Bill Cosby Meme Generator Backfires

once_upon

Better off than 2020
She was reportedly was 19. I don't find it that odd. Probably was trying to make it a relationship in her mind, so not to feel guilty or victimized even more by society. People saying "who would take pills without a question" or what did she expect going backstage, or any number of comments - she could have been trying to "legitimize" what happened

Desperado

I went backstage at a Bryan Adams concert and he didn't rape me. Going backstage isn't asking for it.
Me too!!! He was totally a good sport and a gentleman. Granted I did not get to the "deep" backstage where the nice sofas are, just the front room. Stephen Harper got the nice sofas. :D

On a more serious note, I've only recently been made aware of the nastiness of the "victim blaming" mindset. When I was young, it was just called "being careful".

Cachoo

This is awful if true. Now so many women worked for/with him and developed a trusting relationship are coming forward. The rape and absolute betrayal by someone they probably admired is sickening. I hope this isn't true but we keep hearing the same thing over and over again from different women.

Scrufflet

I found it fascinating to see the interview where Cosby told the interviewer to "scuttle" the part where he was questioned on the rapes. The interviewer (a male) was obviously scared and appeared to feel threatened. Imagine what it was like for the women! It would be really hard to stand up to this guy.
Did anyone see how The View handled this topic? I was horrified. Whoopi tried to imply that the women all had ulterior motives - falsely accusing a celebrity for personal gain (she's had that experience) and that she had a lot of questions for them before she'd decide. I was screaming at the TV by this point! Why doesn't she have a lot of questions for him? I do and for any other guy accused ( toss in Ghomeshi for good measure). What is your sexual history? How do you view consent? How do you know you have consent? What is your attitude re violence and aggression? How young do you like them? Have you ever hit a woman/girl? How far would you go? What's the dividing line? That's just for openers.
Rosie O. nailed her the next day by indicating the growing numbers were making her believe the women. I tuned in today and nothing was said. Now officially the elephant in the room, I guess.

Skittl1321

It was 1976, people were popping all kinds of pills left and right.
This was pretty much my thought.

She could have very well thought the pills would be interesting drugs. It's still a poor choice, but it doesn't mean she deserves to be raped.

(And even if she did end up dating him willingly, it still doesn't mean the first interaction was okay. Non-consensual sex is not okay.)

PeterG

Bill Cosby Takes the Stage for Stand-Up Show, Doesn't Address Sex Assault Allegations

This week supermodel Janice Dickinson and actress-turned-journalist Joan Tarshis came forward to share their stories. Since then, at least six more — One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest actress Louisa Moritz, The Incredible Hulk star Lou Ferrigno's wife Carla, model-actress Angela Leslie, model Renita Chaney Hill, a nurse named Therese Serignese, and a Florida woman named Linda Joy Traitz — have spoken out as well.

And a fan offers one male perspective:

"It's about his humor for me. I don't care about his personal life. I am here to enjoy what he does on stage. What he does behind closed doors is his business."

:rolleyes: + :soapbox:

Female. Why?

Female, huh? I just get the vibe you had little to worry around the never-married Adams. :)

ArtisticFan

The victim blaming goes on all the time, usually as a way that we can justify the actions of someone we respect or admire. It can also be the way we react because the truth or that version of it is too hard for us to handle.

It doesn't make it right though. I will never forget the first conversation I had with my mother after I told her about what had happened to me. She wanted to know if I had been dressed provocatively. I was underage and had said no (more than once). We've had the discussion since then about how much that question hurt me and how I had gone through whole therapy sessions over it.

While I'd love to believe Bill Cosby's innocence just based on the television persona, I can't help but doubt his credibility when so many are speaking out about him. People have questioned why someone would come out with the stories after all this time. It is my opinion that the emotional and mental wounds take much longer to heal. And given that there are strength in numbers, I have a hard time doubting their stories and accounts.

It is a sad situation all around, though. I feel for the women who are seeking justice or just trying to put the information out there. I also feel for Cosby's wife and daughters. That is a horrible situation for them to be in now.

Badams

"Female, huh? I just get the vibe you had little to worry around the never-married Adams"

Don't tell that to his baby-mama!

I think I had very little to worry about around the never married Bryan mostly because he's simply not a rapist though. ;)

Last edited:

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski
And a fan offers one male perspective:
:rolleyes: + :soapbox:

I remember there was an awful lot of that going on with Bill Clinton, too. I remember a whole lotta people saying that his personal life didn't matter as long as he was taking care of America's business.

In light of this I can't help but wonder if middle-aged Monica, the one with 20 years of life experience under her belt and a whole lotta perspective on her place in American history, is going to make a comeback one day.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
In light of this I can't help but wonder if middle-aged Monica, the one with 20 years of life experience under her belt and a whole lotta perspective on her place in American history, is going to make a comeback one day.
She's in the middle of one.

Though I do think the Clinton situation is a bit different because it was two consenting adults and no laws were broken. That doesn't mean the way the public treated Monica is okay though. But it's not like Clinton was accused of rape by multiple women either.

