2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Tinami Amori

I want someone to skate to Phantom of the Paradise, one of the rare musicals I like. With songs like Special to me , Phantom's theme or Faust I would love for my favs P/C to pull it off but alas I don't see anyone in MDF camp thinking of this.
I realize that "POTP" was aiming to become a "cult movie", next to "Rocky Horror", and it is not a bad film, but none of its music "stuck around", and for a good reason (imo) which is "nice, but nothing outstanding". "Special to me", and "Faust" are fairly typical ballad melodies of the late 70's, and Phantom's theme (again, imo) is a "poor version" of Allan Parson's Project "Some Other Time" which is again imo, is much more melodic and better suited for skating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVVzZIBBOAU

If anything, this maybe interesting for a show-number but to veeeery limited crowd of certain age group and artistic interests, i am sure... ;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLuj4EwH3o0

VGThuy

I have a feeling that after the dirge we got last season with countless To Build a Shirt clones and seeing the reaction to Fear/Gibson and other more upbeat dances, more ice dance teams will try to have a "fun" FD this year.

Judging from that Instagram post, I bet S/F's FD will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSCWgZQf_g

coppertop1

I have a feeling that after the dirge we got last season with countless To Build a Shirt clones and seeing the reaction to Fear/Gibson and other more upbeat dances, more ice dance teams will try to have a "fun" FD this year.

Judging from that Instagram post, I bet S/F's FD will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSCWgZQf_g

I remember in 2000-01, almost all ice dancers were doing dramatic free dances, so the next season the ISU requested more variety in Ice Dance.

Colonel Green

For these two specifically I'd say they want to recapture the vibe of their "I Won't Dance" FD from two seasons ago, given that they had a lot of success with that program (the first time around; bringing it back for nationals at the last minute didn't go so well).

Rock2

I LOVE the choice for Soucisse/Firus.
Mind you just the other day I watched the Will and Grace ep with Karen dancing to it, so the idea already had some momentum with me.

Rock2

Don’t understand the hate for “Shallow” and “A Star Is Born”. :drama:

It's an awesome pop song with a legit chance at a short shelf life.
Will have no bearing on scores, but the entertainment value of this program may dissipate by nationals, if not sooner.

VGThuy

G/F's Schindler's List seemed so derived from Ilinykh/Katsalapov's 2010 Junior Worlds winning FD. I mean Charlene didn't dress like a concentration camp prisoner and Marco did not dress like a Nazi but the rags and smudges of dirt and her head scarf gave a similar feel.

Dobre

Schindler's List was Guignard & Fabbri's breakthrough program. They defeated Stepanova & Bukin, Monko & Khaliavin, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen, and Paul & Islam (all previous top-ten/eleven teams) with that program. It got G&F into the top ten, and that is where they finished at the Olympics and where they remain today (a couple notches higher). That FD wasn't as polished as what they have presented this season by a long shot. But it is the program that got them in the picture.

That said it wasn't the first (Zaretskis) or the second (Ilinykh & Katsalapov) or the third (Lewis & Bye) Schindler's list free dance I remember (I'd assume there are others that haven't stayed with me or missed my radar all together). Nor shall it be the last.

VGThuy

Schindler's List was Guignard & Fabbri's breakthrough program. They defeated Stepanova & Bukin, Monko & Khaliavin, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen, and Paul & Islam (all previous top-ten teams) with that program. It got G&F into the top ten, and that is where they finished at the Olympics and where they remain today (a couple notches higher). That FD wasn't as polished as what they have presented this season by a long shot. But it is the program that got them in the picture.

That said it wasn't the first (Zaretskis) or the second (Ilinykh & Katsalapov) or the third (Lewis & Bye) Schindler's list free dance I remember (I'd assume there are others that haven't stayed with me or missed my radar all together). Nor shall it be the last.

G/F first came into my radar at the 2014 Olympics (I hadn't been following ice dance or figure skating that closely from 2012-2013) and I remember being really impressed with them. I actually started wondering if they had potential to be better than C/L. The 2015-2016 season with that program despite how it may have been packaged was definitely a breakout program for them like you said. By 2018, I truly thought G/F were technically better than C/L and I was so happy to see them have the success that they enjoyed this season despite Worlds being a disappointment for me with regard to their rankings.

magda_lena

Schindler's List was Guignard & Fabbri's breakthrough program. They defeated Stepanova & Bukin, Monko & Khaliavin, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen, and Paul & Islam (all previous top-ten/eleven teams) with that program. It got G&F into the top ten, and that is where they finished at the Olympics and where they remain today (a couple notches higher). That FD wasn't as polished as what they have presented this season by a long shot. But it is the program that got them in the picture.

The first Schindler's List program in ice dance that I remember was performed by Sophie Moniotte & Pascual Lavanchy from France (sorry if there are spelling mistakes in the names). I am not sure if it was a FD or an exhibition program, but I remember being moved while watching it. I think they skated it the season the movie was released.

Dobre

The first Schindler's List program in ice dance that I remember was performed by Sophie Moniotte & Pascual Lavanchy from France (sorry if there are spelling mistakes in the names). I am not sure if it was a FD or an exhibition program, but I remember being moved while watching it. I think they skated it the season the movie was released.

Per wikipedia, it was an exhibition for them in 1996-1997. (The film came out in 1993/1994. If I remember correctly, Katarina Witt had her program out first. I remember my family hypothesizing that she was able to debut a couple programs before the films were released because of her connections in the film industry. Paul Wylie also had his program out very early @the same time). But M&L's exhibition was prior to any of the dance programs I remember. It could have been the first one in dance? I don't know.

(Schindler's List probably wouldn't have fit the "toe-tapping & obvious rhythms requirement for a competitive FD during the year and years immediately following its release).

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

Elizabetha Tursynbaeva - SP - Camille Saent-Saens "Dance Macabre"
"She explained that she will portray a Black Raven"

Lol that she's no longer with Brian Orser but still skating to all Yuna Kim's old programs.

That's a good choice imho for Tursy.
Hope Gleikhengauz will put a decent program together.

The black raven concept makes me worry a bit. Perhaps she can portray the Three-Eyed Raven to complement Trusova's program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information