USFS Skating magazine puts US Adult champions on cover

D

Deleted member 221

Love it! As someone who watched both Stephanie Roth and Michael Solonoski for 20+ years, I think this is amazing.

Solonoski is really not far off his prime competitive peak in terms of jumping ability, and his basic skating is even better than it used to be. Roth has always had an athletic, powerful style that the judges didn't fully appreciate. She's a relatively tall bodybuilder in a sport of tiny ballerinas. Thrilled for her to win, to break the record, and to get this type of long overdue recognition.

We need more of this! Staying power, and solid technique that lasts for decades.

ioana

Love it! As someone who watched both Stephanie Roth and Michael Solonoski for 20+ years, I think this is amazing.

Solonoski is really not far off his prime competitive peak in terms of jumping ability, and his basic skating is even better than it used to be. Roth has always had an athletic, powerful style that the judges didn't fully appreciate. She's a relatively tall bodybuilder in a sport of tiny ballerinas. Thrilled for her to win, to break the record, and to get this type of long overdue recognition.

We need more of this! Staying power, and solid technique that lasts for decades.
Most adult competitors don't really fit into the tiny ballerina category, but I know what you mean overall. Stephanie has talked about how she is in better shape now than when she won Sectionals as a Senior lady. Understanding what works for her in terms of nutrition and off-ice fitness is part of the reason why she was able not just to stick around, but get better. She specifically mentioned her spins and getting higher levels on those as an adult.

It's really nice to see adult skating get this kind of recognition, too especially since non-elite skaters had a harder time getting back on the ice with cov!d. And it's even better when I get asked if I do the same thing as Stephanie since I'm an adult skater, too. I wish :lol:

viennese

wrecked

I really impressed. Stephanie Roth can do triple toe loops 25 years after competing as a senior U.S. competitor. Her off ice conditioning program must be great! I enjoy reading about athletes who figure out how to train smart and improve with experience.

Good for Roth and Solonski.

Edit: I am so bad at arithmetic. Twenty five years? Fifteen years? Whatever it is, she's damn good.

Last edited:

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

I really impressed. Stephanie Roth can do triple toe loops 25 years after competing as a senior U.S. competitor. Her off ice conditioning program must be great! I enjoy reading about athletes who figure out how to train smart and improve with experience.

Edit: I am so bad at arithmetic. Twenty five years? Fifteen years? Whatever it is, she's damn good.

WOULDACOULDARETURNS

I share practice ice with her at a competition a few years back. The sessions weren’t leveled, so it was a mixed bag. She was able to navigate her way around the crowded session so well. I was in awe of her speed and power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information