The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

aftershocks

Banned Member
Was that Maia's nickname? I didn't see Aftershock's post. I like the concept of Quiet Assassin but for me that epithet is owned by Karen Chen.

As I explained in the U.S. ladies thread in GSD, about a year ago or so I came across the Wu-Tang mess.be website and I started a thread about it. I found out about it after learning that actor-comedian Donald Glover got his alias 'Childish Gambino' from the Wu-Tang name generator. You can enter any name and immediately receive a Wu-Tang clan alias. It was so freakin' eerily accurate, it was irresistible typing in a bunch of skaters' names and even FSU monikers too. I don't know where the original Trash Can thread is, but it was unreal. I figure that some skaters heard about it, especially with names that came up like:
'Quiet Assassin' for Maia Shibutani
'Amazing Samurai' for Guillaume Cizeron
'Lazy-assed Genius' for Patrick Chan
'Gentleman Assassin' for Brian Boitano
'Quiet Magician' for Wenjing Sui
'Quiet Hunter' for Ross Miner
'Profound Samurai' for Jeremy Abbott
'B-loved Worlock' for Adam Richard Rippon (as we know, AdaRipp admits to being a witch) ;)
'Pesty Prophet' for Nathan Chen -- at the age of 11, Nathan did prophetically state he was going to the Olympics in 2018 :encore: :respec:

Understand that I did not make up any of these nicknames myself. That's impossible, even despite the fact that 'aftershocks' = 'Misunderstood Genius' :p The name that comes up for Karen Chen she may not have found too welcome, so I imagine that if indeed she heard gossip about the skater name aliases, she probably copped Maia's nickname. Maia herself doesn't need to cop it or publicize it, since she already owns it, lives it and gracefully embodies what it means! :D

Again, I don't know if the 'Figure Skater Aliases' thread is archived, but here's the Wu-Tang website link:
http://www.mess.be/inickgenwuname.php

gk_891

In general, I'm liking how the Shibs have improved on their speed and ice coverage yet they've kept their smooth and fluid style. Being wild and unruly just isn't their style at all.

Overall, I really like their SD. But the one thing I'd like to see in their SD is for them to take the second step of the choctaw even wider. Their right back outside edge is quite good but I honestly think it could be even better. But that's easier said than done of course since that double choctaw is so hard. It's just that Tessa and Scott can skate amazing double choctaws and my hope is for the Shibs to stay as close to them as possible.

VGThuy

As I explained in the U.S. ladies thread in GSD, about a year ago or so I came across the Wu-Tang mess.be website and I started a thread about it. I found out about it after learning that actor-comedian Donald Glover got his alias 'Childish Gambino' from the Wu-Tang name generator. You can enter any name and immediately receive a Wu-Tang clan alias. It was so freakin' eerily accurate, it was irresistible typing in a bunch of skaters' names and even FSU monikers too. I don't know where the original Trash Can thread is, but it was unreal. I figure that some skaters heard about it, especially with names that came up like:
'Profound Samurai' for Jeremy Abbott;
'B-loved Worlock' for Adam Richard Rippon (as we know, AdaRipp admits to being a witch) ;)
'Pesty Prophet' for Nathan Chen -- at the age of 11, Nathan did prophetically state he was going to the Olympics in 2018 :encore: :respec:

Understand that I did not make up any of these nicknames myself. That's impossible, even despite the fact that 'aftershocks' = 'Misunderstood Genius' :p The name that comes up for Karen Chen she may not have found too welcome, so I imagine that if indeed she heard gossip about the skater name aliases, she probably copped Maia's nickname. Maia herself doesn't need to cop it or publicize it, since she already owns it, lives it and gracefully embodies what it means! :D

Again, I don't know if the 'Figure Skater Aliases' thread is archived, but here's the Wu-Tang website link:

I didn't even think to use my username!

I got "Wicked Observer". :saint:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I didn't even think to use my username!

I got "Wicked Observer". :saint:

:lol: I told you it's very accurate, more often than not.

As Karen did, I suppose anyone can steal a nickname they like better. ;) Or if Karen has a middle name, she can enter her full name and come up with something maybe more profound. I did this with Meghan Markle's monikers.

