Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

liv

Andreescu has the game type (like clijsters) that could trouble Serena IF she serves a lot better than she has lately, has fewer errors than she has the last 2 matches, and makes sure she keeps Serena moving. If she can rattle Serena a bit then things could get interesting because we've seen how Serena reacts when things don't go her way. The American crowd will be overwhelmingly on her side, they really want her to win, so Bianca will have a lot to deal with...and there's no better way to learn than by just jumping in and enjoying it (Medvedev seems to have embraced the hate, lol) !! I just hope she doesn't feel the weight of the occasion and we see a good match.

However, I am sure that Serena will win, to the delight of her fans. Once Osaka was out I figured she'd win.

The men: I would love it if we have none of the Big 3 in the final this year. I love Roger and Rafa, but let's make it a toss up and have someone else win, just for a change!!! The semis will be very interesting and I'm so excited to watch the matches!! For some reason I find myself wanting Berrettini to win. I think he's the least expected, of the final 4, to win... and he has to get through Rafa first....

vanillashake

Banned Member
Andreescu has the game type (like clijsters) that could trouble Serena IF she serves a lot better than she has lately, has fewer errors than she has the last 2 matches, and makes sure she keeps Serena moving. If she can rattle Serena a bit then things could get interesting because we've seen how Serena reacts when things don't go her way. The American crowd will be overwhelmingly on her side, they really want her to win, so Bianca will have a lot to deal with...and there's no better way to learn than by just jumping in and enjoying it (Medvedev seems to have embraced the hate, lol) !! I just hope she doesn't feel the weight of the occasion and we see a good match.

However, I am sure that Serena will win, to the delight of her fans. Once Osaka was out I figured she'd win.

The men: I would love it if we have none of the Big 3 in the final this year. I love Roger and Rafa, but let's make it a toss up and have someone else win, just for a change!!! The semis will be very interesting and I'm so excited to watch the matches!! For some reason I find myself wanting Berrettini to win. I think he's the least expected, of the final 4, to win... and he has to get through Rafa first....

The only one left I give an outside shot against Rafa is Dmitrov.

Rafa is just an awful match up for Medvedev which is why I don't say him, although obviously he is probably the favorite over Dmitrov to make the final. And a Medvedev win would be the best result for the mens game probably, even over Nadal getting #19 and inching closer to overtaking Federer as the Open Era GOAT and the hype that surrounds that. Mens tennis badly needs a young slam winner, but I don't see it happening due to the match up of those two.

Berrettina? I would be surprised and I would say crazier things have happened except all the big surprises in tennis seem to be the womens game the last 4-5 years and not the mens. The womens game you say crazier things have happened, the mens game you could say it but it wouldn't really be true, atleast not of late.

vanillashake

Banned Member
Serena was so awful today. At this point I am not sure I want her to even make another slam final, since she ruins them with her horrendous play in everyone at this point. It is clear by now she can't handle the whole #24 pressure and will mug it up everytime she makes the final, she has done it in 4 straight slam finals now in the last 14 months.

liv

:biggrinbo woot! woot!

Yay, Bianca!

What a match... drama filled, the almost come back from Serena with the crowd getting into it like I"ve never seen them do before... just, wow.

the Men: I don't know. Judging by how the match went between Rafa and Medvedev in Montreal you'd think it would be easy for Rafa... but this might be more competitive now. Medvedev could barely hit within the lines in Montreal... here, he's been pretty good...

peibeck

Simply looking
Awful? I think that's rather harsh. Serena's human and is under immense pressure to win. Every. Time.

Since having a baby, this was the best final she's played. :respec:

Andreescu has been one of the most consistent players of the year, and played well this tournament. So congrats to her. I love her agressive play! :encore:

On a catty side, Andreescu's mother gives me total "skater mom" vibes for some reason. :shuffle:

peibeck

Simply looking
She definitely isn't. I am Canadian and have seen numerous interviews with her. She is a very nice, calm, and rational women despite the appearance. So don't be worried.

Thank you, that's awesome to know. I don't know how she has the composure to sit and watch her daughter play and look so nonchalant. After her daughter's quarterfinal win she was the only person in the box not standing and cheering. I was like... "Huh?" :lol:

eusebius

Thank you, that's awesome to know. I don't know how she has the composure to sit and watch her daughter play and look so nonchalant. After her daughter's quarterfinal win she was the only person in the box not standing and cheering. I was like... "Huh?" :lol:

It seems that Maria taught her daughter meditation and creative visualization, which had a huge effect on Bianca's mental strength. I kind of want Maria to do a TED talk on the subject now!

peibeck

Simply looking
I can understand that as that crowd were 90% in favour of Serena. It took guts and determination to push through for the win against the cheering every time she - Bianca - made an error.

Andreescu's mental strength is great. As for the crowd, I'm sure they were pro-Serena and wanted a 3rd set. Isn't that understandable?

I'm sure the crowd tomorrow will be as pro Nadal, who last time I checked wasn't American. :p

vanillashake

Banned Member
I think Andreescu will win atleast 5 slams in her career. I am not going to make crazy predictions beyond that, but she is definitely the makings of a multiple slam challenge. Just too much game, the whole package, the right mindset, and super young.

I am losing faith in Serena ever getting to #24. She can't handle these finals and the #24 thing is too overwhelming. The scary thing is this with a first serve percentage in the 40s and close to 40 errors was probably her best final of the 4 since the chase of 24 started, which speaks to how bad she has been in general in these finals since the #24 chase started. Unless she winds up with a total 100% mug opponent and huge surprise finalist with no pedigree at all, it isn't happening most likely.

DaveRocks

Eh?
What a match!! So excited for Andreescu. I have no idea how her mother can remain so calm. I was peeing my pants during the second set.

Fun little tidbit: Sharon Fichman, Dylan Moscovitch's fiancée, played doubles with Andreescu in this year's US Open (they lost in the first round).

liv

Bianca played well. I think the key was her serve was better than the last match, she hit deep into the court and that's very important because the players who beat Serena are usually those who hit deep and who make her move and/or run. And of course, the ability to zone out the crowd was probably the best asset she had.

For Serena, like the commentators said, it was her first serve that let her down. That is usually her big advantage and when it doesn't work and she plays a heavy hitter, like Bianca, Osaka, Kvitova etc., then she is vulnerable because she can't blow them off the court.

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Thrilled for Bianca!!! :cheer2: 🇨🇦

One moment that stuck out for me in the first set was when she was up a break and had 5 chances to break Serena a second time, but couldn’t capitalize and then was down 0-30 IIRC on her next serve. The match could have turned so easily had she allowed Serena to equalize, but she steadied and held serve.

It wasn’t easy in the second set but she crossed the finish line and that’s huge for a first final. Fingers crossed for the rest of her career! And I do hope Serena gets #24 next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information