Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

Sylvia

TBD
Also, he was asked what he plans to skate for the Japan shows and he kind of hemmed and hawed before saying it was a secret, so my guess is that we might get an early look at one of next season's programs in July. Or, at least, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping, lol.
Drew Meekins has an Instagram story today that says "It was so much fun to work with Ilia this past week on his new exhibition program" (when Ilia was in Colorado Springs for the jump camp).

Sylvia

TBD
I didn't see this posted earlier... Ilia won the PSA's Men's "Best Performance" award at 2022 Nationals - the Professional Skaters Association published a press release back on April 14, 2022 ("The award is based on the "total performance" with an eye to costuming, presentation, music selection, choreography, style, and technique."):

Best Performance Men
Ilia Malinin — Championship Mens Free Skate Program
PSA Coaches – Tatyana Malinina, Roman Skorniakov, Rafael Arutyunyan
Choreographer – Irina Romanova
Music Selection – "Nobody Knows" by Autograf and "Golden Age" by Woodkid
Costume Design – Victoria Nekrilova from Marusia design studio

PSA's Instagram post includes his photo & the URL to their press release: https://www.instagram.com/p/CclhfhctUbZ/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia on Polina's latest podcast (May 25):
In this episode I chat with 2022 Junior World Champion and US Silver Medalist Ilia Malinin about his start in skating, coaching, the timeline of learning all his jumps, his latest season with starting with the JGP's, his Nationals experience as a first year senior in an Olympic year, how he felt about the Olympic team selection, his experience competing at the World Championships and Junior World Championships, how he feels about the hype surrounding his name, his Quad Axel, and some more on who Ilia is!
ETA that the "legit" 4A Ilia talks about near the end of this episode must be the clip (LiveBarn video) that his mom posted on Instagram. ;)

Ilia says he enjoys attending high school part-time in person (where no one really knows him for skating) as well as online the rest of the time.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Mind officially blown...

1) he plans on trying the 4A in competition, hopefully, next season, and he really only started trying it out on the ice the week that he landed that first video we saw with the stepout.. WHAAAAAATTTT???

2) plans are for a SEVEN quad layout. I can't even wrap my head around what that would look like on the element sheet, lol. Though we do know that it won't include a 4T-4T since he said those are only for funsies and it takes too much energy to even consider putting them in a program.

I have no words... well, except we need to hold onto our hats because if Ilia stays healthy, this is going to be one heck of a ride the next four years.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Mind officially blown...

1) he plans on trying the 4A in competition, hopefully, next season, and he really only started trying it out on the ice the week that he landed that first video we saw with the stepout.. WHAAAAAATTTT???

2) plans are for a SEVEN quad layout. I can't even wrap my head around what that would look like on the element sheet, lol. Though we do know that it won't include a 4T-4T since he said those are only for funsies and it takes too much energy to even consider putting them in a program.

I have no words... well, except we need to hold onto our hats because if Ilia stays healthy, this is going to be one heck of a ride the next four years.
That first video being from the first week he tried the 4A is mind blowing. Haven't both Hanyu and Dmitriev Jr worked on the 4A for years?

This is all... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gosh, I'm going to enjoy this.

antmanb

Ilia did an IG Live today during one of his practice sessions and confirmed that one of his intended jumping passes for the FS next season will be a 4T-3A.
You have to ask yourself why when sequences are penalised with the 0.8 factor. He'd get more for doing the jumps individually.

I guess if he does plan a 7 quad programme he can more than make up the points deficit but again it highlights how stupid the scoring system is when it penalises sequences and doesn't give higher values for second/third jumps in combination.

D

Deleted member 221

You have to ask yourself why when sequences are penalised with the 0.8 factor. He'd get more for doing the jumps individually.

I guess if he does plan a 7 quad programme he can more than make up the points deficit but again it highlights how stupid the scoring system is when it penalises sequences and doesn't give higher values for second/third jumps in combination.

