As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

Susan1

I wrote to the Ask a Librarian page because all my books' due dates were extended to May 12. I asked about the book drop and the library reopening. Here is the reply I got back.

"The dates will likely be extended on Monday. I know that we are working on a plan to resume services at some level, but we do not have a date yet. Please keep an eye on our website for any updates."

ryanj07

Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella had its moments but was just okay overall. I used to love her books and maybe I'm just getting older but I'm so tired of the clueless and silly routine she does with all of her main characters. I gave up her shopaholic series years ago and now I may have just outgrown her books altogether. I do feel better that she's on my "library only" list now instead of buying.

Anne Tyler's Dinner at The Homesick Restaurant was wonderful! It is one of my very favorites of hers so far that I've read. It was in typical Anne Tyler style so if you love lots of action and a fast paced plot, it’s not for you, but it was an amazing character driven book.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I read my last library book (don't worry, I have plenty of non-library books :p) last night. It's set in the Walking Dead universe and it's called Typhoon, and takes place in China. I actually really liked it (better than the series; for the most part, no one did anything totally stupid). I guess the one thing that irked me was that a major plot point turned on one character keeping a secret that caused the other character to get the wrong impression, thus leading to death and destruction for many. But overall, pretty good.

But, uh, it is typical Walking Dead. Two characters I loved died. Naturally.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I finished O Pioneers! by Willa Cather, and I highly recommend. Just beautiful. The way she writes about the land, the people, and their relationships with each other was stunning. And it's easy to access for free on gutenberg.org.

I just read Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata, and I loved the blunt prose it is written in. The book itself won a few awards, gained great reviews both in Japan and Western media, and was a huge bestseller in Japan.

It's about this "abnormal" thirty-six year old Japanese woman who works part-time as a convenience store worker who does not know how to function as a "normal" person. Her thoughts and observations about other people and life are incredibly insightful and hilarious. Sometimes veering towards psychopathic. . .

I liked this book, too. Very different, but sometimes amusing and definitely thought provoking. The ending felt abrubt; reminded me of A Doll's House, where there's this tremendous defining moment and that's it, the end.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Anne Tyler's Dinner at The Homesick Restaurant was wonderful! It is one of my very favorites of hers so far that I've read. It was in typical Anne Tyler style so if you love lots of action and a fast paced plot, it’s not for you, but it was an amazing character driven book.

I've been thinking about reading this so thank you for the recommendation. I've never read any of her books, but the cover of this one with the cherry pie looks very inviting!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
That one's been on my shelf for years. Everyone I know who's read it has recommended it...I just haven't gotten to it yet :shuffle:

Erin

Banned Member
I really enjoyed Not Our Kind by Kitty Zeldis. It’s set in post WW2 NYC and begins with a Jewish school teacher and an upper class socialite meeting after a car accident. They go from strangers to employee/employer and forge a somewhat friendship that is constantly held back by their different social class and religion. It was very strong but I wasn’t a fan of the somewhat open ending.

Also finished One Day by David Nicholls and I can’t believe I haven’t read this before now! It starts in 1988 the night of Emma and Dexter’s university graduation and continues to check in on their life each July 15th for the next twenty years. Some years they are together, some they correspond and others they are apart and barely speaking but they’re always thinking of the other. I LOVED it and it’s going on my favorites list but it’s one of those that you’ll either love or hate, not much room for middle ground. It was the first book to make me cry since Kristin Hannah’s Firefly Lane. I found the movie starring Anne Hathaway on Netflix and it’s on my to watch list!

I read both of these over the past few days. I thought Not Our Kind was great - it was the first book I couldn't put down in a couple of months, and it was nice to have something that was so easy to read and not a chore. Because of the setting, it reminded me a bit of Modern Girls, which focused on a Jewish family in NYC before WWII, but I thought Not Our Kind was much stronger...better characters, less stilted writing. I also liked that the characters often behaved in ways that were unpredictable, but still keeping with their characters. I do somewhat agree with you on the open ending, but I don't think it really took away from the book that much.

Re One Day, I neither loved nor hated it, so I guess there is middle ground :) I liked the idea behind it and the structure. My problem with it is that Emma and especially Dexter are unlikeable for large parts of the book. So it made it kind of hard to care about what happens to them. Or to understand their friendship.

