the need for facilities that can be locked down? Also as hard as keeping skills as you go through puberty is, at least when you're training every day its adjustments to a constantly changing body, imagine not setting foot on the ice for a year and going back a foot taller?

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Yeah, and I'd guess the enforced break also caused a lot skaters to reassess what they want from skating and how it fits with the rest of their lives.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
So sad, Ana and Luke have had to withdraw from the qualifier as she has had a positive test :fragile:

They were at the monitoring session a few weeks ago so hopefully they will still get internationals.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Some early season international assignments for Team GB skaters:

Senior B

Sasha Fear / George Waddell were at LPIDC in Boston a couple of weeks ago and placed 10th. Qualifying for a second Olympic slot at Nebelhorn looking like a long shot, unfortunately.

Lombardia Trophy (Challenger Series): Nina Povey, Kristen Spours and Graham Newberry. No dance. :(

Autumn Classic International (Challenger Series): Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson (And I should probably stop thinking of Olivia Smart as a British skater now she's heading into her sixth season competing for Spain....)

Junior Grand Prix

JGP Courchevel I: Joseph Zakipour (12th), Vasilisa Ahramenka / Alessio Surenkov-Gultchev (also 12th). Zakipour hit the tech minimum for Junior Worlds in the SP - and props to him for competing in Courchevel on Saturday and then again in Sheffield for the qualifier on Tuesday. Nottingham skater Abi Liew was also there, competing for Malaysia.

JGP Courchevel II: Edward Appleby, Natalia Pallu-Neves / Jayin Panesar (a new team, I think)

JGP Kosice: Sophia Bussell / Alex Lapsky (looks like another new team)

JGP Krasnoyarsk: Elena Komova

JGP Ljubljana: Arabella Sear-Watkins, Freddie Leggott, Phebe Bekker / James Hernandez (yet another new team)

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Oh I wonder what happened to Emily? Their 13th place finish at Junior Worlds in 2019/20 was pretty promising
She chose to retire from competing, they parted on very good terms last summer.
I am excited to see how James does with his new partner :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information