2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

honey

Do we know if Schizas has been injured or anything this summer? She’s been very, very quiet on social media and per Cranberry, not particularly far along in her training. I know it’s early, but that was pretty rough.

That being said, maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think that West Side Story is a bad choice for her. I think this will be a pretty good program once it is trained.

My one comment would be that the pacing is a bit off in it. I think the music selections up to the end of Maria are good. The I Feel Pretty doesn’t seem to fit though. Too much slow one after the other. Easier said than done I know, but I would rework this to put the footwork earlier and see if I feel Pretty could be scrapped.

I am a sucker for America though and am happy they chose to close with that. If she can keep up the speed, it has some excitement built in with that loop at the end as the music builds.

All in all, I think this has potential to be a stronger choreographic piece than her long was last year. Madame Butterfly served its purpose, but I think this can be better for her.

clairecloutier

I was there at Cranberry yesterday, and I really liked the West Side Story piece for Maddie Schizas. Now, I'm admittedly somewhat biased, because I like West Side Story in general. However, that said, I thought the interpretation and pacing and detail were all very nice. I liked the music mix as well. It is a bit unusual to have 2 consecutive slow sections, but I felt it worked well. Schizas's programs have, TBH, made no impression on me to this point. However, I did like this program. It is a bit less generically feminine and more interesting IMO. Also, the red one-sleeved costume looked great on her.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Michelle Long posted this emotional reel as she confirms she is retiring from competitive skating.

Let this be the way we remember ⛸

I wanted this moment to be special, unique and memorable, and true to Me, I skated my little heart out 🥰

This is by no means a farewell, but rather a moment on the ice to myself, doing the one thing I love most, and remembering all that I have accomplished in my skating career. I am hanging up my skates as a competitor, but not as a skater.

I want to continue skating for as long as I can, and I hope that is until I am 100. I am still in the arena, almost every day! Currently, I am choreographing for competitive and STAR skaters, and coaching fitness for three different competitive training programs. During the off season, I was fortunate to work for Skate Ontario, and in the fall, I will start a full-time Masters program in Sport Psychology focusing on athlete development.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who has been a part of my journey over the many, many years. (You all know who you are.) Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

puglover

Michelle Long posted this emotional reel as she confirms she is retiring from competitive skating.

I will miss Michelle Long. She has a maturity of expression that is second to none and has been somewhat missing in the past few years of Women's skating.

Sylvia

TBD
Michelle has long been one of my favorite expressive skaters to watch over the years and I'll miss seeing her in competition. :( I was waiting for her to make this announcement since her Instagram stories and posts in recent months have indicated she had moved on from training. She had proudly posted about her graduation in June and her "long, 12 year process since starting at @yorkuniversity back in 2010" :respec: and it's great to hear she "will start a full-time Masters program in Sport Psychology focusing on athlete development" while continue choreographing for skaters and coaching fitness.

Some of her fellow competitors have left lovely comments on her post:
maddieschizas
Congratulations on an incredible career! I am so proud to have called you a friend and competitor - sending you lots of ❤️ on your new adventures!!

aliciapineault
Michelle you brought so much much light to this sport ✨ so happy I got to see you grow as a skater in the last few years. Seeing you skate always brought me so much joy and thank you for reminding me how freeing skating can be. Happy retirement 🤍
ETA that Michelle mentioned in today's post "During the off season, I was fortunate to work for Skate Ontario" -- she was one of the organizing people behind the scenes of Skate Ontario's inaugural Provincial Development Camp back in June: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeUH-J2Jkqx/

Last edited:

shutterbug

Do we know if Schizas has been injured or anything this summer?
I wondered this as well. Both programs are obviously quite fresh, and she seemed very cautious heading into her jumps. Being a bit behind is understandable following an Olympic season, but it's odd that she's this unprepared with competitive season fast approaching.
If there was ever a skater who exemplified skating for the love of the sport, it's Michelle. One of my all-time favorite memories was her joy at making the national team for the first time. Happy to hear she plans continue with coaching/choreography.

Last edited:

Seerek

I enjoyed her skating very much. I’m just sad she didn’t have her TES minimums for 4CC so she could have finished her career there. She had missed it by like 0.05.

In an Instagram post, she even admitted as such that the short program had always been a challenge throughout her career (a shame she couldn't overcome her mental block).

When you consider Michelle was effectively "starting over" her undergraduate degree from scratch while training during the past Olympic cycle in order to be considered for Graduate studies - respect.

I do kinda feel bad the 3 component categories were only effective starting this season. I feel Michelle would have have been a beneficiary of this change (in the Composition and Presentation categories).

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Is this the girl with a Canadian mother or is that some other girl from Russia who is also planning to skate for Canada?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Shiryaeva has never competed internationally, so it doesn't seem like this should be a big issue. Apparently her family has moved to live here. She made her domestic debut yesterday at the BC Summer Skate, protocols here.
Well, I give props to her family for making a decision to move. It's going to be interesting to see how many more junior/novice level Russian skaters leave for other countries in the coming months/years.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
That’s Aleksa Volkova (daughter of Russian coach Alexander Volkov).

Curious about the other one and what her ties are to Canada. Or if she actually is trying to skate for Canada and not just competing in summer comps?