Other books I've read - Mobituaries by Mo Rocca was a fun diversion. The loose theme is obituaries of lesser known people. If I can retain any of the information, I will hopefully have learned some things useful for pub trivia. Some sections of it were more interesting than others. I've also been reading Boycott by Tom and Jerry Caraccioli, about the 1980 Olympic boycott. Parts of it are really interesting, particularly the more detailed background about how the boycott came about and how much support there was for it. It includes a lot of personal stories of the US 1980 Olympians in it, some of which are more engrossing than others. But it's really hard to read right now, given the 2020 Olympic delay. It was probably a poor choice.

ryanj07

I read both of these over the past few days. I thought Not Our Kind was great - it was the first book I couldn't put down in a couple of months, and it was nice to have something that was so easy to read and not a chore. Because of the setting, it reminded me a bit of Modern Girls, which focused on a Jewish family in NYC before WWII, but I thought Not Our Kind was much stronger...better characters, less stilted writing. I also liked that the characters often behaved in ways that were unpredictable, but still keeping with their characters. I do somewhat agree with you on the open ending, but I don't think it really took away from the book that much.

Re One Day, I neither loved nor hated it, so I guess there is middle ground :) I liked the idea behind it and the structure. My problem with it is that Emma and especially Dexter are unlikeable for large parts of the book. So it made it kind of hard to care about what happens to them. Or to understand their friendship.

Glad that you enjoyed Not Our Kind! I agree that the ending didn't really affect the quality of the book, I just like knowing how things end up! I had the same problem with Little Fires Everywhere. Overall though, I thought both were great.

You might like Jill Santopolo's The Light We Lost since it is similar to One Day with more likable characters (maybe don't trust my opinion of likable though as I loved Emma and Dexter :p).

Susan1

Today - All Library-sponsored programs, as well as outside use of our rooms/spaces, have been canceled until at least May 18, 2020. Naturally, we will make adjustments as we are able, and/or the spread of the virus requires different decisions. This date will be adjusted as the situation evolves.

And I retyped this banner -
SAFE Restoration of Services You may now place items on hold. We anticipate curbside pickup service will begin in early June.

What about returning books? I had Tim check my due dates when the date was the 12th. They were extended till June 1.

I went past the library on the way back from getting the computer to see if they had a sign outside. As I was driving by, a woman holding books got out of her car parked along the curb. Nope. It's just still on the book drop that you have to go in the lobby to read. They could tape it to the outside window like they do before it will be closed for a holiday.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I think a few of us read Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone awhile back, and her next book False Step wasn't bad. Just finished the sequel to Jane Doe - Problem Child - and enjoyed it quite a bit. If you liked Jane Doe, definitely recommend this follow up.

Also helped me get past one of the best and most moving books I've read in a long time - The River by Peter Heller. It's a lot of things - adventure story, suspense story, fishing and camping tale, but mostly, for me a least, an incredible character study. Beautiful prose, I read slowly just to savour it. I finished it a week ago, and still can't stop thinking about it.

Erin

Banned Member
Glad that you enjoyed Not Our Kind! I agree that the ending didn't really affect the quality of the book, I just like knowing how things end up! I had the same problem with Little Fires Everywhere. Overall though, I thought both were great.

You might like Jill Santopolo's The Light We Lost since it is similar to One Day with more likable characters (maybe don't trust my opinion of likable though as I loved Emma and Dexter :p).

:lol: I did read The Light We Lost a while ago and had a similar problem connecting to those characters, at least to Gabe.

And I totally agree about Little Fires Everywhere - the open ending was my biggest complaint about that book. I'm like you, in that I like to have things resolved, but I feel like in Not Our Kind, I know how all the important things end up and the stuff that is left open is less important.

I think a few of us read Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone awhile back, and her next book False Step wasn't bad. Just finished the sequel to Jane Doe - Problem Child - and enjoyed it quite a bit. If you liked Jane Doe, definitely recommend this follow up.

Ooh, definitely will have to get Problem Child. I didn't really care for False Step, but I really liked the character of Jane, so I've been waiting for this one.

Susan1

I held off as long as I could. I just reserved three books that won't be ready for pick-up till June. The one that landed in the four hours between the time I checked out my holds and the time the library closed says "shipped 71 days ago". Geez.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Last night I finished Team of Vipers by Cliff Sims. It's about the Trump White House, but Sims is totally on board the Trump Train. However, even with that, he's very aware of Trump's faults and isn't afraid to talk about them. That being said, the person who comes off looking the worst is General Kelly. Sarah Sanders is given somewhat sympathetic treatment (Sims alleges she hated lying for Trump), Hope Hicks comes off well, and Sean Spicer comes off as just totally in over his head (probably true). Kellyanne Conway is depicted as playing both sides (I've always sort of suspected this).

