Who has the all-time definitive hooded costume?

Is this camp? Vote for your favorite hooded costume.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Yes, this is the bullshit I wonder about on a Friday night. :scream:

The time has arrived to settle one of the most important questions facing us today: Who has the all-time definitive hooded costume?

The all-important criteria I'm using is that the hood must be used in competition (no exhibitions or galas) and the hood MUST be worn for at least a second or two in the program. I feel like I'm probably missing a pro dance routine here, let me know and I'll edit it in.

The nominees, please:

Oksana Baiul - 2000 World Pros, Desert Rose

Alexander Majorov - 2013 Skate America, The Golden Condom

PASHA (as French TV stylized her name here :rofl: )- 1997 Lalique, Memorial

Marina Kielmann - 1997 CBS Ladies Pros, Dracula

Side note: Majorov almost made this list twice! He had the exact same ending pose with a different program and hooded costume at the prior year's SKAM, but couldn't quite get it up. SKAM hoodie king. :respec:

I also realize Kielmann's hoodie is somewhat marginal, but I made the judgement call it fulfills the criteria of a hood, even though it's sheer. Plus I wanted to highlight her one-time professional skating appearance which for whatever reason REALLY made an impact on me as a 12 year old back in '97. Stick around for the reveal at the end.

Polling closes in one week. If more than 10 people vote, I'll consider this a success. :p

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I will have to spend many hours thinking long and hard about this before I cast a vote, but I wanted to post now to acknowledge the importance of this query and also to show off my new avatar.
Omg. An award-winning avatar!💋

I understand the need to take time and contemplate--I've narrowed my vote down to 2 but can't decide yet.

I am upset this hoodie costume from Ross Miner is not an option
Nothing would please me more than adding a Ross Miner Glacier Falls program to this esteemed list, but he never interacts with the hoodie. :drama:

Last edited:

emason

Wasn’t there a Hartshorn and Sweiding routine where Sweiding was hooded? I can’t remember if it was a competition routine or an exhibition, but it would get my vote.

Eeyora1

Pasha and Evgeni look like they drank the Kool-Aid.

I don’t remember seeing Marina Keilmann as a professional. That program definitely deserves bonus points for the voids.

Yuri

I had the privilege to attend 1997 Trophee Lalique where Grishuk & Platov debuted the hooded version of their Memorial free dance, seeing both the practice and performance versions. They were fortunate to win gold when a bad fall marred the free dance in front of Anissina & Peizerat's wonderful Romeo & Juliet free dance, in Paris with a home crowd advantage. Frankly I was happy to see her dump the hooded costumes, but of course the blueberry skates remained!

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
While I was one of the enlightened duo to vote for Marina Kielmann, I have to admit the Pasha performance at 97 Lalique is iconic: the violet hooded smock, the preposterous kneeling start right in front of the judges, and the pre-and-post skate drama face. #RIPMarilyn

I am also loving the dramatic hand through hair at the start—wish she kept the hairography in for future events.

24 hours left to vote—can we please get Majorov into 2nd over that dreadful Oksana program, please? :saint:

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I don’t remember seeing Marina Keilmann as a professional. That program definitely deserves bonus points for the voids.
Her only professional competition ever, at least in America! I don't think she even did the Jaca World Pros.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
As I said on Saturday, I needed time to think long and hard (and thick and rich and delicious) about this. But now I have decided that Majorov is the clear winner.

I can sympathize with those who voted for Pasha and Oksana, but those are before my time. Once I turn 29, I may change my vote.

aliceanne

Her only professional competition ever, at least in America! I don't think she even did the Jaca World Pros.

She did a pro competition in Vegas in a cheek-baring showgirl costume where she took a hard butt-splat. I remember it being her because the commentator (Scott?) kept going on about how Katarina Witt reinstating ended her Olympic dream.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
She did a pro competition in Vegas in a cheek-baring showgirl costume where she took a hard butt-splat. I remember it being her because the commentator (Scott?) kept going on about how Katarina Witt reinstating ended her Olympic dream.
Well, she was at the Olympics in '88 and '92 so it wasn't like '94 was her only chance. And honestly she blew it herself at Euros, where she easily could've beaten Witt.

I don't remember any other pro competition that she was in, though.

Unless you mean this, from Round 1 of the same competition and in Idaho:

aliceanne

Well, she was at the Olympics in '88 and '92 so it wasn't like '94 was her only chance. And honestly she blew it herself at Euros, where she easily could've beaten Witt.

I don't remember any other pro competition that she was in, though.

Unless you mean this, from Round 1 of the same competition and in Idaho:

It could have been that competition. I don’t know why I remember her or that moment, I can’t remember anything else about the competition.

VGThuy

I have very little sympathy for any eligible skater complaining about pros coming back and taking "their spot" at the 1994 games because they already had a break by having an Olympics only two years after the last one. The only ones I feel sorry for were those who would've peaked in 1996 but then due to the changing schedules, had to wait six years after 1992 (and weren't at their prime in 1994) instead of four. But them's the breaks.

aliceanne

There was a fluff piece of Kielmann having a hissy fit after German Nats (she came in third, Witt came in second, Szechenko first). That was probably all the American commentators knew about her.

I wonder how Michelle Kwan would have done if there had been a 1996 Olympics (in a hood - to stay on topic).

alj5

Of the four options, I went with Pasha. I watched the whole program, and it reminded me how good they were. So much creativity that has spawned so many of the current dance lifts/positions. They were not my favorite team back in their heydey (I just had a soft spot for Bourne & Kraatz), but they did skate with loads of speed and were so secure in their choreography.

Though when I first read the headline, I immediately thought of Lucinda Ruh in the gold body suit.

cmk

Yes, this is the bullshit I wonder about on a Friday night. :scream:

The time has arrived to settle one of the most important questions facing us today: Who has the all-time definitive hooded costume?

The all-important criteria I'm using is that the hood must be used in competition (no exhibitions or galas) and the hood MUST be worn for at least a second or two in the program. I feel like I'm probably missing a pro dance routine here, let me know and I'll edit it in.

I recall Elena Sokolova skating with a hood. I am sure there are pro dance routines involving hoods but I can't think of any at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information