2026 Olympic Host Vote (24 June 2019): And then there were two....

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I was hoping for Stockholm, but I will settle for Milan. At least it is European time zone, not Asian.

KCC

Wow! I LOVE Cortina d'Ampezzo! Been there hiking 5 times (all in August/September), and used Cortina as my home base every time. If I remember correctly, it is a pretty small mountain village with no train service. The mountains are gorgeous, not as tall as some others, but the total drop is still impressive. The last time I was there, it was 9-11, and the hotel manager just kept saying "CNN, CNN" to us over and over as we walked into the building. I need to seriously consider going to this Olympics!

Tinami Amori

Can someone pls explain why for the Italian location named "Cortina d'Ampezzo" also lists "Milan"?
  • it is a 5 hour drive without traffic, and a 6-7 hour drive with normal traffic.
  • the nearest airport is Mestre/Venice... or even Triest...

Are they splitting figure skating (to Milan) and skiing (to Cortina)?

Sylvia

TBD
IOC press release: https://www.olympic.org/news/milan-cortina-awarded-the-olympic-winter-games-2026
Italy is a sport-loving nation, and winter sports are part of the tradition, culture and identity of Northern Italy. The region has world-class winter sports venues, ranging from the ice arenas of Milan to the well-established and iconic World Cup and World Championship destinations of Cortina, Bormio, Antholz and Val di Fiemme.
The plan is fully in line with the Olympic Agenda 2020 reforms, which call for making maximum use of existing and temporary venues if there is no post-Games demand for new permanent facilities.
With regard to competition venues, Milan-Cortina 2026 prioritises sustainability and legacy, as 13 out of a total 14 facilities (93 per cent) will be existing or temporary.
AFP article: https://www.afp.com/en/news/824/vic...cortina-host-2026-winter-olympics-doc-1ht15m3
The event will run from February 6-22, 2026 with the opening ceremony at the San Siro football stadium and the closing ceremony at Verona's Arena, a large Roman amphitheatre.
Support for Italy's bid had grown in recent months to 83 percent of Italians, according to an IOC poll carried out before an inspection of venues in April.
In Milan, 87 percent were in favour of the Olympics, while in the region of Lombardy, of which Milan is the capital, it was 81 percent and Cortina's Veneto region, 80 percent.
Figure skating, hockey and short-track speedskating will be held in Milan, with sliding sports and curling in Cortina; and speedskating, biathlon and Nordic sports would take place at Trentino-Alto Adige.
The alpine skiing events will be in Bormio for the men and Cortina for women.
ETA: Verona is where many of the "Opera on Ice" shows were held previously... :cool: location for a closing ceremony!

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

How come they can't just go ahead and award the 2030 Olympics to Stockholm, rather than going thru the whole process again?

Jammers

Hmmm Italy gets another Winter Olympics which will make twice in 20 years. It does seem ridiculous that Sweden keeps getting rejected though. Hard to believe they have never hosted a Winter Games.

Josh78

Salt Lake City may bid for 2030, if I remember correctly.

The bid process for the 2030 Winter Olympics doesn't even START until 2021, with the bid awarded in 2023, so there's awhile to wait yet -- but already Salt Lake City is considered to be a favorite to host those, because by 2030, it'll have been 20 years since the last NA city (Vancouver) hosted a WOG and 28 years since a US city last hosted a WOG...

(Edited to add in later: Let me also clarify that the USOC already green-lighted SLC as the US 2030 Olympic bid city last year I think, I believe they beat out Denver)

Last edited:

Polaris

How in the world does Italy have enough money to host the Olympics, and at such a frequency? The country's economic growth is negligible, and the Olympics are enormously costly.

BaileyCatts

Okay so then what was the deal when they awarded both the 2024 and 2028 Summer Games at the same time? Wasn't it that whoever finished 1st in voting got 2024 and whoever finished second got 2028? I really don't remember how that worked and maybe that's just what I made up in my head. :lol: But how come that happened with 2024 and 2028 getting awarded at the same time?

Vagabond

Okay so then what was the deal when they awarded both the 2024 and 2028 Summer Games at the same time? Wasn't it that whoever finished 1st in voting got 2024 and whoever finished second got 2028? I really don't remember how that worked and maybe that's just what I made up in my head. :lol: But how come that happened with 2024 and 2028 getting awarded at the same time?
Los Angeles had a very strong candidacy and had hosted twice before, including the 1984 Games, which (boycott aside) are considered to have been very well run. L.A. agreed to let Paris go first in exchange for getting the 2028 Games. And there were no obvious potential North or South American hosts for 2028.

Stockholm's bid contemplated staging the Alpine events in Åre, which is about 400 miles away from Stockholm, and in Latvia, which is an hour away by plane and at least 14 hours by ferry from Stockholm. Although the IOC awarded consecutive Winter Games to European sites as recently as the 1992/1994, in 2030 will have twenty years since the Vancouver Games. Regardless of whether there would be other North American sites bidding, Salt Lake City would be a good host, with good facilities, a high chance of good snow, and potential venues easily accessible from downtown SLC.

mjb52

Hmmm Italy gets another Winter Olympics which will make twice in 20 years. It does seem ridiculous that Sweden keeps getting rejected though. Hard to believe they have never hosted a Winter Games.

Norwegian mafia :sekret::hat1::EVILLE::bloc::blocjudge:soapbox::mitchell:

Orm Irian

Actually that might be the problem; I remember reading somewhere that as part of keeping the costs down and convincing cities it was viable to host the Games, the IOC is preferencing bids where most or all of the infrastructure is already in place for the moment.

Jammers

The bid process for the 2030 Winter Olympics doesn't even START until 2021, with the bid awarded in 2023, so there's awhile to wait yet -- but already Salt Lake City is considered to be a favorite to host those, because by 2030, it'll have been 20 years since the last NA city (Vancouver) hosted a WOG and 28 years since a US city last hosted a WOG...

(Edited to add in later: Let me also clarify that the USOC already green-lighted SLC as the US 2030 Olympic bid city last year I think, I believe they beat out Denver)
Not sure the IOC will let the US host two straight Olympics since the US will also host the Summer games in 2028. Seems like Canada might be a good choice for a bid for 2030 since it will have been 20 years since the Vancouver Olympics. I will say the SLC Winter Olympics were one of the best ever i think.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

I think by now we all know that who gets chosen to host the Olympics can depend on factors other than which country puts in the best bid.

D

Deleted member 40371

Disappointed it went to Italy under present government, even more surprised that no media is talking about human rights etc. I wish they would be consistent.

Vagabond

Disappointed it went to Italy under present government, even more surprised that no media is talking about human rights etc. I wish they would be consistent.
There is a difference between a government and a regime.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Hun, if it didn't bother the ISU that it went to Korea or China Italy is not even on their radar. Human rights is barely a factor it seems anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information