Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

sk9tingfan

Ohhh, I’ve always wondered how choosing doubles partners works! Does every event have a signup list and people join it if they haven’t already arranged a partner? How does it work? What if they hate the person that gets picked? :lol:
It must be even harder at the slams for finding a mixed doubles partner as there are so few events.
I have no idea if this is the case with all tournaments, but I guess maybe it is. Too bad they lost. :cry:

feraina

Does anyone have a link for watching the French Open? Serena's 2nd round match is in a tense stage. I'm dying to see what's going on!

millyskate

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Ohhh, I’ve always wondered how choosing doubles partners works! Does every event have a signup list and people join it if they haven’t already arranged a partner? How does it work? What if they hate the person that gets picked? :lol:
It must be even harder at the slams for finding a mixed doubles partner as there are so few events.
Most of the top doubles players have a regular partner & a contract/arrangement about which tournaments they will play together. Other players will play with whoever happens to be at the event playing. Doubles entry works like entry for singles. The players sign up with their partner & the pairs are listed based on the ranking (best ranking between singles & doubles is used) & then the teams with the lowest combined ranking get entry to the tournament. There's also an alternate list & some tournaments, but not many, have qualifying matches for doubles. It is not uncommon for doubles partners to hate each other - not usually when they start - but sometimes by the end of the partnership.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Just when almost all of the main top 10 contenders were knocked out before 4th Round at the French Open and chances for Serena to maybe get that 24 GS and well... there she went and lost to another newcomer from Slovakia

I think the magic record breaking slam wont come

skatingguy

decently
Just when almost all of the main top 10 contenders were knocked out before 4th Round at the French Open and chances for Serena to maybe get that 24 GS and well... there she went and lost to another newcomer from Slovakia

I think the magic record breaking slam wont come
Rybakina is Russian representing Kazakhstan.

Sylvia

TBD
This week on Fabio Molle's The Functional Tennis Podcast: https://link.chtbl.com/fichman-moscovitch
This week we speak to Canadian couple Sharon Fichman & Dylan Moscovitch 🇨🇦
Sharon is a professional tennis player, while Dylan is a former Olympic figure skater 😃
We talk:
  • How they met
  • Sharon's decision to break from tennis
  • Dylan's life as a figure skater
  • Travelling together
  • High Impact Athletes
It's not very often that we get the chance to see to speak to two people at once on the podcast, with this interview being our first time interviewing a couple!
Dylan shared 2 photos from Roland Garros last week: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPqaRp4pCmj/

Sharon Fichman and her Mexican partner Giuliana Olmos won the Italian Open doubles title last month as alternates:

Fichman/Olmos lost their third-round match in 3 sets at the French Open against Croatia's Petra Martić and USA's Shelby Rogers:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
On a tennis board I'm on, someone posted an interesting op/ed by Taylor Townshend which I thought was a good read. If you don't know who she is, she was once a promising junior (was number one ranked junior in the WORLD) who was fat- and body- shamed and was denied a invitation to the USOpen that year because of her weight. She's also black and talked about her experience growing up in Georgia in the white world of tennis. I liked what she had to say, but the board I'm on was 90% anti-Taylor and the racism/anger from these people was palpable. It's a little long, but it made me happy for her. She's now 25 and just had a child. I like her and her attitude, or at least can relate to her feelings. Also, personally interesting to me, is that for a time she had been coached by Zina Garrison right down the road from me on the public tennis courts that Zina and Lori McNeil learned to play tennis on and where I play and take lessons. She had mad skills, could serve/volley and really the major thing holding her back was her body-type. I've been a big fan of hers after I saw her beat Halep in the 3R of the USOpen in 2019, and wondered what happened to her. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/p...CfVKaoiuQ5WoUZSw5lwzpiNTC1jXmFYvjyJAFZSg-Dpd8

ETA: Here is a highlight of her playing Serena at the USO in 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU_SCSkNpow

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Tape delayed and in the 2nd set! I'll stick to live telecast in the 3rd on TCC! :40beers:
Oh, okay!!! I don't want to spoil the fun of anyone's play by play, so I'll stay off this thread until it's over by my time. I am really rooting for Djokovic. I want to experience the nerves of watching this entire match to the end! So far, this is a pretty good match!

