U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

burntBREAD

Yeah but Wang has a long resume of solid SPs and fades away in the free? No? Also does she have a full jump arsenal?

No, she absolutely does not have that resume. Not sure where you got that from! In fact, she often comes back in the LP with a good score to make up for errors in the short. Also, she's had a full jump arsenal at least since her first JGP in 2010, lol. What she IS, however, is ridiculously inconsistent, to the point where it's not worth predicting based on her history because she can be a gem or a trainwreck - sometimes in the same program!

topaz

From in person reports I've read, they were in agreement that Karen outskated Ashley and received higher applause after the skate. Karen has it over Ashley where it counts, in the skating skills. Having better SS means the execution of elements are of higher quality.

All this talk about Ashley getting endorsements and being the face of US figure skating, if Ashley fails to place in the top 3, maybe it's a much better message to everyone else if they leave her home because it'll show that all the endorsements, publicity, and popularity cannot buy you an Olympic berth.

Wow. Ashley is in the last year of her skating career how else she going to make money and a living? She's not going to win an individual medal so there will be no cereal boxes, late night talk show appearances, no sitcom appearances. She has an agent and the agent's job is to get her work so she can support herself. I don't think Ashley was attempting to "buy an olympic berth". The fact is she is the most recognizable face of US figure skating over the last few years.

Also, I don't think that the USFSA really " directed" or "signed off" on placing Ashley as olympian spokes person for Team USA. In fact, Nathan Chen has been the broadcasted Team USA athlete for the past year. NBC hypes athletes to lure the public in. It's nothing person it's strictly business. NBC is hyping the hell out of Bradie Tennell. Most the public has no idea that Bradie is a top 10 skater at best. She's not going to win any medals at the olympics, at worlds. She's 19 years old. Her programs and artistry are behind skaters that skate in juniors in Russia and Japan. She's same age of Satoko and compare the programs of Satoko to Bradie. Compare the programs of Bradie to Marin Honda and Wakaba Higuchi.

But this follows the pattern of US ladies figure skating. They get a jumper, a skater with good technique, good skater skills and think that will be enough be successful on the international scene. I'll be willing to bet that next season Bradie's programs won't be much different from this years. Bradie is not going to change US ladies figure skating overnight.

And I guess some of us have forgotten that Karen who at the age of 17 years old and wrote an autobiography and has made numerous excuses about her boot issues.

Personally, I think the USFSA has never really liked Ashley W. They have tolerated her because NBC liked the rivalry angle with Gracie Gold. The USFSA is a conservative bunch and Ashley is not conservative. She received her lowest pcs marks at this year's nationals since 2014. Figure skating can be a brutal sport. But Ashley's silver medal in Boston will probably be the last medal a US lady wins at worlds, olympics and GPF over the next olympic cycle or more.

It's gonna be a while before US ladies will have two or more spots at worlds. That is something that I believe the USFSA has FINALLY realized.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm not faulting anyone for taking opportunities when they can get them. I only meant that if Ashley places outside the top 3, people (not Ashley who I don't think is doing any of this) shouldn't be using her reputation or her endorsements and name recognition as a reason to name her on the team over another skater. It would seriously appear unfair if that was the case. People were already thinking that back in 2014 when there was less substance to support that claim.

RD

From listening to Wagner's USA Today clip, I hear a skater who may be slowly coming to terms with the reality that she might not make it after all...for a short while she was unusually reflective.

She skates her FS before the top 3 do...she has every opportunity to throw it down, draw a big score and put the pressure on them like never before. It's just a matter of if she has anything left in that tank of hers...she really hasn't had a breakout performance since '16 Worlds...

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
No, she absolutely does not have that resume. Not sure where you got that from! In fact, she often comes back in the LP with a good score to make up for errors in the short. Also, she's had a full jump arsenal at least since her first JGP in 2010, lol. What she IS, however, is ridiculously inconsistent, to the point where it's not worth predicting based on her history because she can be a gem or a trainwreck - sometimes in the same program!

Ummm yah she does. Ill stick my ground with that.

Constantly she could be in a medal position after the SP for whatever competition she's in and then I need to usually use a map to find out where she placed after her free skate.

For me she's the epitome of a good SP skater and then fades into darkness with her free.

I can't think of any US Nats medal or placement above 8th or any major ISU medal she has ever won because of the after effects of her free skates.

