2020 Europeans venue

ivagall

We were considering going as Graz is not that far away by train, but this venue looks like a nightmare to get to by public transport... I mean we survived the crazy tram rides in Ostrava, but travelling to middle of nowhere and back each day might be a bit too much excitement...

Eisfee

We were considering going as Graz is not that far away by train, but this venue looks like a nightmare to get to by public transport... I mean we survived the crazy tram rides in Ostrava, but travelling to middle of nowhere and back each day might be a bit too much excitement...
I've already booked my hotel direct nearly the airport and can walk to the arena! And I will sleep with ear plugs. I hope to survive then!!:D

hanca

Values her privacy
And there is an amusement park/adrenaline park and paint-balling nearby. It seems that there will be plenty of entertainment there.

sus2850

Yeah, staying there is the best option if you do not have a car. There is a bus (Postbus) mentioned. Frequency: three times a day. Not impressed. Could be really cold as well. Looks like a summer lakeside park.

Orm Irian

Yeah, staying there is the best option if you do not have a car. There is a bus (Postbus) mentioned. Frequency: three times a day. Not impressed. Could be really cold as well. Looks like a summer lakeside park.

I've been doing a bit of poking around and there is a train that runs from the city centre to the airport, which takes about 10 minutes - it runs once per hour until midnight on weekdays, 11:45pm on weekends. Of course, there's then the question of exactly where the rink is, given that the article didn't give its name and it's not up on the event website yet. If it's at the sports park on the far side of the airport (though I can't find any mention of an ice rink on their site), there's a bus that takes half an hour. If it's at the Eislaufplatz rink (according to Google maps the closest one to Premstätten - Schwarzlsee), the train takes you one stop further on (3 mins transport time) but it's then a 1.7 km walk to the rink. But I don't think it can be that one because it's in a different suburb than the one named...

So there are public transport options, but neither is as convenient as a 5,000-strong audience demands. Given how late FS events tend to finish, I'm not sure they've thought the public transport element of this through well...but then, there might be extra options added specifically to handle the demand, who knows?

It's all a bit confusing really.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

We think this might be the venue
http://www.sfz.at/fuerveranstalter/daviscuphalle/index.php
Will be difficult to put a rink inside.

And you can reach it by bus in half an hour from the city three times a day. I guess they will run more buses.

That makes sense - it's a multipurpose venue, they could adapt it, I suppose. But yes, they'll have to run more buses if they don't want 5000 stranded tourists wandering around their sports ground after midnight looking for somewhere warm to nap! :D

SkateFanBerlin

Thanks to all for info. I'm American living in Berlin thinking of going to first Europeans. Hotels seem expensive. Event expensive too?

Orm Irian

There are cheaper hotels further away, and the city's public transport route planner is giving me various options (better for getting to the location than for getting back to town, though) if that's outside your budget.

ivagall

:huh:

How is this even possible? The ISU selected the host city in June 2017. https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...real-euros-graz-4cc-seoul-wjc-tallinn.101371/

Wasn't the venue already secured by then?
This, exactly. :scream: I mean Graz is not exactly the center of hockey universe, and it could have been arranged way in advance for the hockey teams to vacate the arena for 1-2 weeks and play their games outside as it was the case for many other teams/arenas for Europeans in the past.

npavel

Yes, it is needed for ice hockey, so Europeans had to move...
there has been a problem with people near that ring that stopped the building of a training ring and more, so they got late for restauration and rebuilding

npavel

We think this might be the venue
http://www.sfz.at/fuerveranstalter/daviscuphalle/index.php
Will be difficult to put a rink inside.

And you can reach it by bus in half an hour from the city three times a day. I guess they will run more buses.
the bus from the airport going quite often. There is a god site to see bus connections

https://verkehrsauskunft.verbundlinie.at/

the arena is "Schwarzl Freizeitzentrum - SFZ, Premstätten", you put the hotel or airport and check the busses

Orm Irian

The event website has now set up an alert for when tickets go on sale (just click the 'oeticket alarm' link on that page to get to it). It looks like the early bird sale starts in June and the regular tickets will go on sale in September. The name of the venue is given on the alert signup page as the Premstätten Halle at Schwarzlsee - presumably the Davis Cup Halle linked above.

Solene

Thanks for the info, especially about the shuttle, that's very helpful. The arena seems to be indeed in the middle of nowhere, and the 2 closest hotels are already fully booked. I found another one, but it's like 60mn walk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information