2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee

Sylvia

TBD

Cachoo

My niece was in the state final and she and everyone else there was smoked by Vanya who was an eventual winner a few years back. Vanya was sweet and outgoing with a big smile. I couldn't believe this child had so much composure.

A.H.Black

My niece was in the state final and she and everyone else there was smoked by Vanya who was an eventual winner a few years back. Vanya was sweet and outgoing with a big smile. I couldn't believe this child had so much composure.
That composure probably came partly from watching her sister Kavya in the Spelling Bee from the time she was a very little girl. Than again, Vanya was always very appealing with that smile. Kavya won the Bee in 2009, Vanya won it in 2015.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Contest Rules of the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee: https://spellingbee.com/sites/defau...of_the_2021_Scripps_National_Spelling_Bee.pdf

BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Semifinals (virtual)
June 27, 2021
7 - 11 p.m. ET
ESPN2

"The top 10-12 spellers will join us for the in-person Finals on July 8 at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort."
July 8, 2021
8 - 10 p.m. ET
ESPN2
Thank you for posting this!!! I always forget when it is coming up. I used to feel I got to know some of those kids who participated as sixth or even fifth graders up until they aged out. So fun. Euonym!!! E-U-O-N-Y-M!!!! lol

Sylvia

TBD
"The top 10-12 spellers will join us for the in-person Finals on July 8 at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort."
July 8, 2021
8 - 10 p.m. ET
ESPN2
Reminder for those who want to watch live tonight!

Articles:
Excerpt from the NYT article:
Since 2008, a South Asian American kid has been named a champion at every Scripps bee. This year, two-thirds of the semifinalists were of South Asian descent, and at least nine of the 11 finalists are of South Asian descent.
Over the past two decades, spelling bees tailored to South Asian children have proliferated. So have spelling bee coaching companies founded by South Asian Americans. Flyers for local bees are handed out at Indian supermarkets, and the activity is spread through word of mouth at temple events.
“It is definitely a source of pride from an educational standpoint,” said Shalini Shankar, an anthropologist and the author of “Beeline: What Spelling Bees Reveal about Generation Z’s New Path to Success.”
But it is also something more: The bee has become an occasion for unity within the South Asian American immigrant community, and it all goes back to a historic victory more than three decades ago.
In 1985, Balu Natarajan became the first child of immigrants to win Scripps, prompting an outpouring of support from people of South Asian descent. “Many people who I’d never even met felt a connection to it,” said Mr. Natarajan, 49. “I had no idea how much one could be embraced by a community.”

Last edited:

A.H.Black

So I'm watching the play-along version and recording the regular version. I should probably do it the other way around.

Vagabond

And Zaila Avant-garde wins! :kickass:

National spelling champ isn't the only title to her name. Avant-garde holds three Guinness World Records for her basketball talents: the most bounce juggles in 1 minute with four basketballs, the most basketball bounces in 30 seconds with four basketballs, and ties the record for most basketballs dribbled at once — 6 — by one person.
Dribbling six basketballs at once?! 🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀 :wideeyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information