Discussing SA in skating, sports and life from a victim centred-point of view

Desperado

It would appear that anyone who reads Gracie Gold’s book can figure out who she is accusing of rape.

I understand the not telling, but
can anyone tell me if the guy is still involved in skating, where he has a platform to continue this abuse pattern, while the case languishes at Safesport for reasons some know and others don’t?

I’m thinking of the parent who discussed incidents with their child and others at a rink and how to report the issues. Abuse seems so rampant right now, so it could be a different situation too.

I know SA is far from being limited to skating, but I’m having more and more trouble enjoying on ice performances as I think of the behind the scenes horrors and how very little is done to counter them.

Vagabond

Gold talks about the same thing. When things go terribly wrong keep it a secret.

Fear of the abuser doing worse things to you and/or losing all you worked for to that point.
Among other things, such as not being believed, not being supported by other people you count on, being mocked, being blamed, and losing family ties and friends.

I write as one who experienced all of these things.

(I am replying in this thread so as not to clutter up the one about Anna Levandi.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Gemini Project (thread of 12 tweets/posts):
Formula 1 is the latest sport to show that they are incapable of handling allegations of sexual harassment. At the centre of this all is a victim who alleges she was the subject of sexual harassment by her boss, CEO, & team principal of Redbull racing, Christian Horner. 1/12

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
The Gemini Project (thread of 12 tweets/posts):
Formula 1 is the latest sport to show that they are incapable of handling allegations of sexual harassment. At the centre of this all is a victim who alleges she was the subject of sexual harassment by her boss, CEO, & team principal of Redbull racing, Christian Horner. 1/12

She has been suspended/fired. Old boys network and $$ talks.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am not sure and still waiting to see if she is appealing it?
I don't think you can appeal a firing. You can file a wrongful termination suit but unless there is something in her employment contract that was violated or she was fired for belonging to a protected class, she won't have much of a case. Especially if they are in an at-will state.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I don't think you can appeal a firing. You can file a wrongful termination suit but unless there is something in her employment contract that was violated or she was fired for belonging to a protected class, she won't have much of a case. Especially if they are in an at-will state.
She was suspended by red bull and it’s a European case not USA. She accused her superior of inappropriate behaviour

skatingguy

decently
So if I'm understanding this correctly all parties involved in a complaint must consent to the an OSIC investigation, and if one of the parties doesn't consent than the complaint is pushed to a private, for profit company, to complete the investigation. Who pays for these private investigations? The sports organizations, whose interest is in making the complaint go away. No wonder they tell complainants not to expect anything to from the investigation in terms of consequences for the abusers.

Last edited:

Former Lurve Goddess

I’m glad those accused of sexual misconduct are being subjected to information sessions on consent (even if it’s just about a form.)

Clearly they need all the information they can get on the topic.
They do but it doesn't seem like actual victim-centred consent educators such Julie S. Lalonde or Farrah Khan have at all been consulted in the process of developing this stuff.

Sylvia

TBD
Every Actor Who Has Spoken Out Following ‘Quiet on Set’ Revelations (March 30):
Drake Bell, Josh Peck, Kenan Thompson and Alexa Nikolas are among numerous former Nickelodeon stars who spoke out following the harrowing allegations revealed in Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV.
Investigation Discovery’s four-part docuseries outlines allegations of abuse, sexism, racism and inappropriate behavior involving underage stars and crewmembers on Nickelodeon TV show sets run by Dan Schneider. Some of the programs mentioned included The Amanda Show, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, iCarly, Victorious and Sam & Cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information