2022–23 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Colonel Green

We kick off a new quadrennial in Canadian men's skating. The men's discipline was in a very in-between place in the previous four years, where we had a number of guys win some Grand Prix medals at the senior level, but for the first time in a long time there was never anybody who was really a strong contender for the big international podiums.

Keegan looks set to compete another season, fired by his undying love for the World Team Trophy. To my mind the most interesting story in this coming year will be to follow Wesley, who had a bit of a breakout season on the junior/domestic circuit in 2021/22. We'll see how he splits his time, but there's a home Junior Worlds to look forward to.

National team
TBD

NextGen team
David Bondar
Wesley Chiu
John Kim
David Li
Grayson Long
Rio Morita
Edward Nicholas Vasii
Anthony Paradis
Aleksa Rakic
David Shteyngart

Sylvia

TBD
To my mind the most interesting story in this coming year will be to follow Wesley, who had a bit of a breakout season on the junior/domestic circuit in 2021/22. We'll see how he splits his time, but there's a home Junior Worlds to look forward to.
Wesley Chiu began his season by winning the Senior Men's combined event at the Broadmoor Open club competition in Colorado Springs earlier this week (he landed his first 4T+3T in comp. in his SP & I've heard he has a new free program - results/protocols are linked from my tweet): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1541919173181411329
Chiu's photos from the Garden of the Gods: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfacfOhsdUf/
Gabriel Blumenthal (2nd overall at Broadmoor Open & a musical/expressive skater, IMO) has switched to Keegan Murphy's group in Richmond, B.C. and has started to land 3A in competition.

Conrad Orzel has switched to Ravi Walia who today shared a clip from the beginning of his Carmina Burana SP, choreographed by Lance Vipond: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfevts_NCVQ/

Last edited:

shutterbug

Sylvia

TBD
National team
TBD
Skate Canada announced the 6 men on the 2022-2023 National Team yesterday (July 25):

Keegan Messing, 30, Girdwood, Alaska, USA (6th consecutive season on NT; first was in 2015-16)
Roman Sadovsky, 23, Vaughn, Ont. (5th consecutive season on NT; first was in 2015-16)
Wesley Chiu, 17, Richmond, B.C. (first time on NT)
Corey Circelli, 20, Toronto, Ont. (first time on NT)
Conrad Orzel, 21, Woodbridge, Ont. (was last on the NT in 2019-20)
Stephen Gogolev, 17, Toronto, Ont. (was last on the NT in 2019-20)

2022 ISU Grand Prix Assignments (as of July 22):

Chiu (debut): #1 Skate America & #3 Angers FRA
Sadovsky: #1 Skate America & #4 MKJW Trophy in Sheffield GBR
Gogolev (debut): #2 SCI & #5 NHK Trophy
Messing: #2 SCI & #6 Espoo FIN
Orzel: #2 SCI
Circelli (debut): #4 Sheffield

David LI was listed today for first Junior Grand Prix in Courchevel, France (not yet confirmed by Skate Canada); the 3 listed alternates on the ISU entries page are:
David BONDAR
Grayson LONG
Rio MORITA

Skate Canada tweeted the total scores & photos of the top 3 men in the NextGen Camp's competition simulation that finished on Sunday (very close among Aleksa Rakic, Anthony Paradis & David Shteyngart with Grayson Long less than 3 points from 3rd): https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/1551413439008055297

Last edited:

barbarafan

honey

He skated really well for this time of the year. But like unusual I didn't like his music.
The “music” was atrocious. And not doing anything for him. But beyond that, he looked really good. You can clearly see the Rafael technique being applied and it produced some nice jumps here. I still wonder what might have happened if he’d been able to skate at nationals last season. Here’s hoping for a great season for him this year!

I did almost gasp though when he skated out as he looked taller again over last season :eek: . Major kudos to him and his team for keeping at it and working through this because it can’t have been easy to do.

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to Gabriel Blumenthal for winning the Senior Men's bronze in Philadelphia! :) (his first international) earlier today - link to a podium pic, taken in the IceWorks rink lobby: https://twitter.com/sk8maven/status/1556286500194717697

Re-posting from the Philly competition thread in Kiss & Cry:
sk8maven also tweeted "Gabriel Blumenthal (CAN) has a lovely lyrical quality to his skating" and I definitely agree.
I saw and enjoyed his programs that were streamed from the Victoria Day comp. in BC and was impressed with his progress on the 3A since he moved to Keegan Murphy's group. I heard that Blumenthal chose his FS music - by Harmonium (1970s Quebec progressive rock band) - and I was able to find out that his program, choreographed by Joey Russell, opens and ends with "Histoires Sans Paroles" (Stories Without Words).

shutterbug

IFS article about Conrad Orzel's coaching change: CHANGES PAYING OFF FOR CONRAD ORZEL

“I felt that I was not improving the way I wanted to,” he explained. “There were a lot of different things I wanted to improve, and I felt that Ravi could help me — especially with my skating skills and performance — so I decided to make the move to Edmonton.”

When Orzel advised Orser and Wilson of his decision he said both were very supportive. “I learned so much from them and they helped me tremendously with every single aspect of my skating, especially the spins and jumps. They told me that whenever I am in Toronto I can skate at the Cricket. They are just great people.”

screech

I always liked that song. And I think it came to people's minds again yes, from the TikTok thing, but also from Mika performing it while hosting Eurovision this year. Also makes me think of when Liam Firus skated to Mika's 'Happy Ending' for 2 seasons and had wardrobe malfunctions at Canadians both times (IIRC the first year his suspenders came undone, and the second time his stirrup under his boot came undone)

shutterbug

Roman Sadovksy's latest vlog features a lot of on ice footage of him working with David Wilson on his new short program (music not yet revealed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxfBOw_mzac
On the subject of SP music, apparently Roman's "really different" choice is "Cold" by Chris Stapleton:
Official audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq15HXc6pmw

To me it's somewhat reminiscent of "The Prophet" he used as SP music in the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons except with vocals. 🤷‍♀️

pointbleu

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Not an update on any of the men or anything, but after yesterday's finale of The Amazing Race Canada, I've decided that I want Keegan and Nam to do the race together. I can actually see it being right up their (especially Keegan's) alley.
I really enjoyed this season, agreed can totally see them doing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information