2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
You have to wonder what is going on with Ruiter, as she is registered to skate at next week's Wild Rose summer event in Alberta but not at this week-end's Next Gen event.
I think a good showing at wild rose she will get a jpg, doesn’t need to travel to Ontario especially if she has been slotted for the early jpg. I would assume the focus will be making junior worlds in Calgary.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think a good showing at wild rose she will get a jpg, doesn’t need to travel to Ontario especially if she has been slotted for the early jpg. I would assume the focus will be making the final in Calgary.
Well, the JGPF is in Torino, but, yes, I think there has got to be a strong focus on making the podium at Jr Worlds in Calgary.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Let the season begin! May the women meet their goals, be satisfied with their progress, understand that ice is slippery, create and maintain healthy mental health practices, break and body image issues they have, and, most importantly, have fun and learn life lessons.

It would be more helpful for the sport not to tell them, implicitly or explicitly, that their bodies are not "good enough" or the wrong shape or size. Body image issues don't come out of nowhere.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Not confirmed yet by Skate Canada, but Lia Pereira is on the isu entries for the first JGP event in Courchevel. I wasn’t surprised as I noticed her ISU bio had been updated with new music for this season, so I figured she’d get one of the first assignments. The subs are Sara Maude Dupuis, Hetty Shi and Fiona Bombardier.

Sylvia

TBD
National team
TBD
Skate Canada announced the 3 women on on the 2022-2023 National Team yesterday (July 25):

Madeline Schizas, 18, Oakville, Ont. (3rd straight season on NT)
Gabrielle Daleman, 24, Newmarket, Ont. (returns after being on the NT from 2013-2020)
Alison Schumacher, 19, Tecumseh, Ont. (3rd straight season on NT)

As mentioned earlier, all 3 will be at Skate Canada International; Schizas has a 2nd GP in Espoo, Finland (last one of the series).

ETA: Skate Canada tweeted the total scores & photos of the top 3 women in the NextGen Camp's competition simulation that finished on Sunday (they each landed 6 triples :)): https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/1551409663819878401

Last edited:

million$momma

Not confirmed yet by Skate Canada, but Lia Pereira is on the isu entries for the first JGP event in Courchevel. I wasn’t surprised as I noticed her ISU bio had been updated with new music for this season, so I figured she’d get one of the first assignments. The subs are Sara Maude Dupuis, Hetty Shi and Fiona Bombardier.
Hopefully that's a sign that her training/monitoring has been going well and that this weekend's skating was just first comp of the year jitters!

Jammers

I'm really surprised that Kaiya Ruiter is staying junior for another season internationally with very little depth among the Senior Canadian ladies i don't see why she didn't move up why stay a junior?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ruiter has not been assigned to any internationals yet (she’s not even a sub for the first JGP). She’s actually competing senior at her summer event this weekend. So who can say for sure if she is staying junior internationally or not. We’ll have to see when Skate Canada posts more of their international assignments.

Jammers

Ruiter has not been assigned to any internationals yet (she’s not even a sub for the first JGP). She’s actually competing senior at her summer event this weekend. So who can say for sure if she is staying junior internationally or not. We’ll have to see when Skate Canada posts more of their international assignments.
Is she healthy now? I'd assume that's why we didn't see her after the JGP season was over.

Sylvia

TBD
Looking forward to seeing Kaiya Ruiter compete for the first time in 11 months at Wild Rose late tonight (Senior Women SP is scheduled to start at 8:20 pm Mountain time - comp. info is in Kiss & Cry as well as on Alberta-NWT/Nunavut's website).
Justine Miclette was filmed recently by OIP's Jordan Cowan - excerpts from her SP ("Lover to Lover" by Florence + the Machine): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cgh14xsgYuo/
Miclette has been assigned to JGP #3 in Riga, Latvia, according to epjm_team's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgkz1-mLJhV/

danafan

Canadian ladies über

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Lia Pereira is leading after the short program at Cranberry. She landed a clean triple flip triple toe combo with positive GOE, but had trouble on her triple loop. Much better than what she did at the Next Gen event. Surely she should get a senior international later in the season.
The other Canadians did not skate well unfortunately and none of them achieved the jr worlds TES minimums (25 points; Roccatani came close).

Sylvia

TBD
Pereira's coach, who also coaches Schizas, shared a clip of her 3F+3T (first time landed in comp. AFAIK): https://www.instagram.com/p/ChI9qxDr1I0/
Lia's happy post with podium pics (last one is a clip of her 2A+3T in her winning 7-triple FS yesterday): https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLed8Ps3qe/
Nice confidence booster heading into her JGP in Courchevel in less than 2 weeks!
The other Canadians did not skate well unfortunately and none of them achieved the jr worlds TES minimums (25 points; Roccatani came close).
Roccatani moved up to finish 5th at Cranberry Cup (opened her FS with 3T+3T) and got the 2023 Junior Worlds TES minimum of 40 in her FS.
Hewitt and Kukulowicz placed 9 & 10th, respectively, of 12.

Tobin drew 1st, Schizas 3rd and Schumacher 13th (of 15) for this afternoon's Cranberry Cup Senior Women's SP.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Kaetlyn is coaching! Ravi linked to this post in his stories with a message about how nice it is to be coaching with her.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Tobin easily got her 4CC minimums and was actually very close to the worlds minimums at Cranberry today. She is fifth after the short and is in line to get world standing points!
Schizas is leading though she did not have a great skate (step out on combo).
Schumacher is 6th after the short and probably downgraded her combo.

If Tobin skates this well tomorrow in the free Skate Canada cannot deny her a challenger event. Seriously.

Rock2

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with what I saw from Schizas in the short.

This isn't about scoring at this point in the season. What I'm looking for in August is a sign of where the step forward in points might be coming from based on the work over the summer. Not seeing any noticeable development. Elements still look at the +1 to +3 level across the board, still only doing 2A in the bonus and the packaging continues to not be ideal. There is more drama in her short with Black Swan, so I like that part, however this sort of music suits a skater with long limbs and a strong body line while skating. Not Maddie's strength yet at this point in her career. (However, at the end of the day, I wonder if it really matters, bc Zagitova won the Olympics with a less than......oh, never mind. Won't go there).

It's possible the LP might be her focus this year, at least in terms of jump content, so I'll reserve my optimism for that phase. I'm sure she's got something up her sleeve.

Evgeniafan

Tobin easily got her 4CC minimums and was actually very close to the worlds minimums at Cranberry today. She is fifth after the short and is in line to get world standing points!
Schizas is leading though she did not have a great skate (step out on combo).
Schumacher is 6th after the short and probably downgraded her combo.

If Tobin skates this well tomorrow in the free Skate Canada cannot deny her a challenger event. Seriously.
Tobin was my favorite, I hope to see her at a challenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information