2021 Nebelhorn Men Top 7 Poll FINAL

Who will make top 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The first 5 should have a bit of a cushion in their quest, but then things get slightly more competitive.

I suspect the final 2 will come down to Kerry, Fentz, Lee, and even a really 'on' Hayrapetyan. I'm especially rooting for the latter to do well, as he was one of the unlucky last-minute CV withdrawals going into Worlds.

ETA- I understand Zandron being thrown into the poll, but he didn't give me much confidence after this week.

Kateri

void beast
Basar Oktar has been getting better and better lately. I wouldn't count him out!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Basar Oktar has been getting better and better lately. I wouldn't count him out!
He was improving but I don't think he's progressed much in the last season and a half or so (may or may not be due to CV restrictions/lockdowns/whatever). I know that Demirboga shared the protocols on his story from the event the Federation held to decide who would be the Nebelhorn Olympic qualifying entrant, and neither score was really impressive IIRC.

Kateri

void beast
He was improving but I don't think he's progressed much in the last season and a half or so (may or may not be due to CV restrictions/lockdowns/whatever). I know that Demirboga shared the protocols on his story from the event the Federation held to decide who would be the Nebelhorn Olympic qualifying entrant, and neither score was really impressive IIRC.
He'd need others to falter, yeah. But his PB's 202, only about 15 points below, eg, Zandron, and few of this lot are consistent.

edit - ah, well, if the latest's 188, then not getting better very recently!

A long shot!

...actually, what will absolutely happen is that Demirboga will beat him and come top 7, but it won't count.

Last edited:

olympic

WAIT ..... Kondratiuk has been subbed in for Aliev? Well, we knew the RUS Fed. was going to make a final decision after the Test Skates.

So, I think in order of all likelihood - Zhou, Kondratiuk, Sadovsky, Siao Him Fa, Litvintsev, Lee, and Fentz. If I had to pick the least likely of the top men, it would be Kerry.

SamuraiK

Final spots are nail biter between Fentz, Kerry, Korean guy and Slavik. Though this is men we are talking so guys like Sadovsky and Litvintsev can very well meltdown hard.

screech

Good luck to Roman in the FP. If he doesn't confirm the 2nd spot, I doubt SC will send him to the Olympics as the lone entry, even if he has a good GP circuit and handily wins Canadians. So IMO this is definitely the most pressure-filled event of his career so far.

olympic

Good luck to Roman in the FP. If he doesn't confirm the 2nd spot, I doubt SC will send him to the Olympics as the lone entry, even if he has a good GP circuit and handily wins Canadians. So IMO this is definitely the most pressure-filled event of his career so far.
Isn't it assumed that Keegan would be the lone entry anyway?

screech

Isn't it assumed that Keegan would be the lone entry anyway?
I'd say he's the favourite, but not a lock. If Nam were to win Canadians, and doesn't tank on the GP circuit, he'd probably get sent. Same with Roman (if he doesn't perform badly in the LP here)

VGThuy

2 words: Shin Amano
I'm actually a bit encouraged. Having two "Qs" from Amano this early in the season is a pretty good sign for Zhou. Zhou used to get some > or even >> early in the season (though not as much as his detractors think) and he cleans them up later. He's escaping Mao Asada/Mirai Nagasu/Ashley Wagner territory by not getting any > for his jumps. The fact that he scored as high as he did with the "Q"s shows he's totally in the medal hunt if his jumps get called fully-rotated.

Taso

I'm actually a bit encouraged. Having two "Qs" from Amano this early in the season is a pretty good sign for Zhou. Zhou used to get some > or even >> early in the season (though not as much as his detractors think) and he cleans them up later. He's escaping Mao Asada/Mirai Nagasu/Ashley Wagner territory by not getting any > for his jumps. The fact that he scored as high as he did with the "Q"s shows he's totally in the medal hunt if his jumps get called fully-rotated.

Gosh, Asada, Nagasu, and Wagner may have had really different career trajectories if the "Q" was a thing during their careers...

olympic

The event has been completed. Any surprises?

For me, no. Zhou delighted me by holding it together and not just staying upright, but surviving Shin w/ only q's for the most part. I had a feeling that RUS entry regardless of who it was would perform adequately, that young skaters like Siao Him Fa and Lee were on a roll and would get the job done. Litvintsev finished around where I thought he would. He's a solid skater.

I guess that my biggest eyebrow raisers were Sadovsky barely making it (I thought he would be a medalist) and Kerry holding it together enough to actually make it. He usually pops himself into oblivion in the LP. I had also predicted that Fentz was the most likely of the top skaters to not make the cut, and that came to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information