Interview with Yulia Kuznetsova, Levito's coach

Sylvia

TBD
By Anastasia Loginova (May 12, 2022):

Translation:

Yuri

Thanks so much for the translated interview with Isabeau's primary coach Yulia Kuznetsova! I found it very interesting where Yulia discussed how Evgeny Platov became involved with Isabeau circa age 4-5 and she was almost too embarrassed to ask a two-time Olympic Gold Medalist to work with her child prodigy. It's also interesting to read her discussion of how the Russian and American systems differ regarding group and individual lessons, how ice sessions work in both countries, and how Russians differentiate between primary coaches and so-called "consultants" who officially have no long-term team role. Clearly Yulia values Evgeny's input in Isabeau's career and I am thrilled to read that she will continue to collaborate with him this summer both in Florida and New Jersey.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
That was a really please-the-Russians interview. Blech.
Even viewing it through that prism, the interview really grossed me out. I was silently screaming "please, get Isabeau away from this lesser-rate, partially-Americanized Eteri." So very many red flags there - and probably better left for the US Women's discussion thread, but I'm not left with much hope that Isabeau's jump technique will improve.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It's sad, really, because Isabeau has been with her so long and sounds so attached to her. But there are red flags galore. We've pretty much known it all along because of the jump technique; this just confirms it.

karmena

In my opinion this interview is a classic (= a textbook) example what does it mean to be brainwashed by soviet spirit since early childhood/with mother's milk! to absorb that ideology/arrogance (we, Russians, are the only and the best ones and the rest of the world hates us because of this) on daily basis. Ha! this interview itself is a good tool for sophisticated, undetectable and very fine propaganda ( 'our girls are the best').; every nuance counts in that unseen warfare

....it is not clear if Levito's coach gave the answers she knew are expected of her or she truly believes in what she said?
Though it does not matter at all whatever the case; it was immensely sad to read this interview. if honestly,it was hard to believe and sort of shocking, too

Last edited:

starrynight

She thinks Eteri's operation is clean? Really? :huh: :grandpa:
If the operation was fully clean and Valieva was a rouge cheat, the other skaters in the group would be screaming. But they aren’t. Not a peep.

The coaches would have also thrown Valieva under the bus to protect themselves if the doping had nothing to do with them. (They throw their skaters away at the slightest hint of dissidence).

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It was an honest interview. Coach Yulia K. isn’t bowing to USA liberals. (Sheer jealousy from the haterz is palpable. LOL! Jeez, we’re talking about fellow Americans.) My highest respect to Yulia for not being phoney…and for guiding Isabeau Levito through high-class music and artistry. And even teaching her some Russian language and culture. Otlichna! Brava! 👏 💐

Cachoo

If the operation was fully clean and Valieva was a rouge cheat, the other skaters in the group would be screaming. But they aren’t. Not a peep.

The coaches would have also thrown Valieva under the bus to protect themselves if the doping had nothing to do with them. (They throw their skaters away at the slightest hint of dissidence).
This. We can agree and disagree all we like about Eteri’s methods but the drugs trump everything especially with children involved. The interview was a bummer.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Bowing to US liberals? Because the establishment in US figure skating is sooooooo left wing? People like the late Maury Stillwell, Claire Ferguson, Gale Tanger? Known lefty activists?

You never know what to expect when you wake up and log on to the internet, but seeing an anti-performance enhancing drugs stance referred to as liberal takes the cake.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10

I disagree. No matter what they thought personally, the Federation, RUSADA, and government were strongly behind Tutberidze and doping denial. Who was going to ruin their careers, endanger their funding, and delegate their skaters to internal judging Siberia?

Exactly how many US coaches said anything publicly about Sappenfeld or spoke out when Zakrajsek lauded his skater in KnC for skating on broken bones or didn't disclose his skater's injury before Worlds, when these coaches were darlings of USFS and winning Coach of the Year?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Bowing to US liberals? Because the establishment in US figure skating is sooooooo left wing? People like the late Maury Stillwell, Claire Ferguson, Gale Tanger? Known lefty activists?

You never know what to expect when you wake up and log on to the internet, but seeing an anti-performance enhancing drugs stance referred to as liberal takes the cake.
No. Typical FSUers. No wonder that FS is dying in the USA, when traditional conservative lovers of FS (and ballet) are constantly mocked for having alternate opinions. God bless US coach Yulia K for her class and fostering of beautiful non-woke art and ways.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No. Typical FSUers. No wonder that FS is dying in the USA, when traditional conservative lovers of FS (and ballet) are constantly mocked for having alternate opinions. God bless US coach Yulia K for her class and fostering of beautiful non-woke art and ways.
Oh, please. None of the criticism leveled at Kuznetsova's interview has had a single thing to do with the music suggestions she's made for Isabeau or encouraging/supporting her love of ballet and art. It has everything to do with her very clear support of Team Eteri and encouragement of poor jump technique, as well as her belief that Team Eteri is clean and doping-free. Those are major red flags to fans of the sport and have nothing to do with appreciating classical music or the fine arts. Beyond that, it isn't like Team Eteri is some bastion of great musical taste or balletic skating choreography.

Cachoo

I like her musical selections. My criticism is her support of Eteri. How can you not see that she has crossed a line? At least Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones chose to cheat and faced the consequences when they were exposed. Do you think her pupils have any say in what is provided for them to improve performance? Kamila will always have that label and it is wholly Eteri’s fault.

Hedwig

Antique member
Who cares about the music choices :confused: - they are totally fine and Isabeau's peformance to the music was glorious.

but the callous pro-Russian tone and the emphasis on bad technique is okay apart from the whole doping topic raises a lot of questions in my mind about the suitability of such a person as a coach for young girls.

On My Own

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information