German Skating News 2017/2018

DreamSkates

A magical free skate for this pair. So proud of them for how they were able to skate after being fifth. Truly exceptional and well-deserving of the gold. So hoping and believing they would - and it's a program I could watch 10 times over!

MissJD

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I just had to drop in and share with people who understand how incredibly happy I am for Aliona! I didn't even watch live because I couldn't handle the Sochi heartbreak again. Her face and joy when she finally got that gold will absolutely be the best moment of these Olympics! Congrats to Aliona and Bruno and Germany!! ♥️♥️♥️

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Aljona is a prime example for our current world. Aljona was born and raised in another country, but she worked endlessly for over a decade to bring pride to her adopted country and herself at a level only few people can even begin to understand and she achieved her dream at an age when a lot of Olympic level Athletes could be considered to be too old. I hope that this serves at least as a small example that being considered a citizen of a country or being patriotic shouldn't be judged on whether you were born there or whether you have ethnic ties to that place. Aljona is as much of a German as anyone else born in Germany IMO and has done more than enough to prove that to everyone. Truly an inspiration to immigrants across the world that sacrifice everything to achieve their dream and bring pride to the place that they have chosen to call their home.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Even one of my pupils who is more of a "bad boy" and considers figure skating to be "absolutely gay" mentioned it yesterday in French class where we had French exchange students as visitors and dealt with "les relations franco-allemandes" in order to emphasize that an originally French guy won an OGM for Germany with Aliona.

I was so proud.

text_skate

crossposting from thread mentioned in post above

This morning Aljona, Bruno and Alexander König where in the studio, interviewd by Rudi Cerne (4th at Men's in Sarajevo, in the then FS his lutz was elusive, he said, still hunting him ;))
Link (geoblocked): https://olympia.zdf.de/aktuelles/eiskunstlauf/talk-mit-massot-und-savchenko-100/

Bruno is allowed to speak French :cheer2:. They said "Allez", focus on their strength, the FS. Giving-up was never an option. Aljona knew with the first elements, they have a run, she needed to focus until the end and hold her concentration, because she had so much energy. Too much energy might take you right into mistakes.
It was an advantage to be the first on the ice.
Alexander had a hard time at the barrier, because as a coach you know every little detail and movement, you're standing there and you want to sway everything into the right direction, but you can't do a thing, you're utterly helpless.
Aliona talks about the 3Tw4 (around 9'0''): They worked on it until the last minute. Problem: either there was the split or the arm above, never both. And finally they managed in FS.
Around 10'20'' and 11'08' the team of zdf shows in a split screen the final moments of T/D Bolero and S/M with underlying music La terre vue de ciel. Very interesting. Bolero choreo works with S/M music. Plus epic ending pose on the ice :D IMO T/D's choreo works even better :p
They didn't plan to lay on ice. All stress disapeared suddenly. Aliona: FS ended and she thought, what already finished?
Bruno talks very enthusiastically about minutes after the skate, he's very exited, as almost as he wants to skate right away. With a performance like this, you have the desire (in German we would say "Lust") to do another skate like this, even better. Bruno actually would prefer the SP, because ... well because. The goal is two clean performances.
They are eying worlds, start preparations over the coming weeks.
König: After SP there was no tense atmosphere. They were always united as a team. König, Ballester an Skotnicky talked to S/M after SP, encouraged them.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Post-competition interview with Lorenz/Polizoakis (and Witt)
http://www.sportschau.de/olympia/sp...ogespraech-mit-lorenz-und-polizoakis-100.html

Both are well-spoken. Both seemed very grateful for being in Korea and skating at Olympics.
Leaving home age 11, this must feel kinda worth the route now finally for Kavita!

Once more: I love Witt! She says nice things, is supportive, still lives for the sport! That's the way someone should present the sport! Can't we get her on the mic somwhere more often please?

text_skate

Future goals so far:
Joti and Kavita: international medal :encore:
Aliona: believes another Olympiad is possible :encore:

Paul: staying for another quad. I'd like to propose: learn how to connect to audience and not to be afraid when out there on the ice (and everybody watching – there's no ogre out there waiting for you)

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I'm glad Kavita/Joti want to continue. I enjoy them much more than some of the lower-ranked teams. I find them so well-matched and always interesting to watch (which can't always be said of some of the lesser Euro dance teams).

nimi

I'm glad Kavita/Joti want to continue. I enjoy them much more than some of the lower-ranked teams. I find them so well-matched and always interesting to watch (which can't always be said of some of the lesser Euro dance teams).
I love Kavita's posture! I, too, want them to continue & keep improving.

text_skate

Interview with Bruno Massot in Süddeutsche: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/olympia-ich-fuehle-wie-der-druck-aus-dem-koerper-kriecht-1.3873807
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/olympia-ich-fuehle-wie-der-druck-aus-dem-koerper-kriecht-1.3873807

"Ich fühle, wie der Druck aus dem Körper kriecht" / "I feel the pressure creeping out of my body"

Bruno about FS: During the skate I said to myself, it's not over, yet, concentrate, it's not over, yet, concentrate, it's not over ...

– He still checks every morning, if gold medal is still there
– Talks about his back, he feels his discs, right down to his knees
– They decide after Worlds, if and how to go on. He likes to be a coach.

J

Jeschke

Congrats to a great outing by all german skaters!

Of course the gold medal shines above all but big success by all other german athletes making the final! This was not a given and is a good sign! :respec:
Well done #TeamD, well done :40beers::hat1:

Last edited by a moderator:

text_skate

Nicole in ARD-Studio with Kati Witt, she came right after her skate: First part of talk, the competition hasn't finished, second part after comp. She and Kati liked Osmond best, complete package – Kati: "herausragene Läuferin" outstanding in SP.
Link (particularly for @Jeschke :)): http://www.sportschau.de/olympia/sp...f---nicole-schott-im-studiogespraech-100.html (geoblocked)

Schott thinks, she was judged quite harshly on 3F<+REP
She always had two scores in her mind, she'd like for Olympic season, one was Schindler's list. Is very satisfied with program
She sees herself as a skater with music, where she can put her heart in, not so much as a skater for "happy" music

Second part, after comp finished
Daniel Weiss judged her harshly (verpatztes Programm, messy - in a harsh way - program). Both Witt and Schott agree, that's not what she did. She was satisfied with her program performance-wise: Put my heart into it.

When asked, if the right girl won the OGM, both hesitate a moment. Nicole: Her TES is outstanding. Nobody can touch her. Witt also praises Zags TES, very beautiful girl, Witt hopes, she'll be around in 4 years and shows her wonderful skating. She has won OGM rightfully. They like Osmond's jumps and presence.

Schott will continue, has goal to advance in the next four years to better placements, to work her way up. Prove that she can compete with the best. Admires Kostner for longevity in figure skating. She will fly back to Germany on 26th: Enjoy some of the Games, now the comps are over.

They talk about Russian system: ballet, athletics, all the other goodies, ice time. Training is more important than school. In Germany it's the other way round

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information