So it’s going to be a “Dance Party” RD in 2024/25?

skatingguy

decently
So seriously, right after an 80s-themed RD we do dance party? It's like each year they just sap the life out of Ice Dance...is it that they don't believe current ice dancers can hack more challenging material???
It's more about trying to find a theme that creates viral social media moments.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Will a waltz ever return? Forget the Yankee Polka.

But we’re getting a Dance Party! Lots of West Side Story Senior proms, I bet.

As per TSL, Srs get to create a Dance Party with 20th-C music…Jrs must use 21st-C music. So two centuries covered.

Former Lurve Goddess

I’m nowhere near a dance purist and even I think this is dumb.

The real question is whether the women will be allowed to wear pants in any portion of the competition.
Pants are allowed in both the RD and FD now. Why it took so long to make this happen in Ice Dance is a mystery.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Will a waltz ever return? Forget the Yankee Polka.

But we’re getting a Dance Party! Lots of West Side Story Senior proms, I bet.

As per TSL, Srs get to create a Dance Party with 20th-C music…Jrs must use 21st-C music. So two centuries covered.
No, you've got your information wrong. This is being discussed in the Dance Hall thread in the Trash Can, but the juniors skate to 20th century music next season too. The 2025-26 season will be a Dance Party 21st century for both senior and junior teams (and presumably Novice/Advanced Novice teams too).

gkelly

So seriously, right after an 80s-themed RD we do dance party? It's like each year they just sap the life out of Ice Dance...is it that they don't believe current ice dancers can hack more challenging material???
Challenging in what sense?

Frau Muller

My only hope: A banning of “pleather” pants. Sorry, Olivia Smart!

Frau Muller

No, you've got your information wrong. This is being discussed in the Dance Hall thread in the Trash Can, but the juniors skate to 20th century music next season too. The 2025-26 season will be a Dance Party 21st century for both senior and junior teams (and presumably Novice/Advanced Novice teams too).
OK, So they’re spreading out the Dance Party over two friggin seasons!

Under the blue line for Srs/Jrs in 24/25:
“Create a Dance Party with music from the 20th Century.”

Under the green line for Srs/Jrs in 25/26; (Olympics!)
“Create a Dance Party with contemporary music (21st century).”

So maybe next year we’ll get the Charleston (1920s) for a little variety? Hey, it’s the 20th-C! Maybe we’ll get the Charleston from The Red Poppy ballet?

Last edited:

Bigbird

Challenging in what sense?
Variety....we'll be using the same theme literally for three seasons...favouring a certain set of dancers. At this point...I think they just do not care. Not to mention the fans....

gkelly

Variety....we'll be using the same theme literally for three seasons...favouring a certain set of dancers. At this point...I think they just do not care. Not to mention the fans....
I started a thread in the Trash Can where fans can fantasize about what you'd rather see instead.

Karen-W

FWIW, Kaitlyn Weaver is saying, "What was shared was preliminary and for discussion purposes."

Hoping that means it's going to die an unlamented death.
I mean, if the reaction from Tim Koleto mirrors what the skaters themselves are thinking, then there's good reason to hope this idea dies a quick, unnatural death. What I'm sensing from the comments allegedly made by Skary Babs right after Euros not liking the vagueness of a "movies" theme and the reactions to this similarly vague "dance party" theme is that at least some people would prefer a more defined theme than what the IDTC is brainstorming.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I keep remembering that video Carol Lane's skaters made a while back, where Paul Poirier says, "We're ice dancers! Our rules change every year and we don't understand them!" If that's how they feel all the time (joking or not, I'm sure there was a grain of truth in it), something like this must have felt like the straw breaking the camel's back.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Weaver being super pc and sweet does not give any confidence.
When a tweet reference the vagueness of the 80s rhythm dance, she responded by pointing out how important culturally and politically this period was. Literally has nothing to do with how it’s dance could be measured as a proper sport.
https://x.com/kaitlynonice/status/1765062034750951758?s=46&t=PP-Aj-5_eDPEytqIE_CmDw

I’m afraid I will finally have two put my hat in at admit to @TAHbKA that ice dance is just a joke

Karen-W

Weaver being super pc and sweet does not give any confidence.
When a tweet reference the vagueness of the 80s rhythm dance, she responded by pointing out how important culturally and politically this period was. Literally has nothing to do with how it’s dance could be measured as a proper sport.
https://x.com/kaitlynonice/status/1765062034750951758?s=46&t=PP-Aj-5_eDPEytqIE_CmDw

I’m afraid I will finally have two put my hat in at admit to @TAHbKA that ice dance is just a joke
And yet the only controversial RD was Janse van Rensburg/Steffan's - the rest are all fluff and most don't even really reflect the flavor and feel of the 1980s culturally or politically, lol.

Willin

I mean, if the reaction from Tim Koleto mirrors what the skaters themselves are thinking, then there's good reason to hope this idea dies a quick, unnatural death. What I'm sensing from the comments allegedly made by Skary Babs right after Euros not liking the vagueness of a "movies" theme and the reactions to this similarly vague "dance party" theme is that at least some people would prefer a more defined theme than what the IDTC is brainstorming.
I'd say it's even more of a reason to do it - I'd love to see what crazy programs that would be considered heresy in any other ice dance season teams would come up with. While Tim's tweet is certainly a joke, there's a lot of creativity that could come with more tightly themed SDs.

Honestly I don't mind the genre thing for short dances. Like a waltz pattern prescribed for a "horror" theme or the yankee polka for a "comedy" short dance. Both could create some very interesting short dances.

I think it would be very cool to have a "show us your Country" SD for an Olympics season. The "folk dance" ODs did create some awful racist stereotype dances, but I think representing your country could make for a cool way to show Olympic spirit in skating. American/Canadian teams doing Country music, British teams doing Country dance, French teams doing ballet or cancan, Japanese teams representing traditional Japanese dances, etc. Or you could go a different direction and just use musicians and/or traditional music from your country. So many different and cool directions would produce a memorable group of programs.

rhapsody

The nerve of this vanilla bread white boy from Colorado doing a a cringy AF Ghostbusters mess to think this dancy party theme is so beneath him. :gallopin1

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information