2018 Gardening Thread

topaz

It looks like finally spring is here for most of us.

Has anyone planted or planned their garden for this year?

I have already started my veggie plants and I will be planting more flower this year.

My veggie grow list is as follows:

• Tomatoes
    • Black Krim
    • Sara Black
    • Opalka
    • Ernesto
    • Purple Bumble Bee
    • Amish Paste
    • Black From Tula
    • Black Prince
    • Japanese Black Trifele
    • Cherokee Purple
  • Peppers
  • Okra
  • Lettuce(about 8 varieties)
  • Collard Greens
  • Asian Greens
  • Beans
  • Peas
  • Spinach
  • Eggplant
  • Carrots
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Celery
  • Swiss Chard
  • Herbs

Jenny

From the Bloc
OMG you grow all that??? You must have a lot of space!

When you harvest the tomatoes, I'll bring the fresh mozzarella :)

topaz

OMG you grow all that??? You must have a lot of space!

When you harvest the tomatoes, I'll bring the fresh mozzarella :)

I have my own small container garden on my apt. balcony. I grow lettuce, spinach, peas, and other leafy greens. I have two earthboxes, two City Pickers and regular window boxes and planters.

My mom’s house, there is a 4x8 raised bed. I help her plant tomatoes, Okra, peppers, lettuce, carrots and herbs there.

Our(my mom and I) main garden is a rental community plot where we grow most of our food. We have a permanent plot, we’ve had it for about 3 years. We pay $84 annually that includes the area, water.

We use the square foot gardening method. It allows for intense planting and vertical planting(lots of trellises). Lots of plants per sq. foot, i.e like one pepper plant per sq. ft; 4 celery plants per sq. ft.

I’ll post some pictures of the site area.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I'm wanting to replant some flowers, which is all I ever do in my little dirt strip area; but I'm so limited on plants that survive me and my home! I'm in a dry climate, with dry soil, and my garden area gets almost no direct sun. I have yet to find anything that really does well in it except honeysuckle (too well, it went insane) and a lavender plant that's hanging in and does fairly well.

KatieC

I took the step today of contacting a pond maintenance company to ask for help with my small garden pond. I'm going to be super busy for the next month and a half, plus I can't kneel for more than a few minutes because I smashed my knee last year. It needs cleaning and tidying up. I think I have one goldfish left. I still hope to get my pots and window boxes filled, and around 5 tomato plants in. Other vegetables don't grow well for me, so I've given up on them. Rhubarb is coming up already, crossing my fingers for it. The lavender does extremely well, and the tulips are on their way. Daffodils are just starting, a bit late this year. Forsythia will be out in the next few days. Lilacs just after that.

RoseAugust

So far, I’ve planted 12 tomatoes, beans, tomatillos, peppers (jalapeno, ancho, poblano, bell), zucchini (3 types), eggplant, basil, chives and parsley. I coordinate a community garden and tend the two plots designated for the local food bank - that’s why I plant so many tomatoes. Veggies grow all year here. The Winter garden included veggies like cabbage, broccoli, chard, kale, garlic, onion etc.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Last year I started my tomatoes & other vegetables inside from seed & then found out our favorite nursery started selling organic plants. The cost is very reasonable on sale & the plants were twice as big as mine, so I'm buying them there this year. I used the smart pots for our vegetables for the first time last year & they worked out great so I'm going to use them again this year. They cut down on weeding & also the critters didn't get into them as easily.

I started flowers indoors instead -- lupine, double flowering rudbeckia, morning glory & moonflower, Black Eyed Susan vine, amaranth, hollyhocks, forget-me-nots & several others.

My herbs spent the winter in my sunroom & are ready to go back outside as soon as the stupid snow & freezing stops. The weather has been so bad in April this year we are way behind on our yard work & getting the beds prepped for the summer. But it's supposed to be nice this weekend, so hopefully we'll get busy!

Last edited:
We’re a few weeks away from being able to plant still. May long weekend is usually when planting can happen. Last year I didn’t do anything because I was very pregnant in the summer. This year I’ll plant tomatoes and zucchini and maybe some other vegetables if my husband builds another planter. My husband wants to plant a lilac bush too. I'm not much of a gardener but I try a few things, usually kill most everything except tomatoes which I've had really good luck with.

topaz

So far, I’ve planted 12 tomatoes, beans, tomatillos, peppers (jalapeno, ancho, poblano, bell), zucchini (3 types), eggplant, basil, chives and parsley. I coordinate a community garden and tend the two plots designated for the local food bank - that’s why I plant so many tomatoes. Veggies grow all year here. The Winter garden included veggies like cabbage, broccoli, chard, kale, garlic, onion etc.

Sounds great. What varieties are you growing?

I tested my soil today and temp was 53 F. So I am going to prep beds at my mom and our community garden plot this weekend.

I set up my patio greenhouse(I'll use it get the plants accustomed to being outside over the next week). My goal to plant lettuce, spinach, chard on my balcony in one week and to have plants in the raised beds by the May 12th. I'll plant cool weather crops by the 12th but wait to plant eggplant, peppers and celery until after Memorial Day.

KatieC

I heard back from the pond maintenance place I contacted. They wanted over $600.00 to come 4 or 5 times this season. I wrote back and told them I only wanted somebody to clean it up once, this spring. I will look for somebody who needs some money - but not $600.00!
The daffodils are looking lovely. I wish it would warm up a little quicker though. It's still way too cold to contemplate planting. The pansies in the shops are shivering still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information