Meghan Markle = Unlucky Desperado

OTOH, her actual full name:
Rachel Meghan Markle = Mighty Worlock :eek: :watch:

And come to think of it, since Alex Shibutani = 'Lazy-assed Criminal' perhaps that means Maia (the Quiet Assassin) and Alex are going to slay and steal an Olympic medal in ice dance!

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I happened on this old vid and see all over again why I fell for Maia and Alex in 2011-2012. Her arms and fingers are to die for. It is so interesting that they are skating almost in a P/C style before anyone heard of P/C. It's exquisite.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciz1X7pgnl4

That name generator is rough. I had to scramble to come up with an epithet I can stand. I finally managed to get Intellectual Pupil which at least makes sense.

chapis

thanks. Wow, I love to see their twizzles from that angle, incredible to see how they are moving away, they really cover a lot of ice just by doing twizzles.

There might also be a SD twizzle video where a certain person is saying the numbers along. hehehehe...wonder if it should be posted here? ;)
OMG, yes!!

'Profound Samurai' for Jeremy Abbott

oh, that page is great. I got: Wicked artist. I understand the Wicked part, but Artist? :confused: :huh::lol:

I happened on this old vid and see all over again why I fell for Maia and Alex in 2011-2012. Her arms and fingers are to die for. It is so interesting that they are skating almost in a P/C style before anyone heard of P/C. It's exquisite.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciz1X7pgnl4

That name generator is rough. I had to scramble to come up with an epithet I can stand. I finally managed to get Intellectual Pupil which at least makes sense.

Beautiful, and Maia was just 16 yo.

SidelineSkater

Is it too early to look ahead to the WC? If the Shibs get an individual medal, do we think they'll do worlds to try and snag gold? What are the odds of V/M and P/C skipping it due to Olympic fatigue?

And to stick with the current conversation. Twizzle for days indeed! I know it's been discussed before, but other than GPF, how can judges NOT automatically press +3 for their twizzles? They do more rotations than required, have great speed and incredible ice coverage. I know those are to get the level 4, but come on.

I remember seeing them live for the first time at Nats in 2011. The crowd went nuts when they did their lightning fast twizzles. The ooohs and ahhhs were remarkable.

A month from now, I'll be on my way to Olympics! We are seeing the Pairs Free, both Men's events, and the Free Dance! I couldn't convince the significant other to sit through similarly themed SD's, but we will be there live for the FD at the Olympics! We return home the next day, so I'll be a long plane ride home before I find out the ladies SP results.

Anyasnake

Is it too early to look ahead to the WC? If the Shibs get an individual medal, do we think they'll do worlds to try and snag gold? What are the odds of V/M and P/C skipping it due to Olympic fatigue?
P/C are going. V/M 99% sure they won't because if they win OGM they'll want to stop there but if they win OSM, they might not want to risk to win silver gold.
I actually wanted to know if Shibs are going or not. Especially if they have an Olympic medal, they'll be asked everywhere because of their social media status. Did they say anything ?

Dobre

It's impossible to know who will go to Worlds. Plans very often change after the Olympics. People who intended to retire decide they want a chance at redemption. People who planned to attend find themselves bombarded with other opportunities and decide to take a break.

Maia made a comment earlier saying that the one country she would like to explore the most is Italy. And that because Worlds is in Italy, she may have extra days to see the country.

Sounds positive.

Papadakis & Cizeron have apparently said they plan to compete at everything, and I think P&C will be encouraged to go by their federation. France has two promising young dance teams, and P&C will need to go if France is to earn two spots for the following season.

I'd say the odds are very good that Virtue & Moir don't go. My instincts say that a large part of the reason they came back was to reignite their professional career. And there are always commercial opportunities after the Olympics. But we'll see.

Cappellini & Lanotte will definitely go and will be skating at home.

chapis

And to stick with the current conversation. Twizzle for days indeed! I know it's been discussed before, but other than GPF, how can judges NOT automatically press +3 for their twizzles? They do more rotations than required, have great speed and incredible ice coverage. I know those are to get the level 4, but come on.

