2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

LL22

M/M are theirs as well, I don't know about the third.
I didn’t know they worked with Purkiss. I thought Purkiss and Evan’s were separate entities and not a coaching team. Am I mistaken? Kind of like MT/M work with Purkiss, but their head coach is Bruno Marcotte. I believe it is the same for B/D as well, Bruno is their head coach too.

Vase

M/M are theirs as well, I don't know about the third.
M/M do get both coaches as well, but the teams do not see both coaches on an everyday basis.
I’m just curious to see how that could make changes in the teams-it could be really good to see results come nationals.

Xsktrx

Ruest and Wolfe do not appear to be on the start orders for Challenge.
I didn’t know they worked with Purkiss. I thought Purkiss and Evan’s were separate entities and not a coaching team. Am I mistaken? Kind of like MT/M work with Purkiss, but their head coach is Bruno Marcotte. I believe it is the same for B/D as well, Bruno is their head coach too.
Last year Purkiss and Evans began to collaborate on Evelyn/Trent, Brooke and at that time Brandon, Patricia and at that time Zac, not that all the pairs saw both coaches all the time given Brooke and Brandon were located in Mississauga with Evans while Purkiss’ pairs trained out of Brantford, but I understand this year that collaboration has continued but in the case of Kirsten and Mike plus Justine and Zach, Bruno is teamed with Allison. Evans and Purkiss are still a team with respect to Brooke/Ben, Evelyn/Trent. I don’t know if Evans is involved to any degree with Justine/Zach or Patricia/Adcock. But safe to say that between Purkiss, Evans and Marcotte there is some nice coaching teamwork going on resulting in Ontario having a strong representation in pairs. Hope I have this right. If not I stand corrected.

Vase

Yes, I would believe all skaters would have a head coach.
Everybody should work with Evans on the twist, if nothing else.
I agree, he also looks to have a lot of kids that can jump

Xsktrx

Yes, I would believe all skaters would have a head coach.

I agree, he also looks to have a lot of kids that can jump
Evans and his team at Canadian Ice Academy in Mississauga are a fair bit younger than Purkiss and Marcotte but they seem to have a good formula there. While Evans is more known for his pairs success with Brooke and Brandon (novice Canadian champs and second in Jr followed by a trip to Jr Olympics in their second year of Jr. the bulk of his singles skaters are still younger (pre-novice and lower) but their skaters apparently consistently appear near the top of their flights and I haven’t seen it but a friend told me that at one point on Evans’ Instagram there was a 9 or 10 year old doing a triple lutz double combo and most of their 10-11 year olds have a double axel and are landing triples in varying degrees. I expect we will hear more from this coaching team as their skaters move up in the competitive levels.

Vase

Yes I’ve saw Evans posts on Instagram and enjoy seeing the progress.
My interest is peaked for what will come from what will a month of consistent blended training from these teams and coaches. Challenge is sorta the ‘before’ and if qualified for nationals, it will be ‘after’ a month of consistent blended training together.

Knowing Purkiss has done programs for Brooke a couple times and she has also brought her skaters to CIA.
I believe Zachary and Patricia had him listed as a coach last season and he took them to sectionals last year. I will assume they will continue to assist each other’s teams where needed.

I will hope to see good things come from this, and very unfortunate Covid-19 season.

Not much has been said of Bruno and his teams, but I’ve liked what I’ve saw.
I will be watching the long this weekend, I don’t think I can get out of work to watch the short.

