As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

Susan1

So one local library system is closing (@Susan1, I hope you have books).

:eek:

Glad I read digitally!
Thanks for thinking of me. Yeah, I wrote about it in the virus thread. At first it was just the separate Washington Township system. Then Dayton libraries closed at 6 p.m. (until further notice). I got five reserved books about 1:30 p.m., plus I had 4 here!!! I was the only customer there, except for one guy who was carrying books from the car and might have just been dropping them off outside. I feel sorry for anybody who had reserved books on the shelves (and there weren't many) who couldn't get them in time.

I copied the library notice when they were staying open in the virus thread yesterday (or Wednesday, who knows) too, without classes or meetings rooms or anything, and I was afraid this was going to happen. And I said this was the first time I ever wished I had a tablet to check out books with.

Susan1

Thanks for thinking of me. Yeah, I wrote about it in the virus thread. At first it was just the separate Washington Township system. Then Dayton libraries closed at 6 p.m. (until further notice). I got five reserved books about 1:30 p.m., plus I had 4 here!!! I was the only customer there, except for one guy who was carrying books from the car and might have just been dropping them off outside. I feel sorry for anybody who had reserved books on the shelves (and there weren't many) who couldn't get them in time.

I copied the library notice when they were staying open in the virus thread yesterday (or Wednesday, who knows) too, without classes or meetings rooms or anything, and I was afraid this was going to happen. And I said this was the first time I ever wished I had a tablet to check out books with.
Replying instead of editing - OMG, I REALLY got lucky.

They left a recorded message yesterday at 9:30 that I "have one or more items ready to pick up at the Miamisburg library". I checked the website and it said there was one and that four others had shipped, which could be forever. I didn't go yesterday in case they processed any of them later that day. They did not call at 9:30 this morning. I checked at 10 a.m. and none of them had been received and put on hold. They must have known they were going to close and rushed all the holds through because when I got there all five were there. But, if I wouldn't have gone today, there would have been an automatic recorded message tomorrow telling me I had items to pick up. And I wouldn't have been able to go. Lucky Friday the 13th. Now I'll probably die before I can read them all.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The other local libraries are following suit; none of them will be open after tomorrow. :eek:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Our library system closed down today - fortunately I have 6 books, plus the GF always has like 30 (although only about 4-5 fiction). I was considering making a last dash down to grab some more peak picks, but a friend posted on FB that one of the more residential libraries was a zoo; the central library, where I would have gone, was probably bonkers.

If I somehow run out of library books in the next month, I still have Anna Karenina to finish :shuffle:

mjb52

Our library system closed down today - fortunately I have 6 books, plus the GF always has like 30 (although only about 4-5 fiction). I was considering making a last dash down to grab some more peak picks, but a friend posted on FB that one of the more residential libraries was a zoo; the central library, where I would have gone, was probably bonkers.

If I somehow run out of library books in the next month, I still have Anna Karenina to finish :shuffle:

Have you read War and Peace yet? :)

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I have more than 1000 books on my Nook and so many digital library books that I am struggling to keep up with them, so I will never run out of books unless the electricity goes out. I have a lot of print books to read while the sun's out if that happens.

It's more the idea that libraries are closing. This is truly the end times.

Susan1

I noticed the last two times I was in the Miamisburg library, there were not any books on the 7 day shelf, and very few on the "new arrivals" shelves.

Susan1

Replying instead of editing - OMG, I REALLY got lucky.

They left a recorded message yesterday at 9:30 that I "have one or more items ready to pick up at the Miamisburg library". I checked the website and it said there was one and that four others had shipped, which could be forever. I didn't go yesterday in case they processed any of them later that day. They did not call at 9:30 this morning. I checked at 10 a.m. and none of them had been received and put on hold. They must have known they were going to close and rushed all the holds through because when I got there all five were there. But, if I wouldn't have gone today, there would have been an automatic recorded message tomorrow telling me I had items to pick up. And I wouldn't have been able to go. Lucky Friday the 13th. Now I'll probably die before I can read them all.
Replying to myself again for whoever wants to read it - I was checking the library site for the due date of the books I got yesterday and saw that another of my holds had been shipped. Oh well. I wonder what they do with all these books in-transit. What a mess it will be when the libraries open again. I wonder if the workers will go in and shelve returns and unpack stuff - just no customers (I mean patrons). I'd do it.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I read Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects yesterday. I've never read Gone Girl, but damn, are all her characters completely unlikable? Still a compelling story, but I always like to have someone to root for. But when the main character decides to get drunk and do X with her 13 year old sister, well....

Recommended, with reservations.

Susan1

I hated all the people in Gone Girl. I had to force myself to finish it. I DVRd the movie one time, but I never felt like watching it and deleted it.

Erin

Banned Member
I read Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects yesterday. I've never read Gone Girl, but damn, are all her characters completely unlikable?

In short, yes. Now that said, I was strangely rooting for both main characters in Gone Girl, even as awful as they are.

So far I have used most of my extra time from not going out for rereading books, but I’m hoping to start something new soon.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
I haven't read Gone Girl or Sharp Objects but I will say the Sharp Objects miniseries with Amy Adams was great. Obviously if you already know how it turns out it might not be as good, but in these days of isolation, might be worth looking at.

mattiecat13

I haven't read Gone Girl or Sharp Objects but I will say the Sharp Objects miniseries with Amy Adams was great. Obviously if you already know how it turns out it might not be as good, but in these days of isolation, might be worth looking at.
Dark Places was my favorite. I just finished Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson and I would recommend it.

