Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Soloviev

Bigbird

She does for now. They both are "madly in love". Polunin talks about Elena-ballerina in his interviews, praises her work in "Rasputin", plans to design a ballet just for her. She follows him, attends all his ballet galas and events, and he follows her, they travel all the time, he gives ballet lessons to her Academy students... They do "dancing on the street and ballet poses" where ever they go...
Here is one interview:
rus: "А вообще, у меня на Лену большие планы (смеется). Хочу сделать большой проект на тему Болливуда. Лена хорошо танцует."

eng: "In general, I have big plans for Lena (laughs). I want to create a grand project on the Bollywood theme. Lena is a good dancer (dances well)."

She is in love, and "ballet" comes as a lucrative package deal (not in a pragmatic but rather "artistic" sense).. ;)

Do you know the difference between "attending at the age of 18-20 a good university to have an interesting and financial rewarding career, while skating if and when times allows", and "a 25-year old skater, with no plans for education, switching from her life-long successful career of an ice dancer to ballet-dancer, just because she fell in love with a rather flighty dude with interesting romance history"?

Education, or career..... always come first, "lovers" 2nd..

I sometimes wonder what alternate universe you inhabit and if some spaceship beams you to earth to observe poor earthlings as a hobby.

She is now in Ufa, Russia, training kids for a week, he's in London rehearsing for a new ballet and then a tour in Italy follows and it goes on. They are both working hard on their separate projects but they do work together sometimes. :rolleyes:

Please go read those interviews again for yourself, Polunin does not see her as a ballerina, but simply a figure skater who dances well.:rofl:

There comes a point in the life of an adult when extreme diets, training in a freezer for 8 - 10 hrs daily then performing in barely there costumes for elusive pieces of plastic sometimes just don't seem all that important:40beers:.

Please go hover over her mother she'll be more than glad to inform you she has pursued her education. While she hasn't posted her graduation photos all over instagram she isn't an uneducated country bumpkin:scream:.

LOL.

Tinami Amori

I sometimes wonder what alternate universe you inhabit and if some spaceship beams you to earth to observe poor earthlings as a hobby.

She is now in Ufa, Russia, training kids for a week, he's in London rehearsing for a new ballet and then a tour in Italy follows and it goes on. They are both working hard on their separate projects but they do work together sometimes. :rolleyes:
A universe where there is a lot more info about Ilinykh/Polunin's plans and comments, than in yours.

They do not just "work together sometimes". Ballet "Rasputin" in which she has the main role of "Tzaritza Alexandra" is scheduled for more performances this year, outside of Russia. That's a time commitment, FYI. It requires travel and rehearsal, which would be hard to combine with full-scale ice dance practice.

In another interview Polunin ... he said "Elena now has something more important in her life than figure skating", and guess "what/who" his grand royal self means?.... :D
Q: - Вы как-то обсуждаете возможное возвращение Елены в фигурное катание? Поддерживаете, отговариваете?
P:– Я пытаюсь уловить желания человека.
Q:– Тогда как вы чувствуете: она хочет вернуться?

P– Любой спортсмен хочет сохранять связь со спортом. Мне кажется, Лена тоже хочет. Но много каких-то разных системных факторов, которые влияют. Может быть, у нее сейчас есть что-то более важное в жизни. Но фигурное катание в ней не пройдет, это точно. У танцовщиков то же самое. У нас самое страшное – выход на пенсию.

Q:-Have you at all discuss Elena's possibility to return to figure skating? Are you for it, or against it? (talk her into it/talk her out of it).
P:-I try to get a sense of person's wishes.
Q:-In that case what is your sense: does she want to return (to skating)?
P:-Any athlete wants to keeps the connection to sport. I imagine Elena wants to also. But there are practical factors that affect it. Maybe now there is something more important taking place in her life. But figure skating will not wash out of her (will not parish from within her), to be exact. Dancers also feel the same. The worst is - to be retired.

Elena is certainly not dropping her work at the Academy, it's her guaranteed milk-cow, she is not stupid. But she also stand to chose now between "next few years with Polunin and dance" or "return to ice dance and see Polunin when they both have time".

If she skates with Soloviev, even if she does not make it to high level competitions, their team will be commercially attractive for ice shows for several years. Elena can skate in a show without a partner, but it is less likely for her to get a role, because she can't perform interesting spins and jumps, like many available Ladies who came from "singles".

I hope she chooses ice dance.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
If she skates with Soloviev, even if she does not make it to high level competitions, their team will be commercially attractive for ice shows for several years. Elena can skate in a show without a partner, but it is less likely for her to get a role, because she can't perform interesting spins and jumps, like many available Ladies who came from "singles".

