2019-2020 Broadway/Musical/Operetta Rhythm Dance Suggestions

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I will uber FOREVER any team that skates to something from Galavant. Like, seriously, any song from either season of that wonderful, little gem that is the anti-Disney from Alan Menken. Specifically, "Build A New Tomorrow," "If I Were a Jolly Blacksmith," "As Good As It Gets," "Today We Rise," and "Do the D'Dew" from the second season, as well as "She'll Be Mine," "Hero's Journey," and "Oy! What a Knight" from the first season are all pretty much the perfect length and fit the rhythm options.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I was also thinking of The Fantasticks, as I mentioned in the dance thread. "They Were You" and "Try to Remember" are both lovely. But they're both waltzes. (Also, they would have to be handled by a team that could dance to a slow and simple tune without getting draggy.)

Galavant was so much fun! I don't know if '"We're Off on a Secret Mission" is danceable, but I love it. :lol:

Karen-W

Galavant was so much fun! I don't know if '"We're Off on a Secret Mission" is danceable, but I love it. :lol:

Probably but it would have to be edited and I'm not sure how you edit it to work for the purposes of the RD without losing the essence of it, and you'd have to add a beat to the sections where Richard & Gal are outside Madalena's room interviewing new consorts and then down in the dungeon. Plus, it's not a song that necessarily stands on its own without knowing the entire plot. I was hesitant to include "She'll Be Mine" for the same reason - you have to understand what the show is about to really get it, whereas songs like "Today, We Rise" or "As Good As It Gets" are a bit more accessible without knowing the whole plot. You instantly get that they're satirical but they're catchy and, in the case of "Today, We Rise", a homage to Les Miserables, while "As Good As It Gets" is just a fun foxtrot dancey song that calls back to Fred & Ginger. And "Do the D'Dew" was Menken & Slater's tribute to "A Spoonful of Sugar." It kills me that the waltz isn't a rhythm for this because "A Happy Ending for Us" is my favorite Chef/Gwynne song from both seasons; and it saddens me that "Let's Agree to Disagree" is only 1:40 because it's so much fun.

chantilly

Yes there’s lots of great waltz music in musicals, but we’ve seen so many waltz’s in the last 20 years of Ice Dance in CD’s, SD’s and FD’s. So I’m so fine with different rhythms.

We could have rock musicals too. We Will Rock you featuring Queen music

Hairspray of course.

chantilly

Hedwig is a show I just directed and I just think it’s would be so hard to find the right team and right songs to make it work.
Think it’s way too out there for ice dance judges.

mjb52

I am hoping the major contenders don't get TOO daring - we don't want another Candyman on our hands I guess lol - but wouldn't mind seeing some of the teams down in the standings of the obscurer variety do some wacky stuff because why not? I mean they might have some reasons why not, but I'm thinking about my own entertainment here.

Last edited:

mollymgr

Andrew Lloyd Webber will be quite popular with Cats, Evita, POTO(a skating staple) etc. I can also see some folks going for Hamilton. There is always Dirty Dancing and ABBA. The choices in this category are endless. It should be a fun RD to watch.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m looking forward to tap-dancey, clap-happy tunes like 42nd Street. I’m hoping for a Quickstep or Finnstep sort of CD pattern segment.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I hope some skaters go super voidy and skate to music from musical episodes of tv shows. Buffy, The Simpsons, and Lexx come to mind for me.

starrynight

I’ll get excited about music choices when I figure out how the RD will be fairly judged without a set pattern. I am sceptical that the RD is going to turn into a mini free dance next season.

VGThuy

I’ll get excited about music choices when I figure out how the RD will be fairly judged without a set pattern. I am sceptical that the RD is going to turn into a mini free dance next season.

I guess imagine the Ravensburger Waltz SDs from the 2015-2016 without the Ravensburger. After I wrote that I felt like I ordered a cobb salad without all the stuff that makes it a cobb salad.

chantilly

Andrew Lloyd Webber will be quite popular with Cats, Evita, POTO(a skating staple) etc. I can also see some folks going for Hamilton. There is always Dirty Dancing and ABBA. The choices in this category are endless. It should be a fun RD to watch.
God help us all if people choose POTO, but you know it’s going to happen.