What Sims is very good at is talking about how easy it is to get sucked into power plays and doing anything you can to stay in the loop (and he admits he participated in this as well). Interesting read from a different perspective.

puglover

The latest Michael Connelly book - "Fair Warning" was released this week. It is not a Bosch or Haller novel but a Jack McEvoy novel - the newspaper reporter series.

Jenny

From the Bloc
The last thing I want to do is read about Trump right now, but to each their own :)

I've been doing a book a weekend now, happy to be reading again as it was hard to focus at first. This time was another NY Times Book Review recommendation - The Apartment by Teddy Wayne. It's about the relationship between two Columbia grad students, and interesting in that it's a book about people who are writing, sort of stories within stories and while it's not really about this, it's an interesting device as the workshop criticism and interactions between characters sort of overlap with the story itself. There's a strong plot, but it's mostly a character study, which is something I quite enjoy. Recommended if you enjoy that too :)

As an aside, it takes place in 1996/97, yet another author choosing to set their story before cell phones and social media and the internet - these guys save their writing to floppy disks and have to make stacks of photocopies to share with the class.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I've been bored so I'm rereading the JD Robb Eve Dallas series (yes, I have all of them) again. I can skip through the more boring books or the ones she just recycled previous plots, and finish a book a day.The first book was written in 1994. Reading 26 years worth of books in a compressed time really illustrates how much changed over the time frame. 911 and homeland security, cell phones, texting, social media, smoking, lots of other cultural issues. The time frame for the series is a little over 3 years which makes it even more interesting. There are sudden demarcations of social and cultural change that the characters just start doing or referring to. It would make an interesting thesis topic for some sociology or cultural anthropology student.

Susan1

The latest Michael Connelly book - "Fair Warning" was released this week. It is not a Bosch or Haller novel but a Jack McEvoy novel - the newspaper reporter series.
I'll put that on my list for the far future. My book due dates have been extended to June 30. :wuzrobbed I only have 3-3/4 books and one is a cozy mystery - couple hours read.
c
The one that was at the library after I picked mine up shows "shipped 77 days ago". Of the three books I reserved when they said we could (last week?, I have no sense of time anymore) two are pending, one says shipped. That one said found or located or something a couple days ago, so they must be doing something. Will I get to pick those up before June 30? And one I reserved on March 11 still says pending.

I read my old In the Midnight Hour last weekend. I completely forgot the story, which was good. I still have The Next Accident by Lisa Gardner that I got at the Goodwill store ages ago. It got me to start getting all of her books from the library.

I wonder if I will have to check out books to read on this laptop soon? I think I can plug it in behind my reading "nest" and put it on a pillow. I already rest books on a pillow. The library site says it has Overdrive. Do I just download that? It has instructions on the website on how to check out and return books. I know they won't have everything I want, but I do see a lot of designations for ebook when I am looking for things to reserve, especially old ones that I can't reserve the actual book anymore and have to get them interlibrary. Do I have to use the touchpad, or can I use arrows? I'll have to unattach my retractable cord mouse. Will it have to be reinstalled when I move back to use the computer?

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Weren't those books supposed to take place in the future?
Yes, and while there are some "futeristic" elements, there's a lot that's missing. Computers are still clunky desk tops at the start of the series, no texting, smoking by some characters, just a lot of small things that abruptly (in Dallasverse) change over the course of the publications. You don't pick up on them unless you reread the earlier books in the series. Technology or cultural changes are the type of things that really date books. This is one of the reasons JK Rowling purposely did not include a lot of cultural icons in Potterverse. One of the few is Dudley's VCR and computers in the first two books. Which is ironic as HP is a cultural icon of the 90s early 2000s itself.

Susan1

Stupid me - I see how to check out and return and hold and stuff. When I am reading an ebook, what happens if I go to the bathroom or eat or go to bed, etc. Can't just stick a bookmark in it and come back tomorrow. Can I save it where I was? Do you have to sign in to the library or overdrive or whatever every time I go to the bathroom? Will it just stay in my computer when I am using it for other things or if I turn it off? (I can't even get my email to stay logged in after I leave yahoo (yes, I tell it to stay logged in for 2 weeks) or close the lid.) Do books take up a lot of room? I'm thinking I won't have to get more than one at a time anyway since I can just go get another one the next day. Answerers - please be kind!

