ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2018/19 season

RoseRed

Weren't the medals plastic at Skate America this year?
They looked more like clear glass or something to me. Anyways, they were actual medals rather than the plastic stars or these things from the 2016-17 GPF that were plastic, looked like cardboard, and fell off there ribbons for skaters during the medal ceremonies.

clairecloutier

Wow, with P/C out, it's pretty wide open for the ice dancers at NHK. Will Zagorksi/Guerriero win??? Great chance for the American teams to medal, that is, if Hawayek/Baker have recovered from their concussion.

Debbie S

A Z/G win looks likely, barring a major error. And H/B are looking good for 2nd. I would expect Z/G to make the GPF, along with G/P.

H/B's next event is IdF, which is a tougher field. Assuming P/C are physically OK, I would think they would do everything possible to show up there, so H/B are likely on the outside to make the Final, but who knows.

I was thinking that since C/B and Gracie are still listed for CoR next week, that there was a good chance they would be there, but obviously there is still the chance of a late withdrawal.

I hope P/C are OK!

peibeck

Simply looking
The ISU dance pdf for all the GPs is updated showing P/C out but NHK but still on the list for France. Hopefully this just means illness and not injury, but I guess we'll know soon.

Galayavieva/Thauron are added to the French dance field as well.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
A Z/G win looks likely, barring a major error. And H/B are looking good for 2nd. I would expect Z/G to make the GPF, along with G/P.

G/P need to win versus Sinitsina/Katsalapov in France to be assured of the Final. If they finish 2nd, that poor RD from Skate Canada might come into play, because I'm guessing Hawayek/Baker will now end up with a silver and bronze as well.

RoseRed

G/P need to win versus Sinitsina/Katsalapov in France to be assured of the Final. If they finish 2nd, that poor RD from Skate Canada might come into play, because I'm guessing Hawayek/Baker will now end up with a silver and bronze as well.
Probably won't be an issue. Their total score was still ~6 points higher than Zagorski/Guerriero's even with that RD, so they would still be in good position to beat H/B in a tiebreak if necessary. And H/B are only likely to get 2nd/3rd if P/C pull out of IdF as well.

But also, I think people should stop discounting the Parsons chances at NHK considering how close M/C were to Z/G at SA, and that we haven't seen H/B at all.

Colonel Green

As much as I love G/P, that is a tall order. :(
It isn’t, though? They’ve beaten S/K before; indeed, they’re the higher-ranked team over previous seasons, and they probably would have won the free at SCI but for skating in the first group.

But in any event, their scores are big enough that they have a great shot of winning a tiebreaker. They still out scored Z/G even after losing over ten points in the rhythm dance.

Colonel Green

Okay, so as I see it:

1. Hubbell/Donohue (1 + 1)
2. Stepanova/Bukin (1 +1/2)
3. Guignard/Fabbri (2 + 2)

The guaranteed. Even if Chock/Bates do make it to Rostelecom and kick ten kinds of ass, they obviously can’t make the Final.

And then you have:

4. NHK gold medalist, who could be Zahorski/Guerreiro (in which case, 3 + 1) or Hawayek/Baker (1 + no worse than 4).

And then you have the big question of whether Papadakis/Cizeron make it to France or not. If they do, then it comes down to whether Gilles/Poirier beat Sinitsina/Katsalapov for silver. If they do, then both teams will be in. If they don’t, then they probably have two bronze medals and the sixth spot goes to whichever of Z/G and H/B didn’t win gold at NHK (if that’s Hawayek/Baker, then they only need a fourth in France to win the tiebreaker).

If P/C don’t make it to France, conversely, then both G/P and S/K are almost certainly in the Final with either first or second-place finishes.

EDIT: per NBC, it’s a non-serious back injury and they’re expected to still be at IdF. So in that case, I expect your remaining Finalists are S/K and two of Z/G, G/P and H/B. It all hinges on the order at NHK and IdF.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Papadakis/Cizeron are off the entries for NHK, although it's not updated on the grid yet.
Updated on the grid now: https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...s-2/17411-ice-dance-2018-19-all-6-events/file
EDIT: per NBC, it’s a non-serious back injury and they’re expected to still be at IdF.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/11/06/gabriella-papadakis-guillaume-cizeron-injury/
Olympic ice dance silver medalists Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron will miss this week’s NHK Trophy after Cizeron hurt his back in a practice fall on Wednesday, their agent said.

The injury is not serious, and the French couple is still confirmed to compete in its other Grand Prix in France in two weeks. They are expected to return to the ice as soon as later Tuesday for limited training.

Rock2

S/K are definitely making a move this year in the eyes of the judges. Having said that, until proven otherwise, they remain susceptible to some random error(s). I still categorize them as fairly wild in their skating. Lots can happen to help elevate G/P. As for their next event, we'll also see how stable their 120 FD score is.

Willin

It's interesting how this season a lot more skaters/couples from a variety of countries are withdrawing one event at a time rather than sitting out the whole GP for an injury as typically happens. Was there some change that makes this an advantageous choice or is it just a random thing happening this season?

Dobre

I'm sorry Papadakis & Cizeron are out. Yikes! This means they're out of the Final. Someone else is going to be a GPF Champion this season! (I'm sorry I won't get to see them live for the 2nd time in Vancouver).

It's interesting how this season a lot more skaters/couples from a variety of countries are withdrawing one event at a time rather than sitting out the whole GP for an injury as typically happens.

I think both typically happen.

But also, I think people should stop discounting the Parsons chances at NHK considering how close M/C were to Z/G at SA, and that we haven't seen H/B at all.

I'll go ahead and bite. The Parsons current SB score at Nebelhorn is less than 1/2 a point below Zagorski & Guerreiro's score from SA.

Having said that, Carreira & Ponomarenko's score at Nebelhorn was only 3 points back of McNamara & Carpenter's SB. But in Finland, C&P finished over 9 points back of M&C. Comparing scores across events is not worth much. Prior to Nebelhorn, C&P's scores were higher than the Parsons'. Again, that comparison wasn't worth much.

The Parsons should be ready. They've been competing a while. Their scores have been climbing. I think they could have a shot. Especially as we have no idea what Hawayek & Baker will look like. The Parsons will have to get close to those other teams themselves, though, before I assume they can.

Their FD scores were almost identical in Canada. The RD made the difference. And G/P actual had the higher RD score from the CS events. They need to be clean, and it'll be close.

When was the last time both Sinitsina & Katsalapov and Gilles & Poirier went clean under pressure? This could so easily swing either way.

And H/B are looking good for 2nd.

How can they be looking good when we haven't seen them?

Colonel Green

Someone else is going to be a GPF Champion this season!
The Grand Prix Final is these two's unluckiest event. They will have four World titles by the end of this season, and five European titles, but only one Grand Prix Final title.

Actually, the year they won the Grand Prix Final preceded their Olympic disappointment, so maybe losing or not competing at the Grand Prix Final is an overall good strategy for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information