eusebius

On a tennis board I'm on, someone posted an interesting op/ed by Taylor Townshend which I thought was a good read. If you don't know who she is, she was once a promising junior (was number one ranked junior in the WORLD) who was fat- and body- shamed and was denied a invitation to the USOpen that year because of her weight. She's also black and talked about her experience growing up in Georgia in the white world of tennis. I liked what she had to say, but the board I'm on was 90% anti-Taylor and the racism/anger from these people was palpable. It's a little long, but it made me happy for her. She's now 25 and just had a child. I like her and her attitude, or at least can relate to her feelings. Also, personally interesting to me, is that for a time she had been coached by Zina Garrison right down the road from me on the public tennis courts that Zina and Lori McNeil learned to play tennis on and where I play and take lessons. She had mad skills, could serve/volley and really the major thing holding her back was her body-type. I've been a big fan of hers after I saw her beat Halep in the 3R of the USOpen in 2019, and wondered what happened to her. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/p...CfVKaoiuQ5WoUZSw5lwzpiNTC1jXmFYvjyJAFZSg-Dpd8

ETA: Here is a highlight of her playing Serena at the USO in 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU_SCSkNpow
I think I am on the same board. I agree with you 100% and was disappointed with the lack of support posters showed there. Good article.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
What a match!! I am so happy to see them both still playing at the top of their game. And I admit though I hate feeling stressed out, palms sweating, and feeling the need to run out of the room during every game, I actually LOVE that I can still be emotionally engaged in the match. I also really only feel that way about Serena and Federer. It's fun to be excited and into a match!! lol. Now I'm going to be a nervous wreck in the men's final. I have no idea who the women are in the final and probably won't even watch. Tennis is really going to lose something when the skaters I named all retire. I probably will really lose my interest in watching the sport. Congrats Nole and good job Rafa for not giving up!

quartz

scratching at the light
Tsitsipas probably will win one of these major titles one day, but this lose is going to scar.
He looked so sad. Twenty-two years old and made the French Open final, took Djokovic 5 full sets to beat him, won almost a million dollars, and he’s still disappointed. He’s gonna fight so hard - can’t wait to watch the next few years.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Now that the Slam race is about even, who do you want to end up with the record? Federer is by far my favorite of the three, but I can't see him winning another Slam, even Wimbledon. Between Nadal and Djokovic, if one of them has to have the record, I'd rather see Djokovic have the record. I respect Nadal's athleticism, but his tennis to me is not pretty. It's all grunt work, and making it look as hard as can be. If Djoko wins Wimbledon and USO this year, he'll pass both of them, in addition to achieving the CYGS. Which would make him likely considered the GOAT. Who is your favorite?

nylynnr

Now that the Slam race is about even, who do you want to end up with the record? Federer is by far my favorite of the three, but I can't see him winning another Slam, even Wimbledon. Between Nadal and Djokovic, if one of them has to have the record, I'd rather see Djokovic have the record. I respect Nadal's athleticism, but his tennis to me is not pretty. It's all grunt work, and making it look as hard as can be. If Djoko wins Wimbledon and USO this year, he'll pass both of them, in addition to achieving the CYGS. Which would make him likely considered the GOAT. Who is your favorite?
Unless he hits a series of middle-aged lineswomen in the throat with errant shots, Djokovic has the record.

Old saying: Nadal is GOAT on clay, Federer is GOAT on hard court, Sampras is GOAT on grass. Djokovic is second-best ever on all three surfaces.

DBZ

Even if Roger pulls a miracle and wins another slam this year, I still think Djokovic will emerge with the all-time record of Grand Slams in the end.

Not matter what, I can't see Federer playing beyond 40 or 41, especially after having 2 knee surgeries.

But Novak is still only 34 and has at least 5 more years ahead of him if he stays healthy. If he stays on pace and keeps winning a slam (or two) a year, he'll easily set a new record.

I prefer Federer myself, but you can't argue the stats. Djokovic's wins over Federer and Nadal speak for themselves. He might just end up being the GOAT.

Fiero425

Even if Roger pulls a miracle and wins another slam this year, I still think Djokovic will emerge with the all-time record of Grand Slams in the end.

Not matter what, I can't see Federer playing beyond 40 or 41, especially after having 2 knee surgeries.

But Novak is still only 34 and has at least 5 more years ahead of him if he stays healthy. If he stays on pace and keeps winning a slam (or two) a year, he'll easily set a new record.

I prefer Federer myself, but you can't argue the stats. Djokovic's wins over Federer and Nadal speak for themselves. He might just end up being the GOAT.

It's gonna kill the diehard Fedal fan when Djokovic takes over all the major records! He's already on the cusp at an earlier age so he's ahead of schedule, but it isn't sitting well with detractors that come up with so many reasons not to appreciate him! It's sad! :40beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information