WHAT KIND OF MUSIC IS USED FOR ICE-DANCING?

FSWer

Say,what type of music IS used? What would you call it? Like Rap is Rap Music,eg? Also,I was wondering...does anybody know if Holiday or Christmas Songs can be translated into Ice-Dance Music?

skatingguy

decently
Well, I guess depends what you consider Christmas music. For example, the Nutcracker Suite has been used many times in figure skating and I would consider it Christmas music. I don't think I've ever seen a competitive program to a Christmas Carol, but they get used in show programs all the time.

Willin

Anything with the correct rhythm can be used.

One of the most fun things of pattern dance competitions is that you never know what will be played. I've heard everything from free-use tango music to a waltz version of "My Bonnie" to "On the Floor" by J.Lo.

Some ice dancers even take music they like and add an appropriate rhythm or alter the speed to meet their needs.
Personally, I have a CD I use to practice patterns and then test/compete to whatever's available. For times I get to choose music for a free dance, I try to choose a rhythm first - my coach doesn't like shimmies or hip action, so it's been waltzes or tangos so far. Then I choose a selection of age-appropriate music with those rhythms that I like and send them off to my coach for approval.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer you can do ice dancing to any kind of music.

For the compulsory dances (pattern dances) there are rules about how fast or slow the music has to be. Usually this is a number of beats per minute. There is music that the ISU has chosen to be used when ice dancers are taking dance tests or competing the compulsory dances, but all of this music is songs that already existed. It isn't music that was written specifically for ice dancing.

For free dances, the skaters can usually choose whatever music they want.

Anyasnake

You can use anything that you want as long as it makes sense, even when it doesn't ;)

Last edited:

gkelly

For the Short Dance, the ISU chooses a group of rhythms that the teams have to use that year. For example, this year they can choose from
Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin
American Rhythms

The ISU rules for Free Dance music:

*The music must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not melody alone, and may be vocal....

*The music must have at least one change of tempo/rhythm and expression....

*All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colorful, entertaining dance program with different dance moods or a building effect.

*The music must be suitable for the Couple's skating skills and technical ability.

So it really doesn't matter what style of music they choose, as long as there is a rhythmic beat that is easy to hear and as long as there is some change in the rhythm or speed during the program -- either different pieces of music, or one piece that has some variety or build.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer anyone could ice dance to any of those songs if they wanted to. But most skaters don't use Christmas music for their competitions or tests because competitions and tests could happen at any time of the year. It would be odd for a skater to be skating to Christmas music in July or August. So when skaters do use Christmas music for their programs, it's usually only for shows or special appearances around December.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information