Susan1

Dark Places was my favorite. I just finished Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson and I would recommend it.
That's on my list. Oh well.

If the library is closed longer than the three weeks, I'm going to have to have some guidance here on buying a Kindle or whatever. Yikes.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I am blowing through books. Sheesh. I just finished The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith, which I thought was a dystopian novel based on the plot description, and I guess it some elements of that. But mostly it's the story of a refugee thrown into a weird summer camp in the US. It has its moments, but my goodness, is every female character written by Andrew Smith awful? I'd forgotten he'd written Grasshopper Jungle, which fell apart at the end (and has what I would describe as a rape at that point, though I don't think the author thought that). While this one stays strong all the way through, the only two female characters are a meek, mousy woman, and another who wants to eradicate men from the earth. Weird.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I have been inundated with books from the library and have to put several back on hold because I can't keep up, but two I remember reading (because I just finished them):

Long Bright River by Liz Moore: I read so many rave reviews that I had to read it. I should say up front that the book is written in present tense (I know that bothers some people), bounces between past and present all the time (ditto) and doesn't use conventional punctuation for dialogue (which really bugs me) but other than that, I thought this was a very good book--a mystery, a social commentary and something of a (belated) coming of age story all in one.

Conviction by Denise Mina: The plot strains credulity, but every time I would think "I'm not reading any more of this," there would be a funny line or a cliffhanger to keep me going. If you read it, be aware that the snarky lines do not turn up until later in the book, as the first part of the book is drama on steroids. But there is social media, #MeToo, social media, divorce, addiction, eating disorders, social criticism, social media (the book focuses a lot on social media), the absolute privilege of the 1%, and a murder mystery, and all of it rolls along at top speed.

Susan1

From the library Q&A page : "The World Health Organization has reported studies that indicate the coronavirus diminishes after 24 hours on paper/cardboard, and after 48–72 hours on plastic and other surfaces; our current practice keeps returned materials away from the public and our staff well beyond these times."

I haven't touched the books I got since I brought them home Friday because I was reading one I already had.

No "public", but someone is working in the back, so the book drop won't get too full. Even though you don't HAVE to return books now, if I ever read, I will drop them off a couple at a time so I don't have to return them all at once.

Last edited:

genevieve

Staff member
I'm still like #234 in line for that one, and considering the library is closed for god knows how long, I might as well just buy the damned thing.

by Denise Mina: The plot strains credulity, but every time I would think "I'm not reading any more of this," there would be a funny line or a cliffhanger to keep me going. If you read it, be aware that the snarky lines do not turn up until later in the book, as the first part of the book is drama on steroids. But there is social media, #MeToo, social media, divorce, addiction, eating disorders, social criticism, social media (the book focuses a lot on social media), the absolute privilege of the 1%, and a murder mystery, and all of it rolls along at top speed.
I read Mina's Garnethill series, and enjoyed them but haven't picked up any of her other books since then. Will try to check out.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I'm still like #234 in line for that one, and considering the library is closed for god knows how long, I might as well just buy the damned thing.

I was somewhere around there two weeks ago and was pretty shocked when it turned up on my Nook a few days ago. You may get it sooner than you think.

annie720

Almost through reading Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout. It's funny, when I was reading her Olive Kitteridge books, I wanted her to focus on the main characters and not make every chapter a short story with new characters. Now that I'm reading a book of hers that is more like a traditional novel, I'm tired of the characters and I want new ones. :)

genevieve

Staff member
I was somewhere around there two weeks ago and was pretty shocked when it turned up on my Nook a few days ago. You may get it sooner than you think.
I don't do e-books, so I'll still be 234 in line when (if? :fragile: ) the library opens again.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I don't do e-books, so I'll still be 234 in line when (if? :fragile: ) the library opens again.

That's too bad, because every now and then, I will be offered a 7-day ebook that skips me straight to the top of the line. There have been a couple where I've been in the 300+ range and gotten the book within two days.

Of course I have to read said book in a week, but no worries there.

ETA: Finally! Macmillan blinked.

ryanj07

Almost through reading Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout. It's funny, when I was reading her Olive Kitteridge books, I wanted her to focus on the main characters and not make every chapter a short story with new characters. Now that I'm reading a book of hers that is more like a traditional novel, I'm tired of the characters and I want new ones. :)

I just can’t with Elizabeth Strout. I read “The Burgess Boys” by her and wasn’t impressed but decided to give her another chance so I went with “My name is Lucy Barton.” It was truly awful and absolutely in my bottom 3 books of the last few years. I’ve heard her Olive series is better but there are enough mixed reviews out there for me to stay away from her books in the foreseeable future lol.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
All you people who don't do ebooks... we're at war! That means doing ebooks if that's what it takes. ;)

Given that I have much more limited storage space than I had a few years ago, I don't think I could make it without my e-books. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about returning them to the library.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I was going to write the same thing. I read Sharp Objects because I thought the miniseries was pretty good ('enjoy' might be the wrong word). The ending was slightly different in the book, and I actually think the TV version ending was better. But it was odd to read a book where I didn't' like any of the characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information