Sylvia

TBD
Another Brantford Expositor article by Brian Smiley with quotes from Alison Purkiss (Jan. 5):
Excerpts:
With most facilities in Ontario closed while the province is in the midst of a 28-day lockdown that began on Dec. 26 following the rising number of COVID-19 cases, the Gretzky centre has remained open for a dozen high-level skaters who are working toward qualifying for national and international competitions. ... <snip>...
Not wanting its skaters to fall behind others in the world, Skate Canada and Skate Ontario put together a list of skaters it hoped could continue training during a lockdown. That list was approved by the government and health officials. The athletes needed to be identified as junior, senior or NextGen skaters training for either of the mentioned Olympic Games.
In total, the list contains 22 pairs skaters from Ontario, of which 12 train out of the Brant Skating Club. They include Lily Wilberforce and Aidan Wright, Brooke McIntosh and Ben Mimar, Justine Brasseur and Zachary Daleman, Patricia Andrew and Stephen Adcock, Evelyn Walsh and Trennt Michaud and Kirsten Moore-Towers and Mike Marinaro.
Purkiss is involved with all the skaters and two other coaches – Andrew Evans and Paul MacIntosh – have been approved to work with the athletes.
The skaters are staggered on the ice throughout daily sessions. Each team practises two hours a day, one hour less than normal.
Normally, teams would be in the process of making final preparations for nationals in the middle of January but that event has been pushed back to Feb 8-14 in B.C. While it seems unlikely that nationals will take place, Purkiss said it’s her job to have the skaters ready.
“It’s a very delicate balance right now keeping them training and ready to kick into the next gear but also trying to manage their energy, bodies and fatigue through what I think will be a much more extended season,” she said.
“The frustrating thing for us is that we just watched Russian nationals and Japanese nationals happen in person and live in their countries. We don’t want to fall that far behind.”

Another Brantford Expositor article by Brian Smiley with quotes from Alison Purkiss (Jan. 5):
Excerpts:
I am hoping there is not much truth to the first part of this quote "While it seems unlikely that nationals will take place, Purkiss said it’s her job to have the skaters ready." I know that hoping for in-person nationals may be delusional and reflecting poor judgement, still it would be nice to dream a little longer. Similarly, I can't believe that Worlds haven't been delayed or cancelled yet. It is hard to hold my breath for that long.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
i’m guessing worlds might be cancelled because so many teams will not be allowed to travel in addition to the other reasons. Although long track world cups in Europe start this month and hockey took place so who knows? Maybe a worlds bubble. Just hope there is still a nationals.

Last edited:

Xsktrx

I am hoping there is not much truth to the first part of this quote "While it seems unlikely that nationals will take place, Purkiss said it’s her job to have the skaters ready." I know that hoping for in-person nationals may be delusional and reflecting poor judgement, still it would be nice to dream a little longer. Similarly, I can't believe that Worlds haven't been delayed or cancelled yet. It is hard to hold my breath for that long.
Let’s hope Nationals do take place in some form. If not then the Challenge will be the closest thing we would see to a Canadian Pairs event with 9 pairs competing. That would be sad but I suggest we enjoy the next two days of pairs competition in case it’s all we get. Given MTM will be first, any guesses on the rest of the podium?

Sylvia

TBD
Piper Gilles also mentioned that Nationals may be held virtually in this article excerpt I posted in the Challenge thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ying-season-announcement.107562/#post-5927732
Moore-Towers and Marinaro were also quoted in the same article as follows:
In September, Moore-Towers suffered a rib subluxation (displaced rib) that sidelined the team for another several weeks. The 28-year-old from St. Catharines, Ont., suffered the injury on a triple twist throw. Much like a pizza chef throws dough, the male skater hurls his spinning partner overhead and then catches her.
"So before Challenge, we had only started doing [the twist] a couple of days before, so of course didn't get to put out the twists or the performances that we would have hoped to put out," Moore-Towers said.
"No spoilers though," Marinaro added, with a laugh.
It's also odd, the two said, not to have been able to watch the slow-motion television replays of their programs, traditionally shown while the judges are calculating scores. They joked they're still somewhat in the dark as to how they skated.
"For me, watching this event [Friday] and Saturday is similar as you, I have kind of an idea," Moore-Towers said. "It's an interesting position, and anxiety-ridden a bit . . . it should be easy-peasy, we've already done our part of the competition. But certainly that's not the case."
"It's a little nerve-wracking watching ourselves get judged in real time," Marinaro added.
ETA:

2 withdrawals were noted in the revised time sheet for tomorrow's Pairs SP events: https://noticeboard.skatecanada.ca/...and-Senior-Pair-Short-Timesheet-Jan-6-1-1.pdf

Caidence Derenisky/Raine Eberl in Senior and Ashlyn Schmitz/Tristan Taylor in Junior (both are SK teams).

