Fans are really getting out of hand

Alexa

The hate towards Nathan on Twitter around the nationals got Nathan’s sister yesterday. Mostly from attacks from a certain group of fans about everything Nathan is doing, from the interviews before and after the com. Her elder sister posted an IG story about the hate.

link to her IG

tweets about his pre nationals interview, both from the same interview.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The Fanyu seem to take the scoring very seriously, and are very upset with Nathan's US Nationals scores as if they mean something.
The Fanyus are ****ing insane. They totally lost it when Denis Ten was murdered and commented stuff like "He deserved it because he often disturbed Yuzu" underneath Ten's videos on youtube etc.

If I were Yuzuru I'd be deeply ashamed of my fans.

VGThuy

I actually agree with the Fanyus on that one...to a certain degree. Not the Koola King or whatever her name is degree nor do I think fans themselves have the best judgment or observation skills. Lots of those analyses are questionable no matter how many screenshots they show. It’s very MAGA and their videos and screenshots alleging voter fraud from voting sites with volunteers counting votes when the videos and stills don’t show anything.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I actually agree with the Fanyus on that one...to a certain degree. Not the Koola King or whatever her name is degree nor do I think fans themselves have the best judgment or observation skills. Lots of those analyses are questionable no matter how many screenshots they show. It’s very MAGA and their videos and screenshots alleging voter fraud from voting sites with volunteers counting votes when the videos and stills don’t show anything.
Can this not be compared to fringe elements of a political movement? There were batshit crazy FS fans long before the 2016 election happened (see Yuna-Bots, and I doubt any of us who were around 20 years ago want to relive the MK-TL fan wars), just like there were batshit crazy political conspiracy theorists long before Trump came on the political scene (see 9-11 or JFK's assassination).

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I can't stand most of the Fanyus on Twitter but that Hersh tweet is missing the point as well. I mean he basically acknowledged the lack of technology in judging, which would potentially lead to unfair scoring.

Of course, this is not to say the fans are better judges through some blurry screencaps, but the current judging leaves a lot to be desired.

mackiecat

When the sit spin controversy happened. They found a screen shot of Nathan doing a combo spin in the long Where he was high on one part of his spin. Never mind the rules for combo spins and spins in one position are different as are the rules from short to freeskate. All one needs to do is read the back page of the technical handbook to see that.
And yes, at normal speed, I called his sit position short on the second side of that spin.

plus what marks/calls that happen at Nations have no bearing on anything outside of the country. So who cares?

exNyer

I can’t wait until Hanyu retires just to get rid of the Fanyus. They are toxic. And let’s be honest, they are only going after Nathan because he has beat Hanyu and is perfectly capable of doing so again.
Agreed if Hanyu uses the media to promote products he can also tell his fans to be respectful of his competitors. He chooses not to say anything. Same applies with YK fanatics viciously attacking Adelina.
Not a peep

Alexa

I can't stand most of the Fanyus on Twitter but that Hersh tweet is missing the point as well. I mean he basically acknowledged the lack of technology in judging, which would potentially lead to unfair scoring.

Of course, this is not to say the fans are better judges through some blurry screencaps, but the current judging leaves a lot to be desired.
I don’t think it is his intention to make excuses for unfair judging. Rather, he attributed some causes of poor judging to the result of 1. technology constraints 2. the short period of the time to deliver the scores vs the the “arm chair“ analysts have the luxury of hours of analyzing a still picture from certain angle. Fanyus rush to criticize him for making excuses, which frame the responses to his original tweets. There was coach/judges acknowledging his tweets in the comment section agreed with his original tweet of lacking in technology. He followed up the original tweets about the time constraints, especially when TV broadcasting was concerned.

Poor judging has been an issue plaguing figure skating. While I don’t think the tone of his original tweet is helpful in helping his message, but what he said are some valid causes of poor judging vs fan*yus attributed the poor judging more to the abuse/pushing of powerful fed like USFS, which hurts Yuzuru’s chance of winning against Nathan, and Shoma during Japan Nationals In the past seasons. What he tweeted should be addressed, but they are not what fan*yus are actually promoting. They are promoting the idea of Yuzuru was intemtinally unfairly underscored vs Nathan and Shoma were intentionally overscored.

While what he tweeted should be addressed by ISU. Better technology, in terms of number of cameras won’t solve fanyu’s resentment against scoring as long as someone has the chance of winning Yuzuru.

To losts of fanyus, he was robbed of 2019 worlds title, 2019 Japan Nationals title when Shoma was alleged not scrutinized enough. To some radical fanyus, he was robbed of 2019 GPF titles because of blatant over scoring of Nathan vs blatant underscoring of Yuzu. One Japanese judge or tech panel was especially singled out when Yuzuru’s spin was invalidated in his SP at Japan Nationals, that particular lady was accused of giving Nathan an easy pass during GPF 2019.

Last edited:

Alexa

When the sit spin controversy happened. They found a screen shot of Nathan doing a combo spin in the long Where he was high on one part of his spin. Never mind the rules for combo spins and spins in one position are different as are the rules from short to freeskate. All one needs to do is read the back page of the technical handbook to see that.
And yes, at normal speed, I called his sit position short on the second side of that spin.

plus what marks/calls that happen at Nations have no bearing on anything outside of the country. So who cares?
Are you talking about nationals or Skate America? Nathan got two “v”s for his spins in the free at Nationals. I think the judging of spins are not lenient, which is good for skaters.

