Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

Frida80

People calm down. It’s just a bad interview after a roller coaster ride of an Olympic Games. Let’s not just her for a moment at her lowest.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
People calm down. It’s just a bad interview after a roller coaster ride of an Olympic Games. Let’s not just her for a moment at her lowest.

THIS! Good grief, she was exhausted, she spoke off the top of her head. This is not a disaster. And frankly, I doubt anyone will care tomorrow. She already walked back those statements. Chill, people!!!

Skittl1321

I've always gotten the sense that Mirai was wrapped up in the fame side of things. I don't think she's a bad person for it, but I remember when she was younger you could sort of see that more than now. I didn't realize it was still lingering. :)

Seems like there are much easier ways to become famous.

Mirai always seemed to like the perks that came along with being an Olympian though, I agree with you. But she earned them.

skatfan

Oh Mirai, calling the Olympics an audition for a reality show is not a good look. Calling out a competitor who skated her worst program all year is not kind. Rewriting history to make yourself the hero demeans the efforts of your teammates.

She may have blown her chances at post-Olympic jobs

Frida80

I’m still not upset with her. It’s a terrible interview, but this does not reflect who she is at all.

In order to get through the FS, I’m sure Tom and Adam help her to see that she didn’t let her country down and that she should be proud of what she accomplished. Adam told her to look at the FS like a DWTS audition. Tom probably to,d her that all skaters have poor performances at some point. Unfortunately, all that came out wrong at the worst time.

I’m less concerned about her after olympic prospect, because DWTS loves a controversial star. I’m concerned about negative press hurting her performances at worlds in a few weeks. Before this, I knew she’d rebound strong. Now I’m not so sure.

Last edited:

UGG

Why is she trying to make herself out to be Kerry Strug with that team bronze? And I never once heard Kerry Strug single herself out as the savior of the team event. What is Mirai doing???

Frida80

Why is she trying to make herself out to be Kerry Strug with that team bronze? And I never once heard Kerry Strug single herself out as the savior of the team event. What is Mirai doing???

In a way she was. When Mirai took the ice, the gap between Italy and the US was only two points! If Carolina placed 2nd and Mirai 5th like I expected, Italy would be in the lead by the FD. Then the pressure would be on for them to Skate mistake free. The Italians had beaten them in the FD ar the GPF. I was sweating bullets until Mirai shut the door. Her performance made the gap insurmountable. The Shibs could skate easy and confident and the US got her bronze.

It was a team effort definately, but Mirai did have a part in making certain that bronze was secure.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies

Frida80

I remember in interviews how nervous Mirai said she was for the team event. She woke up with a fit of nerves and wanted to do her best for the team. They actually told her she needed to perform well to ensure they won the bronze medal. So she’s not just making this up. She really was entrusted with helping that ream get the bronze.

UGG

I remember in interviews how nervous Mirai said she was for the team event. She woke up with a fit of nerves and wanted to do her best for the team. They actually told her she needed to perform well to ensure they won the bronze medal. So she’s not just making this up. She really was entrusted with helping that ream get the bronze.

Are you her mom? You are literally replying to everyone posting about her interview

skatfan

In a way she was. When Mirai took the ice, the gap between Italy and the US was only two points!....

It was a team effort definately, but Mirai did have a part in making certain that bronze was secure.

The key word is “part.” Team USA was ahead, not behind. I wasn’t that worried because the Shibs are WAY more consistent than Mirai - they’ve won a slew of international medals including two bronze medals at Worlds. They would have been ok in the clutch position.

When you are on a team, you are supposed to be humble and point to others. As internal talk to yourself it’s fine.

Frida80

The key word is “part.” Team USA was ahead, not behind. I wasn’t that worried because the Shibs are WAY more consistent than Mirai - they’ve won a slew of international medals including two bronze medals at Worlds. They would have been ok in the clutch position.

When you are on a team, you are supposed to be humble and point to others. As internal talk to yourself it’s fine.

The Shibs failed in their FD at the GPF and nationals. They were no way of knowing how they’d perform for the FD. The Italians already beat them in the GPF FD. If they felt like they could win and over performed, and the Shibs made any mistake they could’ve gotten bronze. I was hammering the numbers out like crazy. Before Mirai, I was sweating bullets.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies

The Shibs failed in their FD at the GPF and nationals. They were no way of knowing how they’d perform for the FD. The Italians already beat them in the GPF FD.

Let's be honest, the Shibs FD wasn't great this year and was only somewhat enjoyable at the right time in the individual dance event. It's a weak FD that was vulnerable to the Italians and Adam placed lower than expected despite a clean skate, so I was with @Frida80 sweating bullets and hoping Mirai wouldn't give up more points to the Italians. Thankfully she didn't.

But I agree with you @skatfan , it's internal talk. Mirai was the only team member that performed way better than expected, but that's the stuff you keep to yourself...but hey, in vino veritas.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
And she's not Nancy Kerrigan, who was in the news cycle for months when she made her less than tasteful remarks. Nick McCarvel is doing a good job of showing how Mirai was the one to actually comfort Daleman after her skate. Let's not blow this out of proportion; I think she'll be just fine.

ETA: Many of the comments, especially in the LA Times Hernandez article actually slam the writer for blowing things our of proportion or being condescending to the US ladies. This is a tempest in a teacup. Mirai will be fine, and so will we.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Deflecting to Gabby was kind of crappy. Gabby was devastated. For her family, for her country.

I did lol at Dick Button's tweet when Mirai finished her skate...."Why is Nagasu flopping around the ice?"

I like Mirai. I think she needs some sleep though.

worldsnice12

I will always accept that Mirai is like she is and you have to take some of her statements with a grain of salt. She has never been the typical media trained person and mostly what says never ceases to surprise me. Unfortunately, this interview was not one of the better "surprises" and I simply wish she would have been able to express her thoughts and feelings in a different manner. I dont think there is anything "bad" in Mirai and I was happy to read a more reasonable wrap up she made on her instagram account.
I remain firm in my believe that she was simply not able to handle the high after the skate of her life Team LP and the rollercoster of days that followed.
Some people will always be more"collected","give more "political correct replies" and so on..
I am sure Mirai will put this bad interview behind her but media is tough and more than happy to drag up non elegant quotes whenever it suits a given situation.
I hope when she is back home and off this Olympic rollercoster that she will put things in perspective heading into Worlds..and other interviews ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information