I think she would be fine skating in shows. I wouldn’t worry about her being without a partner, the partner would be found for her. The same way as they found a partner for Soloviev when Bobrova suddenly got pregnant - they approached Ilynikh. I am pretty sure there is some retired ice dancer male who would be available. Maybe one of those past olympians, or maybe someone reasonably successful at junior level but who didn’t make it in seniors and retired. I don’t think the audience would care even if she skated with someone without any proper name because the audience would be there to look at her, not at him.

Tinami Amori

I think she would be fine skating in shows. I wouldn’t worry about her being without a partner, the partner would be found for her. The same way as they found a partner for Soloviev when Bobrova suddenly got pregnant - they approached Ilynikh. I am pretty sure there is some retired ice dancer male who would be available. Maybe one of those past olympians, or maybe someone reasonably successful at junior level but who didn’t make it in seniors and retired. I don’t think the audience would care even if she skated with someone without any proper name because the audience would be there to look at her, not at him.
Ilinykh and Soloviev are just one past Olympics away from when they were Olympic Gold (team) and Bronze (she) medalists. At present they will still be riding the "wave of fame" and it could get her further, than doing it "alone" or years later with some another partner.

Although i would travel far just to see her do Mambo #5 with a "partner".. :lol:

Bigbird

Ilinykh and Soloviev are just one past Olympics away from when they were Olympic Gold (team) and Bronze (she) medalists. At present they will still be riding the "wave of fame" and it could get her further, than doing it "alone" or years later with some another partner.

Although i would travel far just to see her do Mambo #5 with a "partner".. :lol:

Deleted.

Last edited:

Bigbird

A universe where there is a lot more info about Ilinykh/Polunin's plans and comments, than in yours.

They do not just "work together sometimes". Ballet "Rasputin" in which she has the main role of "Tzaritza Alexandra" is scheduled for more performances this year, outside of Russia. That's a time commitment, FYI. It requires travel and rehearsal, which would be hard to combine with full-scale ice dance practice.

In another interview Polunin ... he said "Elena now has something more important in her life than figure skating", and guess "what/who" his grand royal self means?.... :D
Q: - Вы как-то обсуждаете возможное возвращение Елены в фигурное катание? Поддерживаете, отговариваете?
P:– Я пытаюсь уловить желания человека.
Q:– Тогда как вы чувствуете: она хочет вернуться?

P– Любой спортсмен хочет сохранять связь со спортом. Мне кажется, Лена тоже хочет. Но много каких-то разных системных факторов, которые влияют. Может быть, у нее сейчас есть что-то более важное в жизни. Но фигурное катание в ней не пройдет, это точно. У танцовщиков то же самое. У нас самое страшное – выход на пенсию.

Q:-Have you at all discuss Elena's possibility to return to figure skating? Are you for it, or against it? (talk her into it/talk her out of it).
P:-I try to get a sense of person's wishes.
Q:-In that case what is your sense: does she want to return (to skating)?
P:-Any athlete wants to keeps the connection to sport. I imagine Elena wants to also. But there are practical factors that affect it. Maybe now there is something more important taking place in her life. But figure skating will not wash out of her (will not parish from within her), to be exact. Dancers also feel the same. The worst is - to be retired.

Elena is certainly not dropping her work at the Academy, it's her guaranteed milk-cow, she is not stupid. But she also stand to chose now between "next few years with Polunin and dance" or "return to ice dance and see Polunin when they both have time".

Her opportunities for ice dancing will come, give it time. I think it's best to leave people wanting before your expiration date comes. Besides, Soloviev doesn't want to leave Zhulin and Zhulin is not keen on having Ilinykh in his camp. His public comments after Bobrova's retirement will not allow anyone, no matter how dim witted to conclude otherwise (don't hate the shade I cannot help myself) So I think we need to stop pressuring the girl to do something that she honestly does not have the power to do. This is really out of her hands. But onwards and upwards to new adventures :).

mjb52

I was not as into skating during the 2010's until this last Olympics pulled me back in - remind me, I/K were with Morozov at the time of the break-up I believe. When he joined with Sinitsina, they went to Zueva right away? And Ilinykh/Zhiganshin worked with Kustarova? It's so interesting to me that Zhulin seems so loyal to Katsalapov, in my own impression from the recent interviews.

Last edited:

Dobre

Hi @Michalle. I'm sure someone will add to my answers if they are incomplete.

I was not as into skating during the 2010's until this last Olympics pulled me back in - remind me, I/K were with Morozov at the time of the break-up I believe. When he joined with Sinitsina, did they go to Zueva right away or did they go somewhere else first?