Fabrichnova

Lisa Bonet tweeted something that could be interpreted as a veiled confirmation of Cosby's crimes:

https://twitter.com/Lilakoi_Moon/status/535983829161611264

And actress Michelle Hurd from "Law & Order: SVU" apparently posted on Facebook that Cosby sexually harassed and threatened her and tried to get her alone when she was a stand-in on "The Cosby Show." What's worse is that another stand-in told her Cosby drugged and assaulted her.

Cheylana

Lisa Bonet tweeted something that could be interpreted as a veiled confirmation of Cosby's crimes:

https://twitter.com/Lilakoi_Moon/status/535983829161611264.
I always wondered what really happened between Bonet and Cosby. He basically banished her from the show for a time - supposedly because of having a nude scene in some bad movie with Mickey Rourke - then she eventually was allowed to come back as the step-mother of little Olivia, then she was gone again.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She's in the middle of one.

Though I do think the Clinton situation is a bit different because it was two consenting adults and no laws were broken. That doesn't mean the way the public treated Monica is okay though. But it's not like Clinton was accused of rape by multiple women either.

No, just by one woman.

susan6

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed these days with all this rape going on. In addition to the Cosby thing...my undergrad university is currently being rocked by a horrific gang rape scandal, the student residential area of my grad university was shot up by a psychopath who was pissed at women, my current place of employment has a likely rapist as a quarterback.

Parents of boys: what are you doing wrong?

tarotx

Not saying he's guilty but Bill Clinton had a few sexual assault accusers going back to college and perhaps if the media showed signs of believing them we might have even more and some truths. These women already have been violated and to be done so publicly just makes everyone else hide. It's the reason why no one believed the Bill Cosby ladies until now.

I'm glad woman are finally feeling comfortable to confess the hell they had to suffer.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed these days with all this rape going on. In addition to the Cosby thing...my undergrad university is currently being rocked by a horrific gang rape scandal, the student residential area of my grad university was shot up by a psychopath who was pissed at women, my current place of employment has a likely rapist as a quarterback.

Parents of boys: what are you doing wrong?
And I think one of the other questions to consider is it because women are finally being encouraged and believed when they report these things? I think that the situations are not really increasing as much as society is believing women that such things did and have happened.

Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I had heard some of these allegations back when Cosby would appear on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. and a discussion on how these "false allegations" were hurting his wife and kids with all the rumors. But perhaps that was someone else.

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski
If I am to be consistent in my thinking then I must admit a greater respect for Morozov than Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby because while Morozov may have made some craptastic skating programs, I have never once seen, read or heard of him having engaged in any legally questionable activity. It's true that my eyeballs and senses have been assaulted by some artistically questionable male crotch grabbing in a few competitions on television, but all I've ever seen is that has conducted himself with nothing but utmost respect for the law and COP in both his personal and professional lives.

By golly, Morozov, you're a better man than Bill and Bill combined. Way to go! :40beers:

Desperado

21 women have come out and 12 provided their names I'm assuming from the last paragraph, all similar stories, this is way more than smoke.

Regarding the Cree Summer Twitter message, am I misreading this or is it from March 8, 2014? I think the Lisa Bonet "fake" account would've been taken care of by now. I checked the feed and even though it's not verified, it appears legit with pictures of herself and her kids.

ballettmaus

If I am to be consistent in my thinking then I must admit a greater respect for Morozov than Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby because while Morozov may have made some craptastic skating programs, I have never once seen, read or heard of him having engaged in any legally questionable activity. It's true that my eyeballs and senses have been assaulted by some artistically questionable male crotch grabbing in a few competitions on television, but all I've ever seen is that has conducted himself with nothing but utmost respect for the law and COP in both his personal and professional lives.

By golly, Morozov, you're a better man than Bill and Bill combined. Way to go! :40beers:

I think the reason you never heard any of what you hear/heard about Clinton and Cosby from Morozov is because Morozov's popularity doesn't even come close to that of Cosby and Clinton. Who'd listen if someone accused Morozov? Which is a sad aspect in itself, because a man's degree of popularity shouldn't matter when a woman gets violated and everyone should take notice no matter who the accused is.

I think there are a lot of problems regarding rape; one is certainly the law. Didn't they only recently change the fact that consent under the influence isn't actually consent?
Then there's the short statute of limitation, the fact that rapists can buy their way out rather easily and false accusations. It's a tough road as it is for women to be believed they were raped, even to this day, and one false accusation is probably setting the progress back years.

To those on the internet who were asking, why didn't the women report sooner, I doubt the law regarding rape was quite as strict as it is today. Considering that wives had to ask their husband's permission to be allowed to work until the early 70s, I can't imagine that a rape report was taken seriously in 1976. ...
Add drugs to the mix and I wonder if it even was considered rape under the law back then. :(

And writing all this, I can only wonder what's wrong with our society and why there is such a low regard for women and their rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information