Susan1

Stupid me - I see how to check out and return and hold and stuff. When I am reading an ebook, what happens if I go to the bathroom or eat or go to bed, etc. Can't just stick a bookmark in it and come back tomorrow. Can I save it where I was? Do you have to sign in to the library or overdrive or whatever every time I go to the bathroom? Will it just stay in my computer when I am using it for other things or if I turn it off? (I can't even get my email to stay logged in after I leave yahoo (yes, I tell it to stay logged in for 2 weeks) or close the lid.) Do books take up a lot of room? I'm thinking I won't have to get more than one at a time anyway since I can just go get another one the next day. Answerers - please be kind!
p.s. I just found the Connelly book, The Scarecrow, on the library site. Three actual books (one is a large print) and an ebook. I don't even remember if I read any Jack McEvoy books. I'll have to check my list on my computer.

Susan1

p.s. I just found the Connelly book, The Scarecrow, on the library site. Three actual books (one is a large print) and an ebook. I don't even remember if I read any Jack McEvoy books. I'll have to check my list on my computer.
Another p.s. I'm not going to be able to put the laptop on a pillow. The fan is on the bottom and it has to be on a flat solid surface. "laptop" - ha.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member

Typically, you have to download some software to read an eBook from the library. I use Libby, which I think is standard throughout this area.

Once you have the software, you download an ebook using the software and the software keeps track of where you are in the book. You can walk away to go to the bathroom or eat or whatever and leave the application open; nothing will happen. If you close the app and/or shut off your computer for the night, Libby will remember where you were and go right to that page. If you stop reading a book for some reason and return it, and then check it out again later, Libby will often remember where you left off then, too, even if it's been a few weeks.

Text doesn't take up much room at all; you can store thousands on books on most computers without any trouble at all. But images and media take up a lot of room. That won't be a problem unless you are, say, looking at a book of photography, but a regular book takes up only a tiny bit of space.

Another p.s. I'm not going to be able to put the laptop on a pillow. The fan is on the bottom and it has to be on a flat solid surface. "laptop" - ha.

I had that problem and got a cooling pad for mine for just that reason.

Susan1

Typically, you have to download some software to read an eBook from the library. I use Libby, which I think is standard throughout this area.

Once you have the software, you download an ebook using the software and the software keeps track of where you are in the book. You can walk away to go to the bathroom or eat or whatever and leave the application open; nothing will happen. If you close the app and/or shut off your computer for the night, Libby will remember where you were and go right to that page. If you stop reading a book for some reason and return it, and then check it out again later, Libby will often remember where you left off then, too, even if it's been a few weeks.

Text doesn't take up much room at all; you can store thousands on books on most computers without any trouble at all. But images and media take up a lot of room. That won't be a problem unless you are, say, looking at a book of photography, but a regular book takes up only a tiny bit of space.

Well, it's after midnight. I had a cortisone shot at 11:30 this morning and I even took a tylenol 3 at 10 p.m (sinus infection - not the other thing <got into my doctor 3 hours after I called!) and I can't sleep. It hurts to lie on either side of my head.

Thank you. Great post. I see the Libby thing on the library website for education programs. I didn't know. It said if you don't want to sign up with Libby or something, you can use Overdrive, so that is what I looked up instructions for. How are they different?

How much is a cooling pad? That reminds me, would the laptop be hot to have that close in the summer. I'm thinking anyway, that it will be too hard for me to have the keyboard in the way and the monitor so far away. I'd be adjusting it all the time. I recline with pillows behind me and under my elbows already. I hope I don't have to use it for reading.

Sidebar without looking for the computer help thread.....- I am trying to find a full size wireless keyboard. If I sit up on pillows to type, I have to lean down to see the screen. My jaw and neck are cracking. And I think being so close to the screen is what is making me nauseous. It goes away if I am not in here for awhile. And if I sit normally in the chair even with the screen, it hurts my wrists. I have trouble with the c, v and b and space bar. My swollen wrist doesn't want to bend that way. And I have to get an adapter for my monitor. I have the laptop propped up on little local phone books just on the sides away from the fan to get a better angle. Freestanding keyboards have feet in the back for a reason. Oh, do wireless ones have feet? I could use the phone books since there won't be a fan. I just need the laptop for the "guts".

Does anybody remember ergonomics? I could be the poster child. Feet on the floor (actually i have a square of one of those spongy egg crate things (pink) that was on the couch from when I had my broken leg on the floor under the desk)- but I do cross my legs all the time or put my feet up on the roller legs; keyboard at bent elbows with feet, monitor straight ahead. I have to be comfortable, with all my other problems. Cross your fingers we get another stimulus check.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Thank you. Great post. I see the Libby thing on the library website for education programs. I didn't know. It said if you don't want to sign up with Libby or something, you can use Overdrive, so that is what I looked up instructions for. How are they different?

They really aren't, as Libby is an Overdrive product. It's just a newer, better version of Overdrive. Overdrive is rather clunky, but it works fine and will do the same basic things that Libby does. I had Overdrive for years before I switched.