I remember seeing them live for the first time at Nats in 2011. The crowd went nuts when they did their lightning fast twizzles. The ooohs and ahhhs were remarkable.

A month from now, I'll be on my way to Olympics! We are seeing the Pairs Free, both Men's events, and the Free Dance! I couldn't convince the significant other to sit through similarly themed SD's, but we will be there live for the FD at the Olympics! We return home the next day, so I'll be a long plane ride home before I find out the ladies SP results.

Wow, you will be in Korea, fabulous, enjoy it!! :biggrinbo. And I agree totally about the twizzles.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
So cool that the Shibs have a drink named after them:

https://instagram.com/p/Bd8-UlRhFON/

This is the level of attention I’ve felt they were so deserving of and I’m glad they are one of the faces of the Olympics.

My husband texted me a picture of the exact same thing yesterday; their flavor is used in Moe's Moe-Rita drink, apparently. I was impressed with his skating knowledge, limited as it appears to be!

Last edited:

VGThuy

How about, "Pick Yourself Up and Get Back in the Race...Get That Dirt Off Your Shoulder" or "Stay strong...That's Life"? I know it might seem like a throwback to last season, but watching their gala skate at 2018 Nationals, I feel like this exhibition hit a new chord for this season and it's so them. "That's Life" could be their theme song for their career. Nothing has come easy for them and yet they always manage to stay at the level to be in the conversation and exceed expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesPGT1D4ng

Spun Silver

How about, "Pick Yourself Up and Get Back in the Race...Get That Dirt Off Your Shoulder" or "Stay strong...That's Life"? I know it might seem like a throwback to last season, but watching their gala skate at 2018 Nationals, I feel like this exhibition hit a new chord for this season and it's so them. "That's Life" could be their theme song for their career. Nothing has come easy for them and yet they always manage to stay at the level to be in the conversation and exceed expectations.

Oh gosh, just when I was getting ready for Mambo Masters of Pyeongchang. I like it, but I'd rather go with something upbeat and fun! We can wax philosophical after Worlds.

On another note, I got my first like from Lily and Po! :D

And on yet another note: gee, a lot of folks are ready for the Shibs to retire. It's probably just to make room for their faves but it still rubs me the wrong way. I don't want them to stop. I think they have so much more to give. However: if they stay, IMO it is time for a coaching change. In spite of how much they love being super hands-on, I wonder if they would be better served by putting themselves in the hands of a choreographer they trust and letting his or her special genius take charge. There is having big input and then there is taking control. I get the feeling they've done the latter the last two seasons and I'm not sure they've quite pulled it off. I wonder how they would do with Krylova and Camerlengo if that would work with H/B. Camerlengo is a wonderful choreographer.

chapis

Their exhibition was great at Nationals, Maia especially was shining.

Oh gosh, just when I was getting ready for Mambo Masters of Pyeongchang. I like it, but I'd rather go with something upbeat and fun! We can wax philosophical after Worlds.

On another note, I got my first like from Lily and Po! :D

And on yet another note: gee, a lot of folks are ready for the Shibs to retire. It's probably just to make room for their faves but it still rubs me the wrong way. I don't want them to stop. I think they have so much more to give. However: if they stay, IMO it is time for a coaching change. In spite of how much they love being super hands-on, I wonder if they would be better served by putting themselves in the hands of a choreographer they trust and letting his or her special genius take charge. There is having big input and then there is taking control. I get the feeling they've done the latter the last two seasons and I'm not sure they've quite pulled it off. I wonder how they would do with Krylova and Camerlengo if that would work with H/B. Camerlengo is a wonderful choreographer.

I think it is soon to talk about change, they are doing very well, remember, they lost National title for 0.19, the difference was totally ridiculous, and H/B had a good performance at Nationals, but maybe you missed all their previous performances, I don´t want that for the Shibs, Camerlengo like their choreographer would be interesting.

We should discuss changes or retirement after Worlds or the Olympics, at least.

The Shibs are the best, they will get a medal, bronze at least, no doubt :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information