The Gardening Thread

vesperholly

Fun! What is the math of it? I plant one scallion and get roughly how many new ones?

I bought a bundle of 6 at the grocery store and saved the bottom 1" -1.5" of each onion, and planted those in soil. One bulb basically just regrows itself. They each had 3-4 shoots, except at least one shoot from the bulb was truncated.

rjblue

Having a great day!
For weed control:
You can buy black mulching cloth and lay it next to your seedlings once they emerge. Cover the cloth with 4 inches of compost, and make sure throughout the season you pull out whatever grass is in the row with your seedlings. In the fall, pull up the cloth and let the compost mix with your soil- so don't use bark mulch like you might with perennials- you don't want to till in bark.

The only other way to get rid of grass is herbicide (poor choice for your garden), or spading your soil before you plant and removing all the grass roots and stolons (labor intensive).

For mosquitos:
I have a pullover bug net that I wear for gardening during our blackfly season. It covers everything from the waist up, has nice knitted wrist cuffs, and the mesh over my face is finer and let's me have good vision. I find it nicer than wearing fly dope, even if I look a bit goofy. My husband does wear the fly dope, but it is eucalyptus based rather than DEET. It only lasts 4 hours rather than 8.(Citronella only 15 minutes, so don't bother)

Bats are only around starting at dusk. Over time, they can help a little but not enough for me to garden without protection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information