The proposal, to be confirmed at the ISU Congress, is that the sequence penalty is going away. And three jump sequences will be possible, allowing for 4T+3A+3A, for instance.

antmanb

The proposal, to be confirmed at the ISU Congress, is that the sequence penalty is going away. And three jump sequences will be possible, allowing for 4T+3A+3A, for instance.
Oh I didn't know that was being proposed....but i want to say it's been proposed before and not passed so hopefully this time it will.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting (from the U.S. Men's thread) this Golden Skate article by Tatjana Flade (June 10): https://www.goldenskate.com/2022/06/ilia-malinin/
Excerpt:
For the 2022-23 season, the skater wants to change both programs. He is thinking of doing a Swing or Jazz style piece for the Short Program and slower music for the Free Skate, maybe even Japanese music.
“Not exactly because Worlds is in Japan,” Malinin said of the Free Skate music, “but because I had a program that was in Japanese style and it kind of didn’t work out. So I kind of want to redeem it.”
Fan cam from June 2018 (Ilia's Novice season) of his Hanyu-inspired program :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQj40f2dSCo

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I certainly hope Malinin is serious about improving his presentation this season. Let's be real: those Billie Jean and Woodkid programs were dreadful for any senior-level skater, much less a supposed Worlds medal contender.

orbitz

^ You think a teenager is suddenly going to magically skate like a mature John Curry out on the ice? Do some homework and watch Malinin's programs from 2020 and prior and compare those to his programs from last season. The kid had worked hard on his spins and presentation, and it showed. Yes, he still has more work to do on the presentation side, especially the LP, but that's the reality for many skaters in his age group. Malinin knows that and has said in interviews that it's something he needs to work more on.

Karen-W

Bruce Waddell posted these 2 pics with Ilia (and Alec Guinzbourg) in Toronto yesterday - looks like the Granite club: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce6vD2eP1G_/
He could be getting a new program for competition... or a show program for his upcoming appearances in Japan?
And to follow up on this... Juris Razgulajevs posted this to his IG today - https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce_jLMnrDft/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

So, we know who choreographed his FS! Can't wait for Ilia to share what the music for it is!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Another quad axel vid... this one looks like it would get at least a < though.

I hope that Ilia gets the job done - the ratified quad axel - this upcoming season…then settles down to enjoy a long and healthy career with “easier” quads, triples, great skating skills and musicality! I know that he can tap his inner John Curry as he grows up. He has it in him - I can feel it!
🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

Sylvia

TBD
Drew Meekins has an Instagram story today that says "It was so much fun to work with Ilia this past week on his new exhibition program" (when Ilia was in Colorado Springs for the jump camp).
Saw on Twitter than Ilia reportedly performed to "Jealous" by Labrinth at the first (July 1) Dreams on Ice show in Japan.
Photo: https://mainichi.jp/graphs/20220701/mpj/00m/050/076000f/8

ETA link to sponichitokyo's photo that includes his song title, "Jealous": https://www.instagram.com/p/CfedMn4pnuG/

Last edited:

Karen-W

Here's a full video of his new exhibition program -

The 4A must be really getting solid in practice seeing that he went for it (fell, but had the rotation) during the program under show lighting!

Flake99

Banned Member
I am looking forward to a rivalry between Malinin and Kagiyama in the next few years, but I am also hoping that Malinin does not skate to Imagine Dragons or the horrifically overused "Rain, in Your Black Eyes" or any other 21st century music associated with Papadakis and Cizeron (or, for that matter, Michael Buble; or, for that matter, any Michael Jackson song regardless of whether it is a cover by a failed American Idol contestant).

I think it would be far preferable for Malinin to skate both programs to selections of music associated with Winnie the Pooh cartoons, just because every time he fully rotates a 4A a certain unhinged fanbase causes maximum chaos on Twitter.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
That's a really good costume on him. I hope he goes more for that kind of look next season. It suits him much more than those buttoned-up-to-the-chin, every-inch-crammed-with-sparkles things he wore this season.

Sylvia

TBD
In Ilia's IG Live with Oliver Praetorius today he mentioned he will be going to Los Angeles to get a new program (SP with Shae-Lynn Bourne?) after he returns from THE ICE shows in Japan in late July.

ETA: He may be doing the Japan Open on October 8 (the non-Japanese skaters haven't been announced yet).

mtnskater

What’s the latest news about Ilia? I’m not on Instagram. For awhile Quadgod posts were frequently mentioned on FSU. I hope he’s not injured 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information