As top stars step away, Canada asks ‘who next?’ in figure skating

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Nick McCarvel (he spoke to Mike Slipchuk, Kevin Reynolds and Elladj Balde, among others, in Kelowna):

ETA:

For those wondering, Kevin is coaching right now, as well as studying for the LSAT he's taking in a few weeks and plans on law school next year (he talks about his future plans after the five minute mark here):

Last edited:

oleada

Thanks, Sylvia.

Other junior names to watch representing the Maple Leaf: Stephen Gogolev and Aleksa Rakic in men’s singles, as well as a trio of pairs teams that medaled on the junior Grand Prix this fall season.

Who? No Canadian pairs teams medaled in the JGP this year. I assume they mean ice dance.

puglover

One of the things that warms my heart about the results this past weekend is that all three of the medal winners have had to show a lot of courage, patience and personal fortitude to get there. Both Paul in dance and Kirsten in pairs, faced criticism for leaving a successful partnership. Piper and Paul have believed in their vision and their team and kept going even though they were not getting the results they hoped for. Kirsten and Mike have had a hard uphill battle but continued to work hard and not give up. Nam, after a dazzling array of early success and wins, has had a daunting task climbing back up the rankings. Good for them!! When the going gets tough - the tough get going!!

Rock2

In terms of who is already senior, I see Brasseur/Bardei, Lajoie/Lagha and Cotop as having the most potential.

Among skaters competing in junior I think the most promising are Gogolev and Ruiter. I don't see any other 'special talents' although I continue to believe Zach Daleman is going to have a very good career.

That doesn't mean there aren't others that can't break through. There are lots of interesting junior men but until we see signs of a 3A, it's hard to forecast much at this point. Some good prospects in dance and pairs, too.

I'm just waiting for Bardei to get his citizenship, split with Brasseur after the Olympic season and pair up with someone else to completely tear up the next cycle. Maybe even Luba if she and Charlie don't continue...that'd be a hoot having them represent Canada

Sylvia

TBD
Who? No Canadian pairs teams medaled in the JGP this year. I assume they mean ice dance.
Yup. I missed seeing that, thanks. It's been corrected. ;)

The 3 ice dance teams are:
8 Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL CAN 9 + 13 (ITA) = 22 (304.88) 2nd alternate to JGPF
===
10 Emmy BRONSARD / Aissa BOUARAGUIA CAN 9 + 11 (CRO) = 20 (301.33)
11 Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT CAN 11 (RUS) + 9 = 20 (296.12)

Two 4th place finishes:
13 Miku MAKITA / Tyler GUNARA CAN 9 + 9 = 18 (303.74)

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

In terms of who is already senior, I see Brasseur/Bardei, Lajoie/Lagha and Cotop as having the most potential.

Among skaters competing in junior I think the most promising are Gogolev and Ruiter. I don't see any other 'special talents' although I continue to believe Zach Daleman is going to have a very good career.

That doesn't mean there aren't others that can't break through. There are lots of interesting junior men but until we see signs of a 3A, it's hard to forecast much at this point. Some good prospects in dance and pairs, too.

I'm just waiting for Bardei to get his citizenship, split with Brasseur after the Olympic season and pair up with someone else to completely tear up the next cycle. Maybe even Luba if she and Charlie don't continue...that'd be a hoot having them represent Canada

Madeline Scizas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information