9 dead in Toronto after van attack :(

Tinami Amori

I think it's disgusting that the word "terrorist" has been put away now that they're sure he's an incel. He's still a fcuking terrorist. Why is this so hard?
:D Then you need to fight the Canadian laws, not some "abstract people and entities" who "put away the word "terrorist".

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenstra...rorism-charges?utm_term=.piL3Rr0nA#.itGjPxyEo
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-12.html
An attack carried out with a rented van Monday in Toronto that killed 10 people and injured 16 others has not resulted in terrorism charges, police said Friday.

"We haven’t met that threshold," Homicide Inspector Bryan Bott said.

Terrorism charges in Canada, according to section 83 of the Criminal Code, are acts committed for "political, religious or ideological" reasons. Canada’s Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale said earlier this week the incident had "no national security connection."

although, i personally would consider "incel" movement an ideology, but only if it became a recurrent problem in terms of violence (and hopefully not).

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The definition of terrorist is unlawfully using violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

So technically if you a doing what you do because of a political motive then it is terrorism which you could class these individuals as part of a movement trying to make a point. However I think when it is a situation like this one where it is just a individual behaving badly because they are p*ssed off, it is very difficult to think of it as terrorism because we are looking at nutjob who basically can't get a root.

Tinami Amori

Twilight1

I think it's disgusting that the word "terrorist" has been put away now that they're sure he's an incel. He's still a fcuking terrorist. Why is this so hard?

ITA- If you invoke terror in the public... you are a terrorist.

Twilight1

I don't care what the legal definition is. You cause trauma to people by invoking terror... you are a terrorist.

Tinami Amori

I don't care what the legal definition is. You cause trauma to people by invoking terror... you are a terrorist.
It is not just a general "legal definition". It's part of Canadian Law. So you're basically saying "you don't agree with Canadian current Law".. :lol:

Twilight1

It is not just a general "legal definition". It's part of Canadian Law. So you're basically saying "you don't agree with Canadian current Law".. :lol:

I care about basic common compassion and common sense when it comes to terrorism.

Legal definition is simply legalities. I work with many trauma victims and they experienced terror in various facets. I am not going to tell those people they did not face terror because it doesn't fit into Canadian legal definitions.

And there are LOTS of Canadian laws I disagree with. As there are many others disagree with... (abortion being a big one) doesn't make someones opinion any less valid. ;)

Tinami Amori

... I care about basic common compassion and common sense when it comes to terrorism.
---
...Legal definition is simply legalities.
---
... doesn't make someones opinion any less valid. ;)
- "common sense" is often subjective
- "legal definitions" affect trials and verdicts
- and yes, we all have rights to have opinions :lol:

Just out of curiosity, are these people terrorists? they certainly terrorize and physically threaten the neighborhoods, families and children.. People are afraid to walk on the streets....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PCoGmXVWs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4yjue96E4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kyXs29E5Ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKAleVdp6s

Twilight1

One of my dearest coworkers (one getting married) is in Canada because her country became a US war zone for supposed weapons of mass destruction that was trumped up bulls&&te. Her family had to flee all based on lies. Now it is perpetual war zone.

That is terrorism imho.
Movie theatre massacre- terrorism
School shooting- terrorism
Twin towers- terrorism
war zone systemic rape- terrorism
Mowing down citizens because of some bulls*#e reason in a van or truck- terrorism
Starving citizens and preventing aid aka Saudi Arabia to Yemen- terrorism

The crap you just posted was not labeled as "terrorism"

And legal definition aside...

terrorism definition includes- "Terrorism involves the use or threat of violence and seeks to create fear, not just within the direct victims but among a wide audience."

So Canadian law is just that... law.

Encyclopedia Britannica labels it in multiple ways. :D

triple_toe

Being terrorized by an act is not the same thing as that act counting legally as terrorism. That doesn't take away the weight of the act, but it speaks to the legalities, which are relevant in their sphere.

Twilight1

But one can look at terrorism from the dictionary definition and from the legal definition. 2 different things and both correct. ;)

skatingguy

decently

Woman, 65, dies of injuries suffered in 2018 Toronto van attack​

Amaresh Tesfamariam had been in hospital since she was struck, police say

A 65-year-old woman who suffered severe injuries in Toronto's deadly van attack has died after spending more than three years in hospital, police announced Thursday.

Police said in a news release that Amaresh Tesfamariam of Toronto had been in hospital since the attack on April 23, 2018, and died on Oct. 28 of the injuries she suffered.

Tesfamariam was one of 14 people struck when Alek Minassian drove a rented van down a sidewalk on Yonge Street, near Finch Avenue, that day. Her death raises the number of people who died to 11.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Horrible! Condolences to the victims' families.

I hope the culprits Will be caught and receive the maximum punishment under the law.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information