[Updated: out of JPN nationals] Hanyu pulls out of 2017 NHK Trophy with right ankle injury

Sylvia

TBD
This Dec. 10th article in English states that "Hanyu fell while attempting a quad lutz during official practice for the NHK Trophy, the fourth event of the Grand Prix Series, injuring the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee and also hurting his right ankle": https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...hamp-hanyu-yet-to-resume-practice-on-ice.html
According to Kobayashi, Hanyu is still feeling the effects of a right knee injury sustained during practice on Nov. 9, casting doubts over his participation at the upcoming national championships.
Kobayashi said Hanyu told her his condition has improved, but that he has not trained on the ice at his base in Toronto because he is still experiencing soreness in the knee.
Thanks to the Admin. who added "knee" in my original thread title above (since it sounds like his knee is more problematic than his ankle at this point).

Last edited:

barbarafan

This Dec. 10th article in English states that "Hanyu fell while attempting a quad lutz during official practice for the NHK Trophy, the fourth event of the Grand Prix Series, injuring the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee and also hurting his right ankle": https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...hamp-hanyu-yet-to-resume-practice-on-ice.html

Thanks to the Admin. who added "knee" in my original thread title above (since it sounds like his knee is more problematic than his ankle at this point).

Thanks Sylvia
So glad the ankle was hurt not broken.

Rock2

"knee" makes more sense.

When I saw the video of him landing, I wasn't even remotely worried about his ankle and instead assumed he ripped his knee six ways from Sunday. When all the talk was about ankle I was like....wut....?

Regardless, I hope he heals fast(er). I said many times, no one is allowed to be injured during the Olympic season....dangit!!

Sylvia

TBD
Yuzuru already had a minor knee injury at Autumn Classic that was bothering him. I hope this isn't the same knee.
Same knee, different injury? Orser cited a "sore right knee" as the reason why Hanyu would not be attempting the 4Lo at Autumn Classic International back in September.

Excerpt from the end of Jack Gallagher's latest Ice Time column (link is posted in the Japan news thread):
Sunday’s announcement from JSF director Yoshiko Kobayashi that world champion Yuzuru Hanyu has not returned to training on the ice after more than a month off is not a good sign.
Hanyu’s injury was initially diagnosed as a sprained collateral ligament in his right ankle, but Kobayashi referenced his knee in her comments at the GP Final.
In the final analysis, if rest and rehabilitation don’t heal Hanyu’s injuries, he may have to resort to pain-killing injections in his bid to become the first man since American Dick Button some 65 years ago to retain the Olympic title.

Carolla5501

And the problem with pain killing injections is they often deaden feeling in the entire area... I can't imagine trying to do quads on a "numb" leg. (OK, let's get real, I can't imagine doing a quad under any circumstances ,but it does seem like having a 'numb" leg would make it even more difficult!)

Spun Silver

And the problem with pain killing injections is they often deaden feeling in the entire area... I can't imagine trying to do quads on a "numb" leg. (OK, let's get real, I can't imagine doing a quad under any circumstances ,but it does seem like having a 'numb" leg would make it even more difficult!)
Well, Xue Shen famously skated to a triumphant Worlds gold medal on a numb leg, and while she didn't do quads her and Hongbo's program was state of the art difficult and is still considered one of the most memorable pairs programs ever. I wouldn't put it beyond Yuzu to be able to do the same on a numb leg. It's the loss of practice time that worries me most. That is just the worst timing.

Sylvia

TBD
Confusingly, the headline of this Kyodo news article in English says "Hanyu's ankle injury keeping him off ice": https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-ankle-ligament-injury-keeps-him-off-ice.html
Sochi Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu has sustained ligament damage to his right foot and may be sidelined longer than expected, Japan Skating Federation director Yoshiko Kobayashi said Wednesday.
"It became apparent that I injured my ligament, which normally takes longer to heal than a sprain," according to a statement from Hanyu read out by Kobayashi.
"The plan is to take the ice and start with basic moves like strokes and crossovers mainly on my left foot, then gradually work my way up to turns using my right foot," the statement said.
Can anyone clarify if the injured ligament in question is in his right knee or ankle?

Sylvia

TBD
New article: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...one-concerns-added-to-hanyus-injury-list.html
Olympic and world champion Yuzuru Hanyu revealed Thursday he suffered right ankle tendon and bone injuries in a training fall last month, adding the complaints to the ligament damage that has kept him off the ice since.
A day after the men's figure skating star announced the ligament injury through the Japan Skating Federation, the 23-year-old sparked more concern by saying there is not yet a plan in place for him to return to on-ice training.
"There is also inflammation in my tendon and bone so the speed of recovery will not be quick. It has not been decided when I'll be able to restart training," he said.

bardtoob

The knee was what I was most concerned about after examining this video.

https://twitter.com/tyugaeri/status/928551769377947648

Here is my initial impression from within the NHK Trophy Thread that announced he was pulling out.