Zoueva
(At least that is all I ever heard. They were with her by Skate America).

And who did Ilinykh/Zhiganshin work with?

Kustarova (and briefly for one summer with Shpilband)

I'm just curious about why Zhulin seems so loyal to Katsalapov, in my own impression from the recent interviews.

Zhulin is as much a politician in his interviews as Shpilband. (My memory is that during one of his early interviews he said that he had told Nikita this was a one-more-strike-and-you're-out kind of arrangement. Not in those exact words, but essentially).

hanca

Values her privacy
Zhulin is as much a politician in his interviews as Shpilband. (My memory is that during one of his early interviews he said that he had told Nikita this was a one-more-strike-and-you're-out kind of arrangement. Not in those exact words, but essentially).
Zhulin compared to a politician? Hahaha. That’s a joke. Zhulin had been complaining Ilynikh and Katsalapov for at least three years after they left him in 2011. Talk about holding grudges! In fact, he only stopped badmouthing them publicly after Katsalapov approached him with Sinitsina. I am sure if Ilynikh asked him to help, she would help because it feels good when someone needs him, but until then he will hold the grudge against her because she and Katsalapov left him eight years ago. How dare they! I don’t think this is quite the behaviour of a politician he was compared to.

Tinami Amori

This is what he said privately to Soloviev. In all his interviews he is dismissive of them as a pair.
Don't push yourself into a corner any further..

Zhulin already worked with Ilinykh/Soloviev on their show programmes for past Winter Holidays. Some of the shows were with Navka and Chernyshev with her choreography, but "corrected in places" by Zhulin (there was a "choreo issue" at one point, but very minor).

Zhulin put I/S on "separate ice" (could mean ice time) from S/K. And said so in an interview, that he is working with them, but making sure there is no possibility for tension.

"- Бывшая партнерша Кацалапова Елена Ильиных тренируется у вас на катке в паре с вашим танцором Дмитрием Соловьевым. Это не вносит дискомфорт в вашу работу с основным дуэтом?
- Лена с Димой и Никита с Викой катаются на разных льдах. Это сделано специально, более того, заранее обговаривалось с Димой."

" - (you now have) former partner of Katzalapov, Elena Ilinykh, training with you at your rink in a pair with your dancer, Dmitry Soloviev. Does this bring an element of discomfort into your work with your main duet (dance team)?
- Lena with Dima, and Nikita with Viktoria are training on different ice (could mean "different ice time"), arranged so intentionally, and further more, was arranged in advance with Dima."

(some vids with Elena/Dmitry skating in shows, pretty sure these were not yet posted)
Navka training them for "Scarlet Flower"
show "Cindirella"

Zhulin has lost the momentum choreographing for "Ice Age" and other shows, and now wants to return to "being in high demand" as a choreographer. One top team (S/K) is not much to rely on. He would gladly work with I/S, given proper time allocation in regards to S/K. Zhulin recently put together a good coaching team and wants to expand back into competitive circuit.

Bigbird

Don't push yourself into a corner any further..

Zhulin already worked with Ilinykh/Soloviev on their show programmes for past Winter Holidays. Some of the shows were with Navka and Chernyshev with her choreography, but "corrected in places" by Zhulin (there was a "choreo issue" at one point, but very minor).

Zhulin put I/S on "separate ice" (could mean ice time) from S/K. And said so in an interview, that he is working with them, but making sure there is no possibility for tension.

"- Бывшая партнерша Кацалапова Елена Ильиных тренируется у вас на катке в паре с вашим танцором Дмитрием Соловьевым. Это не вносит дискомфорт в вашу работу с основным дуэтом?
- Лена с Димой и Никита с Викой катаются на разных льдах. Это сделано специально, более того, заранее обговаривалось с Димой."

" - (you now have) former partner of Katzalapov, Elena Ilinykh, training with you at your rink in a pair with your dancer, Dmitry Soloviev. Does this bring an element of discomfort into your work with your main duet (dance team)?
- Lena with Dima, and Nikita with Viktoria are training on different ice (could mean "different ice time"), arranged so intentionally, and further more, was arranged in advance with Dima."

(some vids with Elena/Dmitry skating in shows, pretty sure these were not yet posted)
Navka training them for "Scarlet Flower"
show "Cindirella"

Zhulin has lost the momentum choreographing for "Ice Age" and other shows, and now wants to return to "being in high demand" as a choreographer. One top team (S/K) is not much to rely on. He would gladly work with I/S, given proper time allocation in regards to S/K. Zhulin recently put together a good coaching team and wants to expand back into competitive circuit.

Okay. I hope he choreographs for them as professionals, because I really like them together. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information