Emoji weirdness

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Some of us have been having issues with emojis for a while now (one, two weeks? not sure). We put them in our posts and they look fine in the text box. But when we post them, they are smaller. And sometimes have different colors.

For example, here is thinking πŸ€” which I see as having a white hand and decent size. And here is unsure :unsure: and it looks identical in the text box. But in the Preview and when I post it, thinking is smaller and has a yellow hand.

This just started happening recently. It hasn't been like this from the beginning when we first got these new emojis.

shrug is another one. It used to be this size: 🀷 or even bigger but now it's this size 🀷

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
To me it looks like the small one is the β€˜mobile phone emoji’.

Are you typing the code for it, or selecting it from the emoji from the preview window, or some other way?

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Ok, so on the thinking one, to me it looks like:

Typing it is small πŸ€”
Emoji in Default is large :unsure:
Emoji in People is small πŸ€”

As evidence they are different if you use the one in default and the one in people they show as different emojis in your recent section.

So my guess is it is actually 2 different emojis?

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Ahhh ok.

πŸ€” πŸ€”

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Kind of funny it’s these 2 emojis because they kind of sum up how I am feeling about this at 5am :lol: Maybe Sharpie will know more about the emojis.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think it will probably take @ServerGuy because the emojis look right when we type/select them but change when the post gets posted. So I think the substitution is happening in the code.

skatingguy

decently
@Server Guy I'm noticing that all the emojis from the extended list in posts are either little boxes, or are now black & white. Is anyone else noticing this? If you scroll up this thread some of the posts are all little boxes.

On My Own

@Server Guy I'm noticing that all the emojis from the extended list in posts are either little boxes, or are now black & white. Is anyone else noticing this? If you scroll up this thread some of the posts are all little boxes.
Which browser are you using? Mine is fine (latest firefox on windows).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Not noticing that but I do notice that when I type : 'stuff', some of the default emojis that I know are there don't show up. Like typing in ":scream" gives me :scream: and πŸ™€ but not 😱 which I can only find if I bring up the list of all emojis and scroll

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
Some of us have been having issues with emojis for a while now (one, two weeks? not sure). We put them in our posts and they look fine in the text box. But when we post them, they are smaller. And sometimes have different colors.

For example, here is thinking πŸ€” which I see as having a white hand and decent size. And here is unsure :unsure: and it looks identical in the text box. But in the Preview and when I post it, thinking is smaller and has a yellow hand.

This just started happening recently. It hasn't been like this from the beginning when we first got these new emojis.

shrug is another one. It used to be this size: 🀷 or even bigger but now it's this size 🀷
I think this is down to a bug in the core software. I'll look in to that.
This sounds like your device needs an update. Little boxes showing in place of emojis usually means your system doesn't know how to represent that particular emoji which is the case for newer ones.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
There's also another way to get emojis. If you're on your PC or laptop, you can hit the Windows key plus the period, and select from those emojis. I haven't done this in awhile, but testing to see what they look like.

πŸ’žπŸ€Έβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈπŸ₯¨πŸ’πŸ›΄πŸŒžπŸŒˆ

These are smaller, too, but I believe that's the way they're supposed to look.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There's also another way to get emojis. If you're on your PC or laptop, you can hit the Windows key plus the period, and select from those emojis. I haven't done this in awhile, but testing to see what they look like.

πŸ’žπŸ€Έβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈπŸ₯¨πŸ’πŸ›΄πŸŒžπŸŒˆ

These are smaller, too, but I believe that's the way they're supposed to look.
They aren't as small as the ones we are complaining about. :D

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
πŸ€ͺ Just checking to see if the zany one looks okay. Actually, I use that one for a confusion emoji. It looks okay now, but the test will be when I hit the reply button.

Editing to add that it doesn't look right after posting. Weird. :lol:

Addryn

I've always liked putting emojis with punctuation marks better, but this doesn't look appropriate on the forum. In principle, you can get used to the fact that emojis look a little different

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information