2024 Canadian Championships Sr Women FS - Baby it's cold outside!!

honey

I think platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime are really taking a toll on a number of sports. People clearly aren’t following FS like they used to. I remember it always being on tv (on one of the 25 channels we had). Now there are 400 channels, numerous platforms to stream shows etc. it’s sad.

And the turn out for this event is quite frankly pathetic. They should have had it at a small community arena with a 1,000 capacity if this is all they can get to turn out. A far cry from Nationals a few years ago. It’s just bizarre. Last nats for me was Saint John I think, or Vancouver…. Regardless they had a much better “vibe” than this. This time around it feels like you are at a practice rink watching run thoughs. The skaters deserve better .
Turn out was abysmal in Saint John as well, though I think some nasty weather played a part in that. But I agree, those previous events did not have the vibe of this one. I don’t know if it’s the venue or what, it’s not just the lack of audience that is killing the mood. It just feels like a second rate event. Which, to be fair, from the quality of most of the skating, it is.

ETA: I gotta say seeing so much of the audience that is there bundled up in blankets like they’re on the couch in the living room is not helping matters. I know it’s no one’s fault that it is bitterly cold in Calgary right now, but I’d wager a guess that this venue is an ice box almost all the time. Not really something that’s going to bring out the best in every skater.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
This article gives more context to Maddie's remarks, which probably should have been included with the original tweet we saw.

"I just, like, walked my way through the program making mistakes one after another after another," Schizas said. "I cannot pinpoint one good thing that happened in that program. It was a waste of everyone's time including mine."

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I get the advantages of streaming, but is there really no hope at all anymore of using TV to pull in new viewers and create fans? I know, easy for me to talk when I'm not in charge of the CBC's budget. I just have an uneasy feeling that this could come back to bite everyone. :(
Younger viewers and the whole target audience haven’t watched broadcast TV in a long time though. They are going to find skating 1000x more likely on social media clips these days.

beckab81

I see it both ways with Maddie's comments.

She's not wrong about the event - attendance is sad and pathetique. We've been griping about the lighting on TV because Skate Canada didn't want to pay for the correct and necessary TV lighting. There is no TV contract. Even doing all the correct training and preparation at home doesn't alter the fact that this very much feels like a half-assed effort by the federation.

But there also is no excuse for how she skated. She should have walked away with this title and she didn't. She was outscored and not in a good way. Disregarding the fact that this was a domestic event with typical over-scoring, Kaiya's score today would put her at #35 on the ISU SB list - not exactly resounding there. Maddie's SB is 9 points higher than what Kaiya delivered today and that was at SCI where she didn't even land on the podium. Maddie should have won and had a nice cushion going into the FS. It's good she acknowledged this but she probably needs to work a little on her sportsmanship during & after the victory ceremony because it wasn't a good look, especially combined with her remarks.
I think the problematic comments were her coach, not Maddie herself. Maddie congratulated Kaiya, and talked about her own performance not being good.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Contractually obligated bonuses - don't pay them and said executives would have taken the CBC to court, and the CBC would have been forced to pay the bonuses, and the executives legal expenses.

Which then raises the question of why the contracts have those bonuses in the first place, especially during a budget crisis. CBC is a public broadcaster, not a private for-profit company.

Desperado

Contractually obligated bonuses - don't pay them and said executives would have taken the CBC to court, and the CBC would have been forced to pay the bonuses, and the executives legal expenses.
How long ago were the contracts drawn though. The CBC has had money issues for years.
Which then raises the question of why the contracts have those bonuses in the first place, especially during a budget crisis. CBC is a public broadcaster, not a private for-profit company.
Even the public service has bonuses, it apparently helps performance but I have other ideas.

skatingguy

decently
How long ago were the contracts drawn though. The CBC has had money issues for years.
There were cuts ordered by the federal government this fall- 3% across the board - those are the cuts that the CBC is trying to absorb right now, so they came after the contracts were signed.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
OMFG - I'm sorry but Skate Canada should have been planning to send her to 4CCs not the WYOG. F*cking shooting themselves in the a$$ every which way they can, they are.

