2018 Rhythmic Gymnastics Worlds, Sofia, Bulgaria (10/19 Sept.)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Opening the thread, as RG World finals begin today. In the US, same-day TV coverage can be seen on Olympic Channel, beginning at 6PM Eastern, with hoops and balls individual apparatus finals.

Live scoring & results:
https://live.fig-gymnastics.com/schedule.php?idevent=14845

Event website:
http://rgwch2018sofia.com/

Will any country but Russia take a gold medal? A lovely Israeli just might - Linoy Ashram! Can she upset Russia’s Averina twin sisters, Dina & Arina?

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Linoy of Israel was the highest non-Russian qualifier in hoops (4th...but only 2 from each country move on to the finals). Finals for hoops and balls later today.

Frau Muller

Dina Averina is on a roll, winning gold for Russia in both hoop and ball. Other Russians won silver in ball & bronze in hoop. Israel won silver in hoop & Italy surprised with bronze in ball.
Link to the scoreboards above (first post).

The next two finals are on Thursday: individual clubs and ribbons. Again, this will be carried “same day” by Olympic Channel on TV beginning @ 6pm Eastern.

Frau Muller

More individual finals today... all won by...Russia, of course.

Individual Clubs: 3rd gold for Dina Averina

Individual Ribbon: a bit of variety...won by Alexandra Soldatova (also Russia)...but the BIG SHOCKER of the day is that the 2nd Russian in this event, Arina Averina (Dina’s twin) ended 49th Place!!! I suppose that coach Viner will be shipping her off to the gulag!!!

Individual Apparatus Team Event won by (duh!): Russia

mjb52

I have a longstanding fascination with twins and one of the earliest things I remember reading with twins as a big theme was a YA gymnastics book where a set of twins were each doing their best events twice in order to maximize their scores and were eventually thwarted by a purposeful ink blot on one of their costumes so they couldn't switch. I keep thinking of that whenever I go into this thread!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
More individual finals today... all won by...Russia, of course.

Individual Clubs: 3rd gold for Dina Averina

Individual Ribbon: a bit of variety...won by Alexandra Soldatova (also Russia)...but the BIG SHOCKER of the day is that the 2nd Russian in this event, Arina Averina (Dina’s twin) ended 49th Place!!! I suppose that coach Viner will be shipping her off to the gulag!!!

Individual Apparatus Team Event won by (duh!): Russia

Arina has been injured and hasn't competed since Euros, why they let her compete in 4 events was a big mistake.
also next year it will be difficult for her to make the team as everyone will need to be consistent, 2 juniors Daria Trubnikova and Polina Shmatko will turn senior and in 2020, junior russian champion Lala Karamrenko is the big juggernaut approaching who will debut as a 15 year old senior.

This is probably one of the most deepest pool of russian rhythmic gymnasts comparable to figure skating counterparts
they have:

Tier A: Dina Averina , Arina Averina, Aleksandra Soldatova
Tier B: Maria Sergeeva, Ekaterina Selezneva, Yulia Bravikova
senior 2019: Daria Trubnikova, Polina Shmatko
senior 2020: Lala Kramarenko

who is going to the Olympics is a BIG Question Mark !!

Frau Muller

Thanks for the insights, @love_skate2011. I just watched the Olympic Channel coverage and, IMHO, the Italian Milena Baldassarri was totally robbed of the gold in the Ribbon event!!! If one looks at the scores, Soldatova was held up by the subjective 2nd mark, both the Italian and Israeli outscored the Russian On Tech...and my ballet-trained eyes far preferred the ethereal Italian butterfly routine to any other.

Last observation, as a novice to this sport: The hat-wearing Russian coach (Viner) looks like quite a character - the Tarasova of her sport.

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Thanks for the insights, @love_skate2011. I just watched the Olympic Channel coverage and, IMHO, the Italian Milena Baldassarri was totally robbed of the gold in the Ribbon event!!! If one looks at the scores, Soldatova was held up by the subjective 2nd mark, both the Italian and Israeli outscored the Russian On Tech...and my ballet-trained eyes far preferred the ethereal Italian butterfly routine to any other.

Last observation, as a novice to this sport: That “mad hatted” Russian coach (Viner) looks like an intimidating piece of art. I would not want to rumble with her! I imagine that she’s the Tarasova of Gymnastics...only meaner!

Soldatova had a very good qualifications in ribbon, in the finals she botched an element. see the one from putting the ribbon stick on her feet, she aborted it ! it was worth around 1.3 points and add another execution to it, it would worth totaling more than 19 points.

