2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games, Gangwon KOR, Jan. 26-Feb. 1

mtnskater

Fun event and great experience for the skaters. Sherry and Jacob did very well, as did Ilin and Cain. Loved the French dance team and Jia Shin as always. I’m a bit perplexed how Team Korea got the gold medal without fielding a pair team. Are these different rules than the senior team events???

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Fun event and great experience for the skaters. Sherry and Jacob did very well, as did Ilin and Cain. Loved the French dance team and Jia Shin as always. I’m a bit perplexed how Team Korea got the gold medal without fielding a pair team. Are these different rules than the senior team events???
They only used points from 3 disciplines.

KOR - 5+5+3 = 13
USA - 4+4+4 = 12

Colonel Green

Different rules. There were only two countries to qualify in all four disciplines that actually had pair teams, so the three highest ordinals for each team counted. This obviously was still an advantage for the US and Canada since they were guaranteed 4-5 points from pairs.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
They only used points from 3 disciplines.

KOR - 5+5+3 = 13
USA - 4+4+4 = 12
Yes, it appears that a team's "worst" score was dropped, thus each team had 3 scores (or was that just coincidence for USA and Canada?). It was confusing for the commentators as well, as they thought that USA had it "in the bag" with four disciplines.

'Ya learn something new every day!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Shiqi Gao is FOURTEEN? She looks barely old enough for second grade!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Am I hallucinating or did Sherry skate with a wad of cotton in her nose? :huh: Her skate was all the more impressive if she was out there with a nosebleed!

skatfan

Yes, it appears that a team's "worst" score was dropped, thus each team had 3 scores (or was that just coincidence for USA and Canada?). It was confusing for the commentators as well, as they thought that USA had it "in the bag" with four disciplines.

'Ya learn something new every day!
Thanks for the explanation! I watched through to the women beginning and thought the USA had it in the bag based on the announcers. The actual scoring seems much fairer so even though it dropped the USA to silver that’s a good thing.

Desperado

The announcer was so annoying “it’s ruining the event!!” (because we only had 2 pairs teams). Petra has to tell him there were qualifying rules for the Youth Olympics. Sigh…

For many reasons, I’m finding the TE more and more unnecessary.

skatingguy

decently
The announcer was so annoying “it’s ruining the event!!” (because we only had 2 pairs teams). Petra has to tell him there were qualifying rules for the Youth Olympics. Sigh…

For many reasons, I’m finding the TE more and more unnecessary.
I think the thing to focus on is the skating. Whether it's the Youth Olympics, or the Olympic Team Event, the skating during these team events has often been amazing, and among the most memorable skating of the Olympics. Too me that's why these events are worthwhile.

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I watched the Closing Ceremony on YouTube this evening - I found it very interesting that Thomas Bach was standing among the Ukrainian athletes for his introduction at the beginning. This is a bit ironic in relation to his stance regarding Paris...

skatingguy

decently
I watched the Closing Ceremony on YouTube this evening - I found it very interesting that Thomas Bach was standing among the Ukrainian athletes for his introduction at the beginning. This is a bit ironic in relation to his stance regarding Paris...
He's terrified that a Ukrainian boycott could lead to a domino effect. Needs to keep everyone placated, which will please no one.

Stephanie

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information