Challenge Cup in late Feb is where most skaters are sent for Worlds TES mins.
No the team also picks what they feel is best for the skater, the Youth Olympics is a huge event that kids really want to go to, also gives them exposure to multi sport events that don’t happen every year. 4CC is every year and she has had opportunities to get her world minimums, although I woukd argue that required score is too high.

fsfann

Turn out was abysmal in Saint John as well, though I think some nasty weather played a part in that. But I agree, those previous events did not have the vibe of this one. I don’t know if it’s the venue or what, it’s not just the lack of audience that is killing the mood. It just feels like a second rate event. Which, to be fair, from the quality of most of the skating, it is.

ETA: I gotta say seeing so much of the audience that is there bundled up in blankets like they’re on the couch in the living room is not helping matters. I know it’s no one’s fault that it is bitterly cold in Calgary right now, but I’d wager a guess that this venue is an ice box almost all the time. Not really something that’s going to bring out the best in every skater.
Turn out def wasn't great, but it was certainly better than this.. One half of the rink was completely empty. Other side was spotty and ends were also pretty much empty. I don't remember any event being this bad.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
There were cuts ordered by the federal government this fall- 3% across the board - those are the cuts that the CBC is trying to absorb right now, so they came after the contracts were signed.

Some news stories said that the execs in question were asked to give the bonuses back, in light of the CBC's financial problems, but they refused.

Jammers

Why did they even commit Kaiya to the YOG isn't that competition for younger skaters Ruiter is skating as a Senior now internationally and almost 18. Because of this stupidity Skate Canada now they can't send their National Champion to 4CC for one final try to get the minimums for Worlds. Why didn't they just send someone else to the YOG instead? To add insult to injury they will probably send her to Junior Worlds yet again this time as Senior champion. I hope she pulls a Ashley Wagner and declines to go to JW just like Ashley did when she made the podium in 2010 but didn't make the Olympic team and the USFS wanted to send her to JW's for a 3rd time.

Colonel Green

Why did they even commit Kaiya to the YOG isn't that competition for younger skaters Ruiter is skating as a Senior now internationally and almost 18. Because of this stupidity Skate Canada now they can't send their National Champion to 4CC for one final try to get the minimums for Worlds. Why didn't they just send someone else to the YOG instead? To add insult to injury they will probably send her to Junior Worlds yet again this time as Senior champion. I hope she pulls a Ashley Wagner and declines to go to JW just like Ashley did when she made the podium in 2010 but didn't make the Olympic team and the USFS wanted to send her to JW's for a 3rd time.
She's not almost 18 (otherwise she wouldn't be able to go). They sent her to YOG because it's an opportunity that she by all accounts really wanted.

Jammers

She's not almost 18 (otherwise she wouldn't be able to go). They sent her to YOG because it's an opportunity that she by all accounts really wanted.
Seems ridiculous it would be like a US Ladies champion like Isabeau Levito or someone else giving up 4CC for YOG which would never happen. It seems like YOG is for younger Junior skaters not ones that have moved up and are a top skater in their own country like Kaiya who was a contender to win the Senior title. Alysa Lui was of age to go in 2020 after winning another US Senior title but the USFS probably never even thought to sending her and sent lower rank Junior girls instead.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Seems ridiculous it would be like a US Ladies champion like Isabeau Levito or someone else giving up 4CC for YOG which would never happen. It seems like YOG is for younger Junior skaters not ones that have moved up and are a top skater in their own country like Kaiya who was a contender to win the Senior title. Alysa Lui was of age to go in 2020 after winning another US Senior title but the USFS probably never even thought to sending her and sent lower rank Junior girls instead.
Then please, feel free to call up Kaiya and tell her that she’s making the wrong choice and shouldn’t go to an event that she really wants to do. I’m sure she’ll be delighted to hear your opinion about her career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information