In Memoriam

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This one hits me hard. His was the soundtrack of a particular part of my life along with Manhattan Transfer and mid James Taylor. RIP.
Mine too. Kelly Slater posted a very touching tribute on his FB page today as did Hillary Clinton. They were good friends. Fair winds, Mr. Buffet.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
And Bill Richardson, former governor and high-level hostage negotiator, has died at 75. These guys are less than ten years older than me.
Yeah, when i read local or well known people's obituaries that list ages first...i have this brief fleeting moments of "old". Until i realize im 70.

even those just 80..kind of hit home.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Yeah, when i read local or well known people's obituaries that list ages first...i have this brief fleeting moments of "old". Until i realize im 70.

even those just 80..kind of hit home.
There are 12 first cousins on my dad’s side. At the holidays, they divided us by age for seating. Anyone younger than my brother sat at the kid‘s table. My brother is 81, so anyone younger is a “kid” as far as we are concerned.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Steve Harwell, Smash Mouth lead singer has died at 56, liver failure

All I really know about Smash Mouth is my.kids listened to them and they did the sound track for Shrek.

*"Hey now you're a all star
Get you game on, go play"*

Cachoo

Steve Harwell, Smash Mouth lead singer has died at 56, liver failure

All I really know about Smash Mouth is my.kids listened to them and they did the sound track for Shrek.

*"Hey now you're a all star
Get you game on, go play"*
He lost a baby to leukemia decades ago and had his own health issues. RIP

skatfan

vgerdes

"Dream Weaver" was one of my favorite songs as a kid. RIP Mr. Wright. And Jimmy Buffett... damn. This year has been a tough one. So many beloved icons gone.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Today marks the 50th anniversary of Jim Croce's death when he was killed in a plane crash leaving the airport in Natchitoches Louisiana. That was in 1973 right after his concert at Northwestern University.

This is from an article published by NOLA.com. Jim's wife, Ingrid, received a letter 4 days later after his death.

“30 more to go”
Four days after the crash, Ingrid Croce received a letter her husband had written that day.

It talked about his desire to retire from performing, instead becoming “a public hermit,” who concentrated on writing in order to attend to his family.

Croce closed with “Give my little man (A.J.) a kiss,” followed by, “Remember, it’s the first 60 years that count, and I’ve got 30 more to go.” Except he didn’t.

There will also be a tribute celebrating his life tonight at the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in Natchitoches.

You're still missed so much by those who remember you including me that were around before 1973.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Today marks the 50th anniversary of Jim Croce's death when he was killed in a plane crash leaving the airport in Natchitoches Louisiana. That was in 1973 right after his concert at Northwestern University.

This is from an article published by NOLA.com. Jim's wife, Ingrid, received a letter 4 days later after his death.

There will also be a tribute celebrating his life tonight at the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in Natchitoches.

You're still missed so much by those who remember you including me that were around before 1973.

I still love to listen to Jim Croce's music.

sk9tingfan

I totally remember seeing Jim Croce live at the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park in the early 70's. It was memorable; lots of Bic lighters.

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Oh Ducky! :(

I loved him on NCIS. Was surprised to hear that he was Illya Kuryakin from my father (LOL). I remember when Kate (Sasha Alexander) asked Gibbs (Mark Harmon) "What did Ducky look like when he was young?" to which Gibbs replied "Illya Kuryakin"

He was also in the "Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. The gossip was that co-star Charles Bronson "stole" Jill Ireland, who was McCallum's wife at the time.

RIP. What a great career.

Skate Talker

I think every girl at my school had a crush on him when he was in Man From UNCLE.
Me too.

I am watching the first episode of NCIS right now. Started watching and was enjoying Ducky's antics. He was so much younger than on his more recent appearances that his hair still reminded me of his cute haircut on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - so I was reminiscing. (How strange is that.)

On the commercial break I decided to check out FSU and saw the sad news. Unbelievable he was about 70 when NCIS made its debut in 2003. He looked much younger. RIP to one of my first TV-actor crushes.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Oh Ducky! :(

I loved him on NCIS. Was surprised to hear that he was Illya Kuryakin from my father (LOL). I remember when Kate (Sasha Alexander) asked Gibbs (Mark Harmon) "What did Ducky look like when he was young?" to which Gibbs replied "Illya Kuryakin"

He was also in the "Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. The gossip was that co-star Charles Bronson "stole" Jill Ireland, who was McCallum's wife at the time.

RIP. What a great career.
But happily he was married to his current wife (widow) Katharine for 56 years. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information