Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

chapis

Realistically speaking...
Against Brob/Sol in Russia, can they possibly win ? If they skate better obviously... I'm talking about something a little more politic.
(Disclaimer : I have nothing against B/S of course. But they will be at home, and it could go a bit wrong)

yes, I am preparing myself mentally for a second place. I hope I am wrong.

Anyasnake

I can see B/S wanting a bit of "revenge" for having to start their season at Skate America last season. However, I think the Shibs should just focus on hitting those levels hard and skating, dancing, and performing to the music as best they can and just not focus too much on their scores. I think the scores will follow if they do that.
I think they are smart enough to do that and they will, what's bothering me is B/S 3rd place at worlds, which wasn't truthfully right. This has nothing to do with the skaters, but with the federations. #olympicseason...

Anyasnake

yes, I am preparing myself mentally for a second place. I hope I am wrong.
If both teams skate clean to their ability that we know of, Shibs should win for sure, they have that "clean" advantage over B/S who can be sometimes "too much", plus the technical. But I shouldn't be surprise if it's a 2nd place finish...

VGThuy

I think they are smart enough to do that and they will, what's bothering me is B/S 3rd place at worlds, which wasn't truthfully right. This has nothing to do with the skaters, but with the federations. #olympicseason...

Keep in mind the Shibs would have been third in the FD if they didn’t get that IMO questionable 1.0 deduction on their stationary lift.

Anyasnake

Keep in mind the Shibs would have been third in the FD if they didn’t get that IMO questionable 1.0 deduction on their stationary lift.
True. But I didn't have them close to them anyway because B/S had one one their worst skate of the season there (that felt like revenge for the europeans), that's why it's bothering me.
(Sorry I tend to be quite pessimistic sometimes and even more with Shibs)

VGThuy

I agree. I’m preparing for second or maybe third place here (if a 2015 Nepela sitution happens), but hopefully they’ll win Skate America. Good thing is even if Rostelecom Cup doesn’t go their way they have about five weeks to regroup and fix things. Remember that Ilinykh/Katsalapov placed 4th behind the Shibs at 2013 NHK, and we know how H/D did better at Worlds in the SD than they did the rest of the season and were on their way in the LP.

suki

True. But I didn't have them close to them anyway because B/S had one one their worst skate of the season there (that felt like revenge for the europeans), that's why it's bothering me.
(Sorry I tend to be quite pessimistic sometimes and even more with Shibs)

I like B/S, too. They appear to be good people who have overcome many obstacles in their career. At the risk of sounding like a :sekret:, I think the RSF will do everything in its power to set B/S up for a medal in the Olympics so the politicking will start early.

chapis

I just want to forget Worlds 2017, Maia and Alex were treated very unfair. It bothers me because they are perfectionist, they have always had it so difficult, I know that this is not easy for anyone but the fact that they feel the need to add an extra set of twizzles to get points when even having only 3 with the quality they have should suffice to give them the maximum of points says all, :wall:, they always have to be giving an extra while others teams give only the indispensable minimum.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

I agree. I’m preparing for second or maybe third place here (if a 2015 Nepela sitution happens), but hopefully they’ll win Skate America. Good thing is even if Rostelecom Cup doesn’t go their way they have about five weeks to regroup and fix things. Remember that Ilinykh/Katsalapov placed 4th behind the Shibs at 2013 NHK, and we know how H/D did better at Worlds in the SD than they did the rest of the season and were on their way in the LP.
I think having a 5-week gap is one of the reason why they didn't do any senior B. I didn't understand at first but it makes sense now.
Third place ? NO. This is the Shibsibs fan in you preparing yourself in case of a major disappointment. I refuse, COME ON ! :saint:

VGThuy

I like B/S, too. They appear to be good people who have overcome many obstacles in their career. At the risk of sounding like a :sekret:, I think the RSF will do everything in its power to set B/S up for a medal in the Olympics so the politicking will start early.

I don't know if the USFS cares about ice dance, though the Shibs are certainly being promoted, but we will see the full extent of Marina's politicking reach depending on how well the Shibs do. I feel like this is her biggest test because getting V/M and D/W top two in 2010 was amazing and actually historic for North American ice dance, but a lot of things fell into their laps to make it much more possible (not to take anything away with how much work and how fresh and great V/M and D/W looked that season). The Shibs are a different situation. Alex and Maia have been working hard but their work also needs to make the judges know that they themselves are the type of skaters who deserve to be consistent and real medal threats and possible spoilers for more and not just one out of a large group who can luck into a medal.

