2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

Colonel Green

A new quadrennial in Canadian women's skating. The last one was, uh, difficult. It ended better than it began, at least, with Madeline having a genuine moment at the Olympics in the team event, and Kaiya had a great JGP season that she was unfortunately not able to build on after that.

Those two are obviously the big storylines to watch in the coming season (particularly with no Russian skaters for the foreseeable future).

National team
TBD

NextGen team
Abbie Baltzer
Fiona Bombardier
Michelle Deng
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Audreanne Foster
Angelina Grant
Lulu Lin
Justine Miclette
Lia Pereira
Reese Rose
Kaiya Ruiter
Hetty Shi
Rose Theroux
Kara Yun

puglover

With Gabby continuing and improving and a few retirements I wonder if she will be placed back on the national team or receive any assignments?

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I am hearing good things about Daleman's progress this summer. I love a good comeback--and nothing would please me more than to see Daleman, Schizas, and Ruiter push each other and to create exciting quadrennial of Canadian ladies skating.

barbarafan

I am hearing good things about Daleman's progress this summer. I love a good comeback--and nothing would please me more than to see Daleman, Schizas, and Ruiter push each other and to create exciting quadrennial of Canadian ladies skating.
Whoever brings it on the day.

coppertop1

Madeleine single-handedly saved our women this quadrennial. The unexpected MVP.
I would love for Gabby to make a comeback. Maddie isn't too far from the top ten and with Ruiter now age eligible it would be great to get that second spot back.

screech

It'd be great for Gabby to have a comeback, however her training well doesn't make me that optimistic, since she seems to have been training well the last few seasons.
Though not quite at the same level, Gabby hanging on is kind of making me think of Fumie Suguri (though obviously not at the same age)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It'd be great for Gabby to have a comeback, however her training well doesn't make me that optimistic, since she seems to have been training well the last few seasons.
Though not quite at the same level, Gabby hanging on is kind of making me think of Fumie Suguri (though obviously not at the same age)

With the recent rule changed and the banning of Russians, anything I’d possible!

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
They are hardly even close to the same category. Daleman is only entering her 9th senior season; Suguri competed 15 years on the senior level.

I find it intriguing many claim to want long careers for senior women, but when a skater dares to go longer than two quadrennials, they're compared to Suguri. I think fifteen years as a senior-level skater should be celebrated, not derided.

screech

They are hardly even close to the same category. Daleman is only entering her 9th senior season; Suguri competed 15 years on the senior level.

I find it intriguing many claim to want long careers for senior women, but when a skater dares to go longer than two quadrennials, they're compared to Suguri. I think fifteen years as a senior-level skater should be celebrated, not derided.
It's not the length of time she's been in that made me compare her, it's the decline in her competitiveness paired with her (admirable) determination to continue.

Yyzskater

I think so many atheletes identities are inextricably linked to their sport that it's very hard to separate from that. So many of these atheletes have been essentially focused on nothing else besides training and their sport that I don't think they can imagine a life outside of it. And even if they do leave eventually leave the sport, many have a difficult time adjusting to "regular" life.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Veronik Mallet announced her retirement. It was nice of Skate Canada to acknowledge her long career.

ETA her own announcement on Instagram

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Veronik Mallet announced her retirement. It was nice of Skate Canada to acknowledge her long career.

ETA her own announcement on Instagram

I'm not really surprised by this. Veronik is a lovely skater and I'm sure she'll continue to do great things outside of skating.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I was wondering about Mallet's status because she was still listed on the ISU technical scores list whereas other retired skaters (like Bausback) were not.

I hope Skate Canada will be generous with international assignments this season as there are now only three eligible for 4CC (Schizas, Daleman and Schumacher) with only the first two having the minimum score for worlds.

Yyzskater

I noticed a couple of Jr Ladies from cricket at the Milwaukee comp. Do they just register for these out of country competitions themselves? They are not on the NextGen team, so I don't think they are being sent out.

Sylvia

TBD
I noticed a couple of Jr Ladies from cricket at the Milwaukee comp. Do they just register for these out of country competitions themselves?
Yes, Caitlyn Kukulowicz & Natasha Hewitt also competed at the Ann Arbor comp. in May and there were Canadians at the Lake Placid FS comp. last month. Many of these U.S. club competitions are also sanctioned by Skate Canada.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I noticed a couple of Jr Ladies from cricket at the Milwaukee comp. Do they just register for these out of country competitions themselves? They are not on the NextGen team, so I don't think they are being sent out.
with the JPG schedule wide open I am sure many will just be trying to prove their case by attending sanctioned events so that their score is established? I would imagine there are pending deadlines and likely harder for those not on the next gen team, as they will be competing head to head.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So the grand prix assignments are out and Daleman, Schizas, and Schumacher have been assigned to Skate Canada and Schizas will also be at the Finland event. That's it. Incidentally these are the only three women who have the 4CC minimum score. I sure hope more will be sent to senior internationals this season.
Incidentally Skate Canada did post their selection criteria for senior internationals and it doesn't mention anything about jump requirements. It does site a domestic target score of 165 but only mentions 2022 nationals, and no one else met that standard there. Here's the link for reference: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/u...enior-Challenger-and-International-Events.pdf
It actually says "Skaters/teams will be considered for assignments if they have consistently attained the following minimum target scores: Internationally in the 2021-2022 season (155) ; Domestically at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships
(CTNSC) (165)"
I don't know how you can "consistently" attain a score domestically when only one event is used.
It also says preference will be given to skaters with senior grand prix assignments so we can expect Daleman, Schizas and Schumacher to get at least one event. Too bad Autumn Classic isn't happening this year.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Seems pretty clear that Kaiya Ruiter is planning on doing the JGP this fall since she would have certainly received at least one GP invitation (she's ranked higher on the SB75 than Daleman & Schumacher) if she wanted to move up entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information