Evita could work.

VGThuy

I don't see why not so long as it's any of the prescribed rhythms. I mean TV musicals are basically riffs/takes of movie/stage musical numbers. I mean we had Latin SDs to the Rolling Stones and Ed Sheeran.

chantilly

True. But Rolling Stones was actually a samba.

Tv musicals I think might be too obscure.

Although would love to see a dance to the mash up Glee did to Singin in the Rain and Umbrella by Rihanna.

Singin in the rain would be great.

Ooh. There’s a new Fosse and Gwen Verdon film coming out.

Should be great music from that. Maybe P and C.

Guillaume would make a great Fosse. Gabi could easily play Verdon.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It's actually a miniseries. It's true it might inspire some dances if it's a hit. I just hope it doesn't lead to another glut of Chicago programs. :lol:

Karen-W

I don't see why not so long as it's any of the prescribed rhythms. I mean TV musicals are basically riffs/takes of movie/stage musical numbers. I mean we had Latin SDs to the Rolling Stones and Ed Sheeran.
I wouldn't mind seeing something from Smash which was my two-season wonder guilty pleasure before it was cancelled and Galavant came along. In fact "(Let's Start) Tomorrow Tonight" is extremely editable for the time constraint and fits the rhythm requirements - plus Leslie Odom Jr before Hamilton won him a Tony!

chantilly

It's actually a miniseries. It's true it might inspire some dances if it's a hit. I just hope it doesn't lead to another glut of Chicago programs. :lol:
Was just going in to correct myself.
Either way if there’s no dance scenes, I’m going to cut a...

sharsk8s

P/C had their duchenay moment in their 2017 long. I know Guillaume has said that they kind of regret that FD bc it was so hard and people didn't get it until worlds. I don't think they will do it again.

VGThuy

P/C had their duchenay moment in their 2017 long. I know Guillaume has said that they kind of regret that FD bc it was so hard and people didn't get it until worlds. I don't think they will do it again.

I actually really liked that FD. It reminds me less of the Duchesnay 1992 FD and more of their original Mirror FD from 1991 before they switched to Missing 2 for Worlds.

sharsk8s

I actually really liked that FD. It reminds me less of the Duchesnay 1992 FD and more of their original Mirror FD from 1991 before they switched to Missing 2 for Worlds.
I also really liked that one personally but I know they didn't receive the best feedback, especially at the time. I think its unlikely we will see them do something like that again.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
The live action Aladdin movie is set to come out this May, so the soundtrack might be popular just in time for new program choreography. I think quite a few songs could be a quickstep.

Orm Irian

No suggestions from operetta yet? There are so many Savoy Opera tunes that could work here, from 'With Cat-Like Tread' for a march on down...Orfee aux enfers is an operetta and if P/C want to get all French on us I could see them doing something can-can influenced for fun (imagine Guillaume doing can-can splits!)...and there's The Merry Widow and so many more...

Plus there are some more obscure musicals. I'm a big fan of A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder which has some lovely rhythms, though unfortunately the best ballad ('Sibella') is a waltz and the glorious bedroom farce number 'I've Decided to Marry You' is a three-hander that wouldn't necessarily translate well to a two-person routine. 'You're a D'ysquith' has potenital though! And I'd love to see some West End pieces get a look-in: Matilda might not work for an adult team but a pair just out of juniors could have some fun with it. And what about Hadestown or Groundhog Day, or some of the other newer shows?

There will definitely be at least one Hamilton piece, I'm sure.

Finally, I can't remember if the junior teams have the same requirements, but if they do some of them might find good material in some of the more innovative mash-ups from Glee (yes, I know, but consider the potential of, eg, the 'Rumour Has It/Someone Like You' mashup, or a younger team with 'The Way You Look Tonight/You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile').

And yes, the Disney musicals - any one that's had a stage adaptation is available for use here, from Cinderella to Aladdin to Frozen (oh god, people, just let that one go). There's also a stage version of Anastasia to draw on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information