Last edited:

ice crystal

Last year Purkiss and Evans began to collaborate on Evelyn/Trent, Brooke and at that time Brandon, Patricia and at that time Zac, not that all the pairs saw both coaches all the time given Brooke and Brandon were located in Mississauga with Evans while Purkiss’ pairs trained out of Brantford, but I understand this year that collaboration has continued but in the case of Kirsten and Mike plus Justine and Zach, Bruno is teamed with Allison. Evans and Purkiss are still a team with respect to Brooke/Ben, Evelyn/Trent. I don’t know if Evans is involved to any degree with Justine/Zach or Patricia/Adcock. But safe to say that between Purkiss, Evans and Marcotte there is some nice coaching teamwork going on resulting in Ontario having a strong representation in pairs. Hope I have this right. If not I stand corrected.
I appreciate your detailed knowledge and enjoy following Canadian pairs. It makes it hard though when they are referred to by their first names. Thankyou.

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith's article on Moore-Towers/Marinaro: https://bevsmithwrites.com/moore-towers-marinaro-in-a-virtual-world/
They are also curious to get feedback for a new lift they displayed in the short program. Yet, without the feedback, they’ve kept training it the way it is for the past month.
“It’s a little bit unorthodox,” Moore-Towers said. “It’s something we have not seen before within the group that is required for the short [Group 3]. We’re curious to see if it counts, which is not a fun place to be.”
The Moore-Towers/Marinaro team have sought the advice of people they trust and who know the rules. “So far, everybody agrees that it should be okay,” Moore-Towers said. “But when you put it in a live event, you just can’t know.
“Because of that, it’s tough to train for four or five weeks after and still not know if it counts or not or if it’s worth it.”
What’s so unusual about the lift? “You’ll find out [today!]” Marinaro said.
ETA:

@ice crystal, the 6 Senior pairs representing Ontario are:
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
Cassandra Leung / Paxton Fletcher
Brooke McIntosh / Benjamin Mimar (new; she previously competed with Brandon Toste & he with Chloe Panetta)
Justine Brasseur / Zachary Daleman (new; last season he competed with Patricia Andrew & she with Mark Bardei in QC)
Patricia Andrew / Steven Adcock (new; Bye through ON Sectionals)
2 NextGen Junior pairs representing ON are Audrey Carle / Gabriel Farand and Lily Wilberforce / Aidan Wright.
And Chloe Panetta / Kieran Thrasher (new Jr. pair representing QC) are based in Oakville ON.

Last edited:

Xsktrx

Wow, Danielle Smith’s photo of Patricia and Steven’s twist:

Thanks for this. I have been waiting with anticipation to see this twist given Steven had a pretty solid twist with his previous partner and Patricia seems to be a fair bit smaller. This season has seen some new larger twists appear which is great (and necessary for Canadian pairs) given large twists have tended in the past to be associated with other countries.

Vase

Interesting to see Alison Purkiss is listed as coach on a good few teams today.
Andrew Evans also listed as a coach with Purkiss’ teams and (Purkiss listed on Evans team)The collaboration of this duo could be interesting as these teenagers move forward.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Wow, Danielle Smith’s photo of Patricia and Steven’s twist:

I am sure you are referring to Danielle Earl, excellent skating photographer, to whose instagram photo you linked. She is a member of FSU :)

Sylvia

TBD
Chloe Choinard, is she still skating??
Yes, with Livio Mayr for Austria. You can still watch Skate Oakville's IGTV video that was streamed in September 2020:

Xsktrx

Really enjoyed Skate Canada's streaming of the pairs. Will not spoil anyone with results, but fun to watch.
Yes, makes me hope even more that Nationals will happen.
Anyone see anything in the Senior pairs short programs that came as a surprise. I thought the top 3 skated as I would expect given their experience and maturity. My two biggest surprises were how much Leung and Fletcher have improved since sectionals and clearly I’m no judge as I was really surprised with Andrew and Adcock’s score. Despite the missed jump by Patricia I thought they had several strong elements and good presentation throughout. I won’t quit my day job for a second career as a judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information