2019-2020 Broadway/Musical/Operetta Rhythm Dance Suggestions

hlp728

Can a team like Piper/Paul or Popova/Mozgov go with music from Young Frankenstein please? Both teams have the right kind of humor to meld with the songs from the musical like “Transylvania Mania” and “Roll in the Hay.”

mjb52

Can a team like Piper/Paul or Popova/Mozgov go with music from Young Frankenstein please? Both teams have the right kind of humor to meld with the songs from the musical like “Transylvania Mania” and “Roll in the Hay.”

Hmm, can anyone think of a song from The Rocky Horror Picture Show that Popova/Mozgov could do a Finnstep to? :)

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Rumor has it that the first part of the pattern dance will be a Finnstep, followed by whatever the ice dancers want.

The hippy hoppy part of the Finnstep is why I love it so much, and I fear that I'll set myself up for heartbreak every time the ice dancers start finnstepping and then switch over to some boring move that doesn't hippy hop. But it still leaves me hopeful that the musical selections will be on the bouncy side, and that only the freedances will be turgid.

Orm Irian

Would The West Side Story Soundtrack work?

H'm. You might be able to do something with America or Gee Officer Krupke? I Feel Pretty is in the wrong time signature and I don't think the rhythm of Something's Coming maps well to the Finnstep.

oleada

Someone over at Golden Skate suggested a Come From Away/Newfie themed SD for Piper & Paul and now I would really like this to happen!

Colonel Green

I like Come From Away, but I struggle to see how you'd make the music work in a dance program. The soundtrack is pretty much all patter songs.

mjb52

There have been lots of good jokes in this thread but I'm genuinely curious if it has been established how open/not open the rules are about what qualifies for appropriate music. I know having to do a finnstep narrows things down a bit but could a team do a song from like the musical episode of Buffy if they wanted to in theory, or the Rocky Horror Picture Show or whatever more outre choice, or is there an expectation that it will be things that conform more to our traditional ideas of what a musical is (or operetta).

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
There are quite a few good old Hollywood musicals. I know "Singin' in the rain" is overused, but it could make a great RD, if done well.

"Gigi" is terribly underused, same with "Irma la Douce". Those would make fun RDs.

Katha

This whole "theme" is hilarious. I kinda hope it will turn into an OTT trainwreck across the board. :D Much more fun than teams trying to be "sophisticated" and find "tasteful" show numbers. If the motto is Broadway/Musical/Operetta do it justice and bring the razzle dazzle. :encore:

But I'm afraid it will be all rather muted and way too much "La La Land".

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
This whole "theme" is hilarious. I kinda hope it will turn into an OTT trainwreck across the board. :D Much more fun than teams trying to be "sophisticated" and find "tasteful" show numbers. If the motto is Broadway/Musical/Operetta do it justice and bring the razzle dazzle. :encore:

But I'm afraid it will be all rather muted and way too much "La La Land".
Is there anything from the La La Land soundtrack that would work for the Finnstep, if that rumor proves to be true? It's been awhile since I listened closely to it but I don't recall anything that could work.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
That new FX show about Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon starts next month. If it's a hit, we could be hearing a LOT of Kander and Ebb next season.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
There have been lots of good jokes in this thread but I'm genuinely curious if it has been established how open/not open the rules are about what qualifies for appropriate music. I know having to do a finnstep narrows things down a bit but could a team do a song from like the musical episode of Buffy if they wanted to in theory, or the Rocky Horror Picture Show or whatever more outre choice, or is there an expectation that it will be things that conform more to our traditional ideas of what a musical is (or operetta).
In today’s coaches meeting, https://youtu.be/RKPv2koFT_Q it was defined as a staged musical or operetta, or a film where the music & singing is an essential part of the storytelling. Jukebox musicals like Jersey Boys are fine, standard film soundtracks like The Godfather are not.

My joke suggestion would be using songs from Mamma Mia so we can have ABBABrits 2.0. Or if I’m thinking about it properly, I wonder if You’re gonna love tomorrow/Love will see us through from Follies would work.

Karen-W

In today’s coaches meeting, https://youtu.be/RKPv2koFT_Q it was defined as a staged musical or operetta, or a film where the music & singing is an essential part of the storytelling. Jukebox musicals like Jersey Boys are fine, standard film soundtracks like The Godfather are not.

My joke suggestion would be using songs from Mamma Mia so we can have ABBABrits 2.0. Or if I’m thinking about it properly, I wonder if You’re gonna love tomorrow/Love will see us through from Follies would work.
So, would a TV show like Smash, Galavant, or Crazy Ex-Girlfriend be allowed? It's very clear that while they are not films but instead serialized TV, the music & singing is an essential part of the storytelling.

VGThuy

Like it matters really. Imagine if P/C dusted off their Ed Sheeran SD and re-purposed it for today's rules and next season's rhythm requirements, is there really anything that they can do about it?

nimi

Like it matters really. Imagine if P/C dusted off their Ed Sheeran SD and re-purposed it for today's rules and next season's rhythm requirements, is there really anything that they can do about it?
Depends on whether you can provide the name of the musical where those Ed Sheehan songs were used. (Can you?)

I still haven't watched the 2 hr video of the meeting, but according to the same GS thread I referenced over at the Dance Hall:
- They want teams to submit the name of the musicals with the rhythm they use. That way they make sure it fits the theme. They gave the example of a Star Wars polka not being eligible (since Star Wars is not a musical).

VGThuy

Depends on whether you can provide the name of the musical where those Ed Sheehan songs were used. (Can you?)

I still haven't watched the 2 hr video of the meeting, but according to the same GS thread I referenced over at the Dance Hall:

Oh wow. They mean business this time! It seemed like in the past, they were very hands-off about this sort of thing.

Karen-W

One thing that stands out to me right away is the rhythms allowed have been expanded to include the waltz. Per the video the rhythms allowed next season are Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, and Waltz.

Also, the number of rhythms is not restricted and teams can mishmash from different musicals and/or operettas. This has the makings for some really crazy RDs.

ETA - the Finnstep can be skated to the following three rhythms - Quickstep, Charleston, Swing. (I'm a little surprised Polka wasn't included also, but okay...)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information