:eek: He landed on his right back inside edge during the 4Lz, instead of the outside edge, while his free leg was still in front of him, which resulted in that awkward split like position but not before putting some terrible pressure on his twisted right knee :(

kittyjake5

So it is the ankle that is the problem and not the knee. Poor guy it must be so frustrating for him dealing with a serious injury. I pulled a tendon in my foot years ago I tripped on icy steps and it took about 6 months to heal without physical therapy.

Sylvia

TBD
The Kyodo news article posted by missing (post #48/Japan Times) is the same Kyodo news article linked in post #45.
Can anyone clarify if the injured ligament in question is in his right knee or ankle?
Just came across this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/941326818455490561
According to #NIKKEI, #YoshikoKobayashi stated that #YuzuruHanyu's "knee is fine. It's just his ankle."

It was Kobayashi who mentioned Hanyu's knee in the press statement on Sunday, Dec. 10 (post #31) which is what confused me (and led to my request to have "knee" added to this thread title :shuffle:).

ETA:

AFP newswire article (Dec. 14): https://sports.yahoo.com/figure-skating-injury-hit-champ-hanyu-faces-race-085656559--spt.html
Hanyu has been off the ice for nearly five weeks on doctors' orders to nurse his damaged right ankle ligaments, after injuring himself in practice on the eve of the NHK Trophy.

Last edited:

midori

I have never seen any Japanese news sources talking about the knee for this injury. I've just skimmed though news based on Kobayashi's announcement on 10th, and there's no word of "knee". There's no word of "ankle" either. I'd translate the word they use as "ligament of outside joint of the right foot".

I don't know how come the English version of Kyodo news used the word "knee" . The word "foot" in Japanese often means the leg so maybe the translator thought the "joint of the foot" means the knee?

kiches

I have never seen any Japanese news sources talking about the knee for this injury. I've just skimmed though news based on Kobayashi's announcement on 10th, and there's no word of "knee". There's no word of "ankle" either. I'd translate the word they use as "ligament of outside joint of the right foot".

I don't know how come the English version of Kyodo news used the word "knee" . The word "foot" in Japanese often means the leg so maybe the translator thought the "joint of the foot" means the knee?

I’m not sure why Kyodo said knee either, in a translated tweet I saw from Nikkan, Kobayashi said that it was just his ankle and that his knee was fine. I did send an inquiry on their website about the mention of his knee but I doubt I’ll get a response. If I were to guess, the English writers for Kyodo probably mixed up some old news from Autumn Classic when it was announced he had been off ice for a while because he had discomfort in his right knee and his team wanted to make sure it didn’t develop further. Since Kyodo was the first article in English to report the update, I think all other English media just copied what they read and now you see “knee” mentioned only in English news.

Spun Silver

I don't see how he could possibly compete at Nats after a five week hiatus when he hasn't even gotten back on the ice yet, and as of three days ago, the plan was "to take the ice and start with basic moves like strokes and crossovers mainly on my left foot, then gradually work my way up to turns using my right foot,” to quote Yuzu himself in the article linked by @missing. He is a long way from triples, let alone quads. Although I imagine he is willing himself to heal with Olympian drive, I don't think it's looking good for the Olympics at all. :( But I am just a simple layperson, not a doctor.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ru-hanyu-longer-expected-injury/#.WjVoC6ZOmhD

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't see how he could possibly compete at Nats after a five week hiatus when he hasn't even gotten back on the ice yet, and as of three days ago, the plan was "to take the ice and start with basic moves like strokes and crossovers mainly on my left foot, then gradually work my way up to turns using my right foot,” to quote Yuzu himself in the article linked by @missing. He is a long way from triples, let alone quads. Although I imagine he is willing himself to heal with Olympian drive, I don't think it's looking good for the Olympics at all. :( But I am just a simple layperson, not a doctor.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ru-hanyu-longer-expected-injury/#.WjVoC6ZOmhD

That's my feeling too. So sad!

Anita18

It depends!
Well, Xue Shen famously skated to a triumphant Worlds gold medal on a numb leg, and while she didn't do quads her and Hongbo's program was state of the art difficult and is still considered one of the most memorable pairs programs ever. I wouldn't put it beyond Yuzu to be able to do the same on a numb leg. It's the loss of practice time that worries me most. That is just the worst timing.
Numbing a leg to just get through the biggest competition of the year is one thing, but it's quite another to train for weeks on a numb leg. (Assuming that the pain is so bad Hanyu can't practice normally.) He could easily injure the area more and not even realize it. That would only make everything worse.

It sucks, but for his long-term health, I hope he gives it enough time to heal.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Yuzuru has nothing to prove, he has a name for himself edged on skating history forever

Hope he thinks about his own condition and health beyond skating, if there comes a time on this next 50 days until the games and he is not prepared then though it will be a big blow and loss he has to come first as a person more than a skater and all the fuzz and business around him

Will be tough for him to heal AND train to get where he was before the injury though at the time he was dealing with some back problems iirc

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information