2022-2023 Adult Skating Clinics & Camps

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Just came back from the rink in South Windsor, CT where Ashley Wagner gave two adult skater classes. Those who took it were sweating bullets although she promised that she wouldn't kill them. :p Even in relatively simple moves (for her). it was great to see how beautifully she moved across the ice as well as the control. My friend who is an adult skater and I were surprised that Ashley was not at Simsbury. Even though the staff at Simsbury is really trying to bring the center back to its old glory, they were not fast enough to get Ashley first. Some the skater drove more than 2 hours to get there.

Elin Schram, who I think is Tenley Albright's daughter (someone please confirm yes or no) gave a similar class in Simsbury last evening. Again, there were adult skaters who traveled 2 hours or more to take the class.

Since this was mentioned in the US Women's thread, I figured it might be helpful to start a new discussion over here for clinics, camps, and other opportunities for adult skaters. Here are, off the top of my head, some of the current ones—this is not a complete list:
  • Skate & Sculpt is Ashley Wagner's power skating clinic and it is a total workout. The class is not leveled like some, and she is GREAT at providing modifications for various skill levels.
  • Elin Schran's IceFlow takes a different approach. Whereas S&S is more cardio-driven, this derives a lot of movement from yoga and other mindfulness practices. Haven't taken one yet (keep trying!), but I have a couple of friends who skate in shows who rave about it.
  • JoJo Starbuck's classes, held mostly at Codey/South Mountain Arena and Rockefeller, are more ballet- and figures-based. Also great.
  • Ice Theatre of NY's Edge Class. The mother of all edge classes, developed by the late John Curry. IMHO they are geared more towards stronger/advanced skaters but if you feel moved, give it a shot. (I'm a little biased since Mr. Curry used to make his students participate, but when people ask me why my skating is so good all these years later, I usually tell people it's a combination of figures + ITNY Edge Class.)
If anyone has others to share, by all means.

I'm keeping this to adult opportunities only. Anyone interested in starting a thread for kids/youth programming, go right ahead.

alizadavida

I will also add these:
  • American Ice Theatre is artistic figure skating organization working to empower and nurture authentic contemporary skating by providing opportunities for education, performance, and outreach. I have done some of their seminars (including tonight!).
  • Ice Dance International - they have community edge classes and also host performances - similar to Ice Theatre of NY but not as advanced. These are mostly in the New England Area i believe.
I would love a chance one day to take one of Jojo Starbuck's or ITNY classes! Also skate and sculpt has a lot of guest coaches so while Ashley is great I've also gotten to take classes with Marissa Casteli and someone from IDI.

Theoreticalgirl

@alizadavida YES! There is also an ice theatre group out of the Baltimore area that hosts a series of classes. I'm blanking on the name, but if anyone know, PLEASE contribute.

Theoreticalgirl

Also worth noting is that the Skate & Sculpt classes are going to expand with weekly (?) sessions in specific cities. List of instructors to be announced soon, I guess?

alizadavida

Also worth noting is that the Skate & Sculpt classes are going to expand with weekly (?) sessions in specific cities. List of instructors to be announced soon, I guess?
Yes - the locations have been announced already and guest instructors will be different each week/location - Ashley is only teaching Boston regularly. Tonight will be the first sunday that I'm not skating with ashley in a while :(

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Igor Lukanin will have his adult edge class each Saturday at 10:10am at the rink at Montclair State U in Montclair, NJ. This class is for skaters who are not beginners - I'd say about pre-bronze and up. It's all edge work. He teaches for 30 minutes, then you get an hour freestyle.

I think the class started last week, but I didn't realize it so I didn't sign up and go! I'm going to try to clear my Saturday mornings so I can go to this.

You can either sign up for the entire series of classes, or pay a drop in rate on the day of if you'd prefer to just take it class by class.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So many great opportunities here!

For those of you who have taken these classes - about a decade ago Skate Canada tried promoting adult classes that were promoted as "keep fit on ice". It didn't really take off because IMO most adults felt skating kept them fit and if they wanted a fitness class they would go to one in a gym. What's the balance (so to speak) in these classes between skating skills and fitness training? I realize that it may not be the same in all of them, but I'm curious.

Theoreticalgirl

For those of you who have taken these classes - about a decade ago Skate Canada tried promoting adult classes that were promoted as "keep fit on ice". It didn't really take off because IMO most adults felt skating kept them fit and if they wanted a fitness class they would go to one in a gym. What's the balance (so to speak) in these classes between skating skills and fitness training? I realize that it may not be the same in all of them, but I'm curious.

Skating in and of itself is a great cardio workout, but when you add in movements that combine a little bit of strength (lunges, leg raises, etc), and moving down the ice in a line, it can be more challenging. Style of the class matters—Skate & Sculpt is closer to a traditional power skating class; the others borrow from ballet and yoga.

I don't think they are replacements for a true strength workout, but they are a welcome change of pace. I did break out in a legit sweat from S&S, the others not so much. You might find you'll experience some delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) a day or so later, especially if you don't regularly strength train.

I also think it's worth mentioning that who is taking the class, how it is being instructed (modifications matter!), and where you are at skating-wise, all factor in greatly. For me, if I see the majority of the class are Pre-Bronze-ish skaters, it's not going to be as challenging as I'd like it to be, since I'll spend more time having to pace myself in the line because everyone will be considerably slower. An ITNY-style class filled with synchro/young skaters, or an instructor that won't give modifications will be waaaaaay harder.

Just to give folks some sense of where I am in my skating: I'm pretty much done with the trappings of the traditional skating environment. I competed when I was young. I had all my doubles. I passed my 8th figure test years ago; I don't need to pursue other test tracks. I don't want to compete and no longer have a coach. I skate, once a week at best, if there is ice time that works with my schedule. My skating is still good and I am happy enough just being on the ice.

Given that, going to the rink and running through jumps, spins, and moves is about skill maintenance and so it's not the most motivating. (My rule to myself is to "move a little bit every day," so skating is just one activity of many.) Mostly I go to see my friends. So for me, a class like this is a good fit.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Thanks @Theoreticalgirl that makes a lot of sense. I was wondering whether the classes were pitched more as fitness classes or skating classes, and it sounds like skating skills are the primary focus.

alizadavida

As someone who has done Skate and Sculpt, Ice Flow, Ice Dreams International, and American Ice Theatre classes, I'd say skating skills are more the primary focus than a fitness class. Skate and Sculpt is the only one that I'd say is more fitness - the other three are slower paced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information