My impression was they were mad about the backxel, which they coined for the 3A skid techniques

mackiecat

Are you talking about nationals or Skate America? Nathan got two “v”s for his spins in the free at Nationals. I think the judging of spins are not lenient, which is good for skaters.

My impression was they were mad about the backxel, which they coined for the 3A skid techniques
At Japan nationals, Hanyu received a no level for his sit/sit in the short ( he didn’t do 2 consecutive revs in a sit position.). The fans dug up a combo spin from Nathan’s long last year ( yellow shirt) where he wasn’t down on his sit to show how unfair it was

mackiecat

I went back and watched the full spin. 2020 us national. Last spin of his program. Who ever did the clip in the tweet cut off the beginning of the spin. He does fly entry camel/camel side/jump/sit (which is for 2) /non-basic/upright straight

camel side might be not long enough but does not need it for a 4

Alexa

Here is the tweet. They only show 2 positions in the combo. https://twitter.com/linda156713/status/1343443475530985472?s=21
I remembered this. I have no problems with invalidating Nathan‘s spin, which would remind him to spend more time and efforts on spins. The backxel and under rotations were basically twisting.

Since we are on GPF 2019 and Japan Nationals, here are tweets from Fanyus about Mami Maeda, who happened to one of judges for 2019 GPF. See who they accused the favors for.

Alexa

I went back and watched the full spin. 2020 us national. Last spin of his program. Who ever did the clip in the tweet cut off the beginning of the spin. He does fly entry camel/camel side/jump/sit (which is for 2) /non-basic/upright straight

That is what most of these comparison videos were about, often times they cut off something or emphasize some angles while picking a best jump or element Yuzu delivered in a different competition

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don’t think it is his intention to make excuses for unfair judging. Rather, he attributed some causes of poor judging to the result of 1. technology constraints 2. the short period of the time to deliver the scores vs the the “arm chair“ analysts have the luxury of hours of analyzing a still picture from certain angle.
I don't think he's saying that at all. I got no impression that he thinks these fans are making good and accurate judgments.

Who ever did the clip in the tweet cut off the beginning of the spin.
And that's what they do. Which is why their judgments are flawed and why Hersh was rolling his eyes at them (figuratively)

lauravvv

Agreed if Hanyu uses the media to promote products he can also tell his fans to be respectful of his competitors. He chooses not to say anything. Same applies with YK fanatics viciously attacking Adelina.
Not a peep
Hanyu is not on Twitter or Instagram. And neither is he on other social media. I don't think he has read any of these hateful messages about Nathan Chen. It doesn't mean he hasn't heard or read anything about that, but it's a possibility. In any case, he may not be aware about the extent of it.

VGThuy

Here is the tweet. They only show 2 positions in the combo. https://twitter.com/linda156713/status/1343443475530985472?s=21

I remembered this. I have no problems with invalidating Nathan‘s spin, which would remind him to spend more time and efforts on spins. The backxel and under rotations were basically twisting.

Since we are on GPF 2019 and Japan Nationals, here are tweets from Fanyus about Mami Maeda, who happened to one of judges for 2019 GPF. See who they accused the favors for.

I don't think he's saying that at all. I got no impression that he thinks these fans are making good and accurate judgments.

And that's what they do. Which is why their judgments are flawed and why Hersh was rolling his eyes at them (figuratively)
And that’s my main issue with so many of those fan clips. They are heavily edited, and there’s so much editorializing directing the viewer to see things that may not actually be what is shown on video that it loses credibility.

Can this not be compared to fringe elements of a political movement? There were batshit crazy FS fans long before the 2016 election happened (see Yuna-Bots, and I doubt any of us who were around 20 years ago want to relive the MK-TL fan wars), just like there were batshit crazy political conspiracy theorists long before Trump came on the political scene (see 9-11 or JFK's assassination).

Why not? The shoe fits. It’s exactly like what you’d see from Project Veritas or the conspiracy theorists you yourself cited coming from 9/11 denialists or JFK conspiracies. I’ll add flat earther videos as well.

puglover

My experience is certainly not vast but what I have encountered with Japanese fans of YH has been very positive. Although they certainly hung on and recorded his every move - even in practices, they were respectful to other competitors and held up country flags/ cheered for other skaters. Sadly, it does not take too many extremists to give any group of passionate supporters a bad name. I am wondering if other fans call out these very negative and hurtful comments as not being representative of the skater or the majority of his supporters?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Why not? The shoe fits. It’s exactly like what you’d see from Project Veritas or the conspiracy theorists you yourself cited coming from 9/11 denialists or JFK conspiracies. I’ll add flat earther videos as well.
Why does it all have to come back to Trump? Why not just say "conspiracy theorists" in general?

Alexa

Hanyu is not on Twitter or Instagram. And neither is he on other social media. I don't think he has read any of these hateful messages about Nathan Chen. It doesn't mean he hasn't heard or read anything about that, but it's a possibility. In any case, he may not be aware about the extent of it.
Hanyu said he had watched Land of All on YouTube 100 times, contributing to the views count of the video. Unless he doesn’t have the habit of comments, otherwise would be hard not to come across any hate comments in the comment section From some Fanyus. That is another annoying thing about radical Fanyus, they are obsessed with Nathan to the extent of watching fan videos from ice shows, and left negative comments everywhere

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information