Here's some info on the difference: http://wccls.libanswers.com/econtent/faq/177424

Here's a link to Libby: https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libb...bby&utm_content=libby_tout_learnmore_06019018

I have accounts with Greene County, Dayton Metro, State of Ohio, Ohio Digital Library, Wright Memorial in Oakwood, and Digital Downloads, all through Libby. I have books coming and going all the time.

How much is a cooling pad?

I think you can get a really cheap one for around $30 and they go up from there. It's basically a thin pad with fans inside that you put under your laptop to keep it from overheating.

For reading in bed, I MUCH prefer my tablet. I found the laptop really annoying--it was too confining and I couldn't move around. But I needed the cooling pad for when I was working, so it worked out well anyway.

Sidebar without looking for the computer help thread.....- I am trying to find a full size wireless keyboard.

I know nothing about this, but I will ask my husband what he recommends. He's both a computer programmer and the guy in charge of ergomics in his office.[/QUOTE]

Susan1

Can't stop thinking. (Years ago, when I was tapering pred, and I never even took more than 40 the first couple days, I ironed all my summer clothes till 1 a.m. one Friday night. And when Sadie was taking it for a skin problem - 10 at first, I woke up in the middle of the night and and she was standing on the bed staring at me. Funny. I've had Celestone shots in the spring and fall for years - never this wired, especially after the Tylenol 3 that should knock me out. <I am not well. And I don't even have the the thing other people have.)

They really aren't, as Libby is an Overdrive product. It's just a newer, better version of Overdrive. Overdrive is rather clunky, but it works fine and will do the same basic things that Libby does. I had Overdrive for years before I switched.
Got out of bed (can't turn my brain off) to come on here to say - it's Lynda that is the educational thing on the library website. Der! I'll read your Libby and Overdrive comparison tomorrow.
I know nothing about this, but I will ask my husband what he recommends. He's both a computer programmer and the guy in charge of ergomics in his office.
"Ergonomics" HA :) Sorry.

Here's what I looked up earlier. I would have to touch them though. And I love this little mouse. It was cheap so it probably won't last long, but knowing me, i would lose a mouse that wasn't attached.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Straight Full Size Keyboard, Black, Ambidextrous Optical Mouse, MK235
$19.99Sold by Office Depot
Keyboard runs on 2 AAA batteries and the mouse runs on one AA battery. Both mouse and keyboard provide up to a year's use before running out of battery.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo
LogitechModel: 920-008971 Walmart # 571358927
Average rating:4.5out of5stars, based on768reviews
$19.98 not available in stores
They both have full size arrow buttons. This thing has tiny arrow buttons. I think I am hitting the Up and it's the Shift key. I'll do it 3-4 times to go up the page without looking and it yells at me.

I think you can get a really cheap one for around $30 and they go up from there. It's basically a thin pad with fans inside that you put under your laptop to keep it from overheating.
Wonder if I could put it on my lap when I am having night sweats. Ha ha . I need to sleep! Good night I hope.)

Glad I was awake. There was a slight chance of rain tonight. And there it is. I only have the bedroom window open a little. Now I can close it.

Last edited:

Susan1

More ergonomics - "A laptop cooler can definitely help on that front. There are also some ergonomic benefits to be gained from raising up your laptop display, and cooling pads with adjustable height and angle can actually improve posture and reduce neck paint getting your laptop screen up off the desk and closer to eye level."

For reading in bed, I MUCH prefer my tablet.
I haven't been able to read in bed for years. I have to have pillows behind me and under my elbows and on my lap. I have restless legs and can't keep them straight out. And I have to have a light over my right shoulder.
it will be too hard for me to have the keyboard in the way and the monitor so far away
I think I can plug it in behind my reading "nest" and put it on a pillow.
I tried this. I can't do it. The thing that plugs into the plug has to go over the back of the loveseat to the plug and it keeps pulling it down. And the keyboard does get in the way. When I read, the book is on a pillow on my stomach. Now the keyboard would be on my stomach and I can't hold on to the monitor part. I would have thought about getting a tablet for reading while the library is closed if the computer wouldn't have died. Plus the light hurts my bad eyes. If I turn the floor lap on behind my head, I just get the lamp glare on the screen. Rats. There have been two Mary Daheim Alpine books after "Z" that are ebooks only.

Susan1

It said if you don't want to sign up with Libby or something, you can use Overdrive, so that is what I looked up instructions for.
Still thinking........ right on the instruction page -
Find and open your library or school's digital collection using one of the following:
Not that I'm going to be able to use them anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information