Frau Muller

Soldatova had a very good qualifications in ribbon, in the finals she botched an element. see the one from putting the ribbon stick on her feet, she aborted it ! it was worth around 1.3 points and add another execution to it, it would worth totaling more than 19 points.

Right. I still thought that Milena of Italy’s ribbon routine was the most exquisite, overall. Kaho Minagawa of Japan also had a gorgeous balletic routine but made major errors.

Today’s the Individual All-around final, to be shown on Olympic Channel from 6 to 8pm Eastern. Can’t wait!

Frau Muller

More gold for Dina Averina of Russia today, as she nabs the All-around Individual title! 🇷🇺 Happiest surprise: Silver for Linoy Ashram of Israel!!! 🇮🇱 Alexandra Soldatova of Russia takes bronze.
https://live.fig-gymnastics.com/link.php?id=2058

It’s all on Olympic Channel HD today at 6-8 pm Eastern.

The group events happen this weekend. Whose going out on a limb to predict more gold for Russia? 😆 The Bulgarians, Italians, Japanese and Israelis should also be fantastic.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
crazy how the judges really wanted Soldtova to win then she dropped her ribbon twice then it was over.
Congrats to Dina and Linoy, Soldatova was given the golden platter but she didnt capitalize on it. as usual she is NEVER consistent and succumed to pressure.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
...AND Dina dropped one of her clubs during yesterday’s routine.

yesterday was event final, but 7/8 of the gymnasts had mistakes except Halkina whom was definitely underscored.
today was the all-around final. The judges were willing to give Sldatova the title all she had to do was stay clean but she couldn't, at least she got a consolation she won longiness prize of elegance.

Frau Muller

Just popping in to give the Olympic Channel Times on this weekend’s coverage of the Group routine competition. These just appeared on my Comcast on-screen guide:

Saturday (today), 10:30pm to 12:30am Eastern - Groups, All-around finals

Sunday, 8 to 10pm Eastern - Groups, finals in two specific apparatus events: 5 hoops; 3 balls and 2 ropes

How lucky we are to be able to watch this on traditional TV in the US...a country with minimal impact in this sport...although Laurie Zeng was darn wonderful, ranked in top 8 in the world!

Last night’s 2-hr show on the Individual AA Competition was a true celebration of feminine beauty...each routine seemingly more delectable than the last! It was like watching the world’s greatest ballerinas, one after the other.

My biggest take away from this Worlds is a greater appreciation for the Ball event...the infinite ways that these ladies can maneuver the ball over, under, across shoulder blades, holding with their feet in the craziest ways. Absolute Beauty!

I can’t wait to see those group routines tonight & tomorrow night. ❤️

Last edited:

mjb52

I'm not generally a fan of the ball - it just looks awkward to me compared to the others - but I still remember Maria Petrova's ball routine from her (last?) Olympics where a lot of people felt she was unfairly judged... it was stunning.

Frau Muller

Petrova had bad luck at her two Olympics (‘92 and ‘96), even getting a deduction for a broken zipper on her leotard one time. Since these Worlds are in Bulgaria, it’s nice that Petrova is given a role as ambassador. She was shown sounding the opening gong! On a related note...

I love how the local organizing committee has set-up the Kiss n’ Cry, with the three little girls dressed as fairies, waving magic wands over the athletes as they await their scores. 🧚‍♀️

viennese

wrecked
I tried to watch the rhythmic gymnastics but my cat became engrossed in it, too.

She went mental during the ribbon event and attacked the screen. Certain sports send cats into a state of pure adrenaline.

Frau Muller

The weekend’s group events were truly glorious. Despite having won the Group AA gold on Saturday, Russia lost the two apparatus-specific group events, even finishing 4th in one of them (5 hoops)...but they took 2nd place in the 3 balls/2ropes. Congrats to the gold medalists, Bulgaria (hoops) and Italy (balls&ropes)! So grateful to have seen this on American TV.

Frau Muller

For those who missed it, Olympic Channel HD television will be repeating the RG Worlds shows, beginning tonight @ 11pm-1am Eastern (first two individual apparatus finals, Hoop and Ball).

Day 2’s program is tomorrow at midnight (clubs and ribbon).

Day 3-Thursday night 9:30pm - Individual all-around

Day 4 - Friday @ 11pm, Groups All-around

Day 5 (group specific apparatus events) is not yet shown on the Comcast on-screen schedule. Assume on Saturday, 22nd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information