I think having a 5-week gap is one of the reason why they didn't do any senior B. I didn't understand at first but it makes sense now.
Third place ? NO. This is the Shibsibs fan in you preparing yourself in case of a major disappointment. I refuse, COME ON ! :saint:

I was the same way throughout the entire 2015-2016 season despite all the success and their upward trajectory. They always had to fight hard to put themselves in the position they are in now where they have been undefeated generally-speaking against the other American teams and to have medaled at every international they entered since their 4th place at 2015-2016 GPF.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

They genuinely took one of the nicest team out there to set up for the Olys. Actually both B/S and Step/Buk seems nice and drama-free. I wouldn't even be surprised if Step/Buk grabs 3rd place and Gilles/Poirier 4th.

suki

Assuming B/S retire after the games, Step/Buk will the next #1 Russian ice dance team. Frankly, I find them hard to watch. Maybe the ghosts of Bes/Buk in the 80s are clouding my opinion.:yikes:

chapis

Assuming B/S retire after the games, Step/Buk will the next #1 Russian ice dance team. Frankly, I find them hard to watch. Maybe the ghosts of Bes/Buk in the 80s are clouding my opinion.:yikes:

I know, I can´t stand Alexandra´s skating and posture. By the way, did you know that their new FD is choreographed by Peter T. ? :yikes:, omg, I hope it's because he exhausted all his creativity with the Shibs. He choreographed Tarasova/Morozov LP too :scream:, to be fair, the main problem are T/M not seeling the program, but still, not a great program.

Anyway, I am putting all my hopes in Massimo.

Anyasnake

I know, I can´t stand Alexandra´s skating and posture. By the way, did you know that their new FD is choreographed by Peter T. ? :yikes:, omg, I hope it's because he exhausted all his creativity with the Shibs. He choreographed Tarasova/Morozov LP too :scream:, to be fair, the main problem are T/M not seeling the program, but still, not a great program.

I actually like S/B but their programs never do them justice. And T/M LP could get them away from the OGM because it feels like running a 100m in 4:30 min, it's insane and not clever.
Back to Shibs though ! I'll guess we'll see in 10 days...

VGThuy

I wouldn't worry about that. Their programs are a real collaborative effort. The Shibs were the ones who came up with the concept and direction of their FD, so at least the concept isn't Peter-driven. I think they want his vision to bring something new and help them make interesting shapes for their programs and give his input on footwork, etc.

Last edited:

chapis

I actually like S/B but their programs never do them justice. And T/M LP could get them away from the OGM because it feels like running a 100m in 4:30 min, it's insane and not clever.
Back to Shibs though ! I'll guess we'll see in 10 days...

Well, I think that change the music could make a world of difference. They should go with the original Liebestraum. I wonder who come with the idea of that music?, I swear I did not know even that version existed but the singers should be very flattered to be chosen to be in a possible olympic scenery :shuffle:.

suki

The Shibs are so involved with their programs I can't see that they would accept anything they think it "substandard." They were so young when they became seniors, and I'm sure they deferred to others on decisions about music, choreography, etc., not always with the best results. But not now. They are in control. They are also adept at assimilating different styles and ideas and creating their unique magic on the ice. Let the other ice dance teams do the "same old same old." Not the Shibs!

suki

Well, I think that change the music could make a world of difference. They should go with the original Liebestraum. I wonder who come with the idea of that music?, I swear I did not know even that version existed but the singers should be very flattered to be chosen to be in a possible olympic scenery :shuffle:.

Chapis, Step/Buk could bring in the Berlin Philharmonic to play for them, and it wouldn't make a difference. They are not a pleasant couple to watch (they sort of remind me of the Gorsh/Guns from 2006, except he is the stronger skater of the two).

VGThuy

Thought I’d bring more attention to this because I think it’s so awesome Maia and Alex have built themselves up so much in the past four seasons to now be one of the biggest representatives for Team USA (doing videos for them explaining various sports but Maia’s voice seemed dubbed or something) and to have been chosen by Pyeongchang2018 to do videos promoting the upcoming Winter Olympics.

