Appreciation thread/videos for late great skaters

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I hope it isn’t too soon after the tragic news of Katia for a thread like this, but I mean it as a positive thing. Several people are also posting about the loss of Chris Reed, Denis Ten, etc, and I thought it would be nice to see other FSUers’ favourite performances by skaters sadly no longer with us. I’d certainly like to watch what people consider to be the best skates from Katia and Harley if anyone feels able to share, I feel I probably don’t remember them at their best :(

I’d like to start with a British skater who IIRC trained in LA with Frank Carroll for a while, he then moved to skate for Australia and sadly got ill, came home and ultimately died in 2013 after years of illness :fragile: I stayed with his family, I think it was in 2010, and it was heartbreaking to see him barely able to walk from illness but still dragging himself to the rink every day to faithfully coach his pupils. There aren’t any videos out there of him at his best but there is this one when he was ill, you can still see he was a beautiful skater.
At his best he could do 4t and 3a and he was a true artist. I’m sad there aren’t videos but I remember.

Sorry if this thread is too soon - I mean it as a positive thing, to remember and appreciate late skaters, whether they were well known or not so much. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some more videos :)

Sylvia

TBD
@Colonel Green posted their 2017 Junior Worlds free skate that won them the historic gold medal in the GSD thread (includes a bit of their kiss & cry interview at the end):

ETA:

ISU uploaded both of their 2017 Junior Worlds programs to their channel on July 21:

Last edited:

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I hope it isn’t too soon after the tragic news of Katia for a thread like this, but I mean it as a positive thing. Several people are also posting about the loss of Chris Reed, Denis Ten, etc, and I thought it would be nice to see other FSUers’ favourite performances by skaters sadly no longer with us. I’d certainly like to watch what people consider to be the best skates from Katia and Harley if anyone feels able to share, I feel I probably don’t remember them at their best.

Sorry if this thread is too soon - I mean it as a positive thing, to remember and appreciate late skaters, whether they were well known or not so much. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some more videos :)
It's understandable, there are scores of skaters who even FSU aficionados aren't that familiar with, such is a good way of remembering them.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
@Colonel Green posted their 2017 Junior Worlds free skate that won them the historic gold medal in the GSD thread (includes a bit of their kiss & cry interview at the end):
Thank you Sylvia, I must have missed that. Wow shame about that last throw, other than that amazing, and unbelievable that was their very first season :eek:

I❤️Marina&Sergai

I hope it isn’t too soon after the tragic news of Katia for a thread like this, but I mean it as a positive thing. Several people are also posting about the loss of Chris Reed, Denis Ten, etc, and I thought it would be nice to see other FSUers’ favourite performances by skaters sadly no longer with us. I’d certainly like to watch what people consider to be the best skates from Katia and Harley if anyone feels able to share, I feel I probably don’t remember them at their best :(

I’d like to start with a British skater who IIRC trained in LA with Frank Carroll for a while, he then moved to skate for Australia and sadly got ill, came home and ultimately died in 2013 after years of illness :fragile: I stayed with his family, I think it was in 2010, and it was heartbreaking to see him barely able to walk from illness but still dragging himself to the rink every day to faithfully coach his pupils. There aren’t any videos out there of him at his best but there is this one when he was ill, you can still see he was a beautiful skater.
At his best he could do 4t and 3a and he was a true artist. I’m sad there aren’t videos but I remember.

Thanks for this it’s a very thoughtful way to remember people by sharing what they loved doing and what was hopefully one the happiest times of their lives

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
One more from me. I loved Denis Ten’s Danse Macabre SP. IIRC he messed up a jump at all his big competitions that season :( although still medalled at the Olys of course! This is a good performance although not an ideal video. I think his Ice Challenge skate was even better but the only video I can find is filmed at one end of the rink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information