Sylvia

TBD
Shiryaeva has never competed internationally, so it doesn't seem like this should be a big issue.
Shiryaeva, 15, even has an ISU bio for last season despite not having competed internationally: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111180.htm
She placed 11th of 18 at Russian Junior Nationals in January 2022 (182.39 total, 63.58 13th in SP, 118.81 11th in FS).
Apparently her family has moved to live here. She made her domestic debut yesterday at the BC Summer Skate
Joanne McLeod was in the kiss & cry with her.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
They have direct quotes there from Ted and Mike Slipchuk.
@marbri ICYMI, this is the article that was linked in the embedded tweet:
“As Uliana and her family have moved to Canada and is in the process of being released from Russia, she has been given permission to compete in this local domestic event,” Slipchuk said.
Slipchuk said she moved to B.C. earlier this year. He declined a request to interview Shiryaeva, her coach or her parents.
Ted Barton, the executive director of Skate Canada’s B.C. and Yukon region, said Shiryaeva requested a release from Russia, but it won’t be decided until the end of the year.
“This release request has been sent by Skate Canada and Russia will be reviewing it in December. During this transition period her club in Moscow has granted her permission to compete in non-qualifying events till the release is completed.”
ETA:

Shiryaeva's former coach in Moscow, Alexei Vasilevsky, told RIA Novosti's Anatoly Samokhvalov that Shiryaeva "almost owns two quadruple jumps and a triple axel."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Gabby Daleman is still listed in the Senior Women's SP starting order for the Ontario Sectional Series August event but this Aug. 17th article that @shutterbug posted in the Canadian competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section yesterday seems to indicate she will not be competing tonight:
"The 24-year-old has had several injuries in recent years, most recently on Aug. 12, with what she described as a sideswipe on the highway leaving her sidelined from a weekend competition."

Stephanie

Shiryaeva, 15, even has an ISU bio for last season despite not having competed internationally: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111180.htm
She placed 11th of 18 at Russian Junior Nationals in January 2022 (182.39 total, 63.58 13th in SP, 118.81 11th in FS).

She was a JGP sub last year. I remember liking her skating from the test skates but wish her family hadn't chosen McLeod as a coach. :scream: The Murphys would have been a much better choice IMO.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Michelle Long is such a wonderful skater. I so admire her persistence and dedication - IIRC at one point she was working two or three part-time jobs as well as going to university and skating. I got the sense that because she was an older skater SC wasn't exactly pushing her as hard as they were pushing younger skaters at the same level. So I'm very glad that she left competitive skating when she, not someone else, decided it was time. I'm sure she will continue to bring a lot to the sport in her new roles.

Last edited:

fsfann

oh dear. Of all the coaches..... I had hopes for her until I read this.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
oh dear. Of all the coaches..... I had hopes for her until I read this.
On paper she is more successful than the rest? From parents and other coaches she also gets a thumbs up so who knows? I know historically this board questioned her methods but who knows maybe she has grown since then? IDK? But can appreciate the logic of the parents.
i am excited at her potential.

fsfann

On paper she is more successful than the rest? From parents and other coaches she also gets a thumbs up so who knows? I know historically this board questioned her methods but who knows maybe she has grown since then? IDK? But can appreciate the logic of the parents.
i am excited at her potential.
On paper? Like who? Lots of skaters with tonnes of potential, but they never pan out. They all have issues with holding it together in competition, under-rotating jumps, slow, pedantic skating.... Emmanuel Sandhu, Mira Leung, Kevin Reynolds, Emily Bausback.... just a few who come to mind who all had incredible potential but could never capitalize, and often regress.

Yyzskater

On paper? Like who? Lots of skaters with tonnes of potential, but they never pan out. They all have issues with holding it together in competition, under-rotating jumps, slow, pedantic skating.... Emmanuel Sandhu, Mira Leung, Kevin Reynolds, Emily Bausback.... just a few who come to mind who all had incredible potential but could never capitalize, and often regress.
Don't forget Nam

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
On paper she is more successful than the rest? From parents and other coaches she also gets a thumbs up so who knows?

She certainly doesn't get thumbs-up from all coaches and all parents. You wouldn't have to look too hard to find people who disagree with her training methods, the techniques she teaches, and the negative culture at her rink.

bozzy

She certainly doesn't get thumbs-up from all coaches and all parents. You wouldn't have to look too hard to find people who disagree with her training methods, the techniques she teaches, and the negative culture at her rink.
What are her training methods and her rink's negative culture?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
What are her training methods and her rink's negative culture?

There's a hierarchy of coaches at her rink, and she only coaches the skaters she thinks are worthy of her attention. So most of the skaters there are struggling to outdo each other so they can be "promoted" to work with her. If she decides that one of her skaters isn't working hard enough or is no longer worth her time, they get "demoted" down to one of the other coaches. Negative and abusive behaviour is tolerated as long as the skater or coach involved is in favour with her.

She and her elite skaters also have a long history of blaming unexpectedly low marks on factors other than the skater's own performance, which doesn't help the skaters grow and improve in the long run.

karmena

If I understand correctly, Shiryaeva moved to Vancouver from Russia, is not it so? Not being Canadian I just guess that there, in Vancouver, are not many options coaching wise (?) Perhaps parents choose what is available and the best for them in given circumstances. Nothing is static, though. everything is dynamic and things could change after a year or so.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If I understand correctly, Shiryaeva moved to Vancouver from Russia, is not it so? Not being Canadian I just guess that there, in Vancouver, are not many options coaching wise (?) Perhaps parents choose what is available and the best for them in given circumstances. Nothing is static, though. everything is dynamic and things could change after a year or so.

There are many coaches and many skating clubs in Vancouver, including coaches that have worked with national and international level skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information