And its not unusual with the exception of Ashley Wagner I usually think most people are good SP skaters and weak on free... Bobek, Cohen, Nikodinov, Kirk, Liang, Zawadski, Gao and on and on and on and on and on and on

Willin

I hear everyone's getting sick. At least one dance coach and one dancer were wearing surgical masks today. One of the Junior dancers looked like she was about to barf getting off the ice (despite skating really well) and her coach brought a bucket over for her just in case. Several of the judges and officials have said they've not been feeling well either, and a few of the other staff I talked with said they had food poisoning recently. It's just a bad time all around for ill athletes. I'm surprised there's not more!

elka_sk8

From listening to Wagner's USA Today clip, I hear a skater who may be slowly coming to terms with the reality that she might not make it after all...for a short while she was unusually reflective.

She skates her FS before the top 3 do...she has every opportunity to throw it down, draw a big score and put the pressure on them like never before. It's just a matter of if she has anything left in that tank of hers...she really hasn't had a breakout performance since '16 Worlds...

Before Nationals I thought Wagner was a shoe-in barring a meltdown performance, and I wonder if she thought that too. But the judges had an opportunity to hold her up and didn’t. Clearly she is going to have to bring it. I hope she can rise to the challenge, but I agree she just seems kind of spent. If it comes down to her and Nagasu for the last spot, no way do they leave Nagasu off again.

RD

I hear everyone's getting sick. At least one dance coach and one dancer were wearing surgical masks today. One of the Junior dancers looked like she was about to barf getting off the ice (despite skating really well) and her coach brought a bucket over for her just in case. Several of the judges and officials have said they've not been feeling well either, and a few of the other staff I talked with said they had food poisoning recently. It's just a bad time all around for ill athletes. I'm surprised there's not more!

And part of an ESPN article also said Karen Chen was sick and missed practice yesterday? Not good...

coppertop1

Ashley is down in fifth after the SP. Ouch. When the judges don't hold you up on a national level it's often a sign that they are done with you. In 2014, Ashley made the Olympic Team over Mirai because of her consistency. She hasn't been as consistent since 2016. Mirai has been improving and now the ball is in her court.

Maximillian

RIP TA
UGH! I hope that Polina continues on after this...

On another note, it would seem to me that the only one in the last group who is really vulnerable to the Body of Work argument is Wang. I know it's unlikely, but I could easily see if Wang makes the podium (top 3) she would be left off the O team. While this is a possibility for all of them (except maybe Chen and Wagner), I think it would be almost a certainty with Wang.

tylersf

Polina is probably enjoying college and getting her education. On the bright side, she is attending Santa Clara University locally and if she sticks around the Silicon Valley, she could probably get back into skating quite easily. Her mom is a coach and there are a number of other coaches she could work within the area.

UGH! I hope that Polina continues on after this...
On another note, it would seem to me that the only one in the last group who is really vulnerable to the Body of Work argument is Wang. I know it's unlikely, but I could easily see if Wang makes the podium (top 3) she would be left off the O team. While this is a possibility for all of them (except maybe Chen and Wagner), I think it would be almost a certainty with Wang.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Wow. Ashley is in the last year of her skating career how else she going to make money and a living? She's not going to win an individual medal so there will be no cereal boxes, late night talk show appearances, no sitcom appearances. She has an agent and the agent's job is to get her work so she can support herself. I don't think Ashley was attempting to "buy an olympic berth". The fact is she is the most recognizable face of US figure skating over the last few years.

And Ashley is the only one that matters? Doesn't matter how Angela Wang, Courtney Hicks, or Mariah Bell earn a living. Just Ashley. :rolleyes:

topaz

And Ashley is the only one that matters? Doesn't matter how Angela Wang, Courtney Hicks, or Mariah Bell earn a living. Just Ashley. :rolleyes:

If you go back and look at the question I was responding to. I was responding the statement that folks felt like Ashely is "buying her way to an olympic berth" because of the endorsements.

aftershocks

Banned Member
What happened to Polina? I see she's withdrawn, along with Ashley Lin. ETA: Okay, I see the linked tweet by Jackie Wong, but with no additional info.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Never liked his dresses for her. Something icky I can't quite put my finger on.
Um, the fact that Cavalli's dresses for Kostner NEVER FIT??? She was constantly sporting a massive wedgie. Dude did not know how to make her something that fit. It's not that hard. (Did theatrical costumes & wedding dresses for several years.)

BittyBug

Disgusted
What a shame about Polina. I like her more mature look in her short and was looking forward to seeing her free skate.

NAOTMAA

Um, the fact that Cavalli's dresses for Kostner NEVER FIT??? She was constantly sporting a massive wedgie. Dude did not know how to make her something that fit. It's not that hard. (Did theatrical costumes & wedding dresses for several years.)

Carolina being so leggy is what made it worse and impossible to ignore. I mean we've seen many short short skirts before (Maria Butyrskaya anyone? :lol:) or some that were close to showing more then necessary but her tallness only made you look at her butt even more. It may have looked better on a shorter girl or at least one who wasn't all legs :shuffle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information