Dobre

I like Bobrova & Soloviev. I think they worked like crazy to regain Russia's number 1 spot, and they've certainly lived up to the role. I don't like their SD this season, but they have a beautiful FD. My favorite from the Challenger Series.

I like Stepanova & Bukin also. (Have from the first time I saw them, but more after last season's SD). They aren't at all "pleasant." LOL. That isn't the kind of team they are. They are athletic, youthful, fiery. Take on extra difficulty, and I appreciate it. All of this does show in their SD. The problem with S&B's FD, though, is that it's a bad fit for them and their style of skating. With quality programs that fit them, I think they could rise to the podium in the middle of the next quadrennium. A lot will depend, however, on who stays in and on how S&B develop their skating. Some aspects aren't there yet.

Also, a lot will depend on how the discipline, itself, develops after post-Olympic rule changes. I thought Finlandia was a real showcase of the great dramatic/storytelling divas coming up in the future of international ice dance: Lorraine, Betina, and Ivan are three of my favorites. If we are fortunate, Sara Hurtado will stay in too.

I LOVE the Shibs. I think they are very special and unique within the dance world. The most unified, perfect match of a team I have ever seen. Can skate and perform the full gamut of styles. Their programs are full of risk, and they execute them with a level of perfection and togetherness that leaves me in awe. My favorite dance team of this quadrennium. Rostelecom will be very tough, but the Shibs can't control the judging. They can only control how they skate. And show resiliency. It ain't over until it's over, as we saw at Worlds. (And this season doesn't end here).

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Anybody entering the Shibs contest for a new YT banner? I already submitted an entry. :)

ETA: I think it's funny that there's no prize.

ALso ETA: I found the most beautiful photo from Getty of their Clair de Lune ex. http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/5...18944970&excludenudity=true&sort=best#license
I was pretty sure I couldnt afford to buy or rent it but I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask, so I contacted Getty and had a little dialogue with them where I kept emphasizing how tiny the figure skating world is. They finally told me the rights would start at $700. Whoa! End of that story!

I found another fabulously beautiful one of Evolution from an ice dance website (can't find it now) but after the Getty convo I decided to go with Shib selfies or nonwatermarked photos.

Another gorgeous Getty pic:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...k1j30i10k1.0.SlpNb90SQ34#imgrc=dQV80s0x1lUTsM:

The photo research was fun. There were even more stunning pix of them than I already realized from their Instagram accounts.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Anybody entering the Shibs contest for a new YT banner? I already submitted an entry. :)

ETA: I think it's funny that there's no prize.

ALso ETA: I found the most beautiful photo from Getty of their Clair de Lune ex. http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/5...18944970&excludenudity=true&sort=best#license
I was pretty sure I couldnt afford to buy or rent it but I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask, so I contacted Getty and had a little dialogue with them where I kept emphasizing how tiny the figure skating world is. They finally told me the rights would start at $700. Whoa! End of that story!

I found another fabulously beautiful one of Evolution from an ice dance website (can't find it now) but after the Getty convo I decided to go with Shib selfies or nonwatermarked photos.

Another gorgeous Getty pic:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...k1j30i10k1.0.SlpNb90SQ34#imgrc=dQV80s0x1lUTsM:

The photo research was fun. There were even more stunning pix of them than I already realized from their Instagram accounts.

I hope to see your submission very soon.

DDNatalia

This thread has >1200 comments.
"Evolution" as a thread title fit the Shibs 2017 story just as "Fix You" fit the 2016 story.
Trilogy. See where I'm going with this? Whaddyouguys think?

VGThuy

This thread has >1200 comments.
"Evolution" as a thread title fit the Shibs 2017 story just as "Fix You" fit the 2016 story.
Trilogy. See where I'm going with this? Whaddyouguys think?

Last time I brought it up, I think people wanted to wait until they debuted their programs to make a new thread with a new title.

chapis

New vlog from the Shibs. 140 hours in June:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89QuQ0xDUtM

@chapis , we get a good chunk of their SD music here at around 4:38. What do you think? It sounds like a modern but faithful production of "Cherezo Rosa" aka "Cherry Pink, Apple Blossom White".

I better wait the whole version :confused:. Ok, so we have mambo n. 5 and Cherry pink.

It is great that they share more and more about their work, I remember years ago they did not share much information about their training and creative process in their videos. Probably because they were not so involved like today.

Their dad look so shy in front of the camera, poor man :lol:, he reminds me a lot of my dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information