RIP Cecil

Cachoo

That sounds awfully close. Maybe Blaise will reveal the recording he used.

liv

Poor Animals. Not much of a future for them because humans breed and demand so much. It's terrible what we do. There are too many of us.

Too many people, too many poor people trying to survive...and then too many rich people shooting for fun, not remembering that it isn't 1850 when big game animals were a challenge to shoot and were plentiful. It's a different world now.

I think a world without the magnificent creatures that are dying out is a sad place and we created it. I don't like the future that we seem to be hurtling towards.

rvi5

In the case of Tigers, they once numbered in the 100,000's. During the past century, that population has been reduced to 3,000-4,000. That is about a 97% decrease. Hence, all Tigers are now considered endangered. The Caspian and Java Tigers are already extinct, leaving six remaining sub-species. These remaining sub-species can each be measured in the hundreds. Siberian Tigers had been reduced into the 200's. Fortunately with a strict hunting ban and conservation by Russian authorities, the number is now slowly increasing.

With humans constantly encroaching on wild habitat, we can not afford to lose animals to hunting for sport (definition: sport = fun/trophies). In the end, the only surviving wildlife will be those which can adapt to urban living ie. Raccoons, Squirrels, Rabbits, Pigeons, Coyotes, Rats, Mice, etc. Then they are often labelled pests.

These people claim they are helping local villagers by providing meat, protecting livestock, and performing conservation. The truth is, they are not spending $50k to help. They are spending the money to satisfy their personal thrill of killing, regardless how they attempt to justify it. I suspect if they had donated the money to the village instead, it would have been much more helpful than the meat from one dead animal. If livestock needs to be protected, it is because these villagers are encroaching and there is insufficient food for the wildlife. In any case, when was the last time a Giraffe came out of the jungle to drag away livestock?

Conservation? The Tiger is an example of their type of conservation. Mother Nature doesn't need their help.

The last one is funny ;) ...

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/29/cecil-the-lions-big-game-hunters-social-media

Last edited:

twinsissv

Poor Animals. Not much of a future for them because humans breed and demand so much. It's terrible what we do. There are too many of us.

Too many people, too many poor people trying to survive...and then too many rich people shooting for fun, not remembering that it isn't 1850 when big game animals were a challenge to shoot and were plentiful. It's a different world now.

I think a world without the magnificent creatures that are dying out is a sad place and we created it. I don't like the future that we seem to be hurtling towards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is man without the beasts?
If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from great loneliness of spirit,
for whatever happens to the beasts
also happens to man.
All things are connected.
Whatever befalls the earth
befalls the children of the earth.
-Chief Seattle
Suqwamish & Duwamish

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Trophy hunting endangered species? Or just hunting in general? I think they both suck, but I understand why people want to keep the latter.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think he's arguing for both. The national parks in Zimbabwe and Botswanna and other African countries are complex. They are pretty much funded by safaris, both photographic and hunting. It's not like DeBeers puts much money back into them. The attitude of the people is different. Lions eat thier cattle which has an enormous social compentent and people pay to hunt them. But, the biggest issue is there are too many people and too little habitat for large game animals and their preditors. But, most evolutionary biologist are in agreement that the Earth is in the middle of the 6th great extinction. There's no telling which species, including our own, are going to survive. A million years from now some intelligent being might be looking at the fossil record and go huh.

bardtoob

We have to keep in perspectives that poaching was the crime, not merely killing a lion, and Scum Wad had a history of poaching and covering it up. Furthermore, Cecil was the centerpiece of a planned sustainable ecosystem for which lots of infrastructure was invested. The Scum Wad killed basically a zoo animal, which was tragic because Cecil was relatively trouble free for being at the top of the food chain.

If the population of lions is too dense then it is ecologically sound for a quota for lion hunting permits to be set so there is enough land to support the existing population. Too little land would cause the lions to try to expand their territory (and eat livestock and maybe people). Too little lions and they go extinct.

Last edited:

sk8pics

I saw today that Jericho had wandered to the wrong side of the tracks. He was still alive, though. Hopefully he will wander back soon. I also saw that Zimbabwe has lifted the general hunting ban, but hunting of certain animals is still restricted. Elephants, rhinos, and leopards, I think.

Cachoo

Well I hate that the hunts continue but I would think any guide and any hunter with any sort of common sense are going to find a way they make sure they are not shooting Jericho unless they want to join a certain dentist as one of the most detested people on earth.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw today that Jericho had wandered to the wrong side of the tracks. He was still alive, though. Hopefully he will wander back soon. I also saw that Zimbabwe has lifted the general hunting ban, but hunting of certain animals is still restricted. Elephants, rhinos, and leopards, I think.

Why are lions not protected?

Well I hate that the hunts continue but I would think any guide and any hunter with any sort of common sense are going to find a way they make sure they are not shooting Jericho unless they want to join a certain dentist as one of the most detested people on earth.

Most hunters don't care what they kill and they don't care what others think of them.notherwise we wouldn't have a situation like Cecil's

rvi5

Walter Palmer's 650 acre ranch. How on earth does a dentist afford a place this and still be able to pay 50k+ hunting trips?!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-s-killer-covered-hides-slay-deer-yard.html
That would be his North Minnesota country property where he keeps the trophy shrine. Palmer also has a main home in a Minnesota suburb, and waterfront property in Florida. Maybe he has been stealing gold fillings out of people's mouths ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...homes-crammed-evidence-hunting-obsession.html

Last edited:

rvi5

The people who help Dr. Palmers may get only a small fine.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/cecil-lion-guide-who-helped-6225365

"...It came as it emerged that one of Cecil’s last eight cubs has been killed by another male who attempted to mate with its mother.

Wildlife experts at Hwange National Park fear that the remaining cubs in the pride, led by three lionesses, could have just days left to live.

They warn that the trophy shooting of Cecil could trigger a “cascade of deaths” as cubs are typically killed by the next lion in the hierarchy so he could father his own offspring with the females in the pride.

Local guides had given the pride - who have been abandoned by Cecil’s friend Jericho – just a five per cent chance of survival after solitary males were spotted prowling nearby.

The pack has fled their former den at Ngweshla and have been hiding behind a water pan known as Kennedy Two.

A source said the female had been forced to stay on the run to avoid the advances of intruding males but warned that the cubs would struggle to keep up."

:(

snoopy

rvi5

I wonder if he inherited family money. Dentists don't generally pull in that much dough.
Perhaps, or his wife could be from a wealthy family. I don't recall hearing what she does for a living.

That is just truly heartbreaking.
It appears Palmer may be responsible for the killing of nine Lions with just one arrow and a bullet. More bragging rights?

Last edited:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Perhaps, or his wife could be from a wealthy family. I don't recall hearing what she does for a living.
It appears that this is the case. In one of the reports I read when the story first surfaced, there was a reference to his having "married into money." His wife, Tonette Jensen Palmer, is the daughter of one of the Jensen brothers that founded Norman G. Jensen, a large customs brokers company, and until a few years ago she was one of the owners of the family business.

Cachoo

We are living in a time of mass extinctions. And as the climate warms up and human population increases it will only get worse. We need to try and protect what still lives. I should have titled the thread RIP Cecil and his cubs. This is so sad.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They may have been included, I just couldn't remember and I was too lazy to go look it up.
I'm pretty sure they aren't. They aren't quite endangered enough. It has to be pretty dire before an animal makes the list usually.

One of the good things that has come out of the original killing is that many more people now understand how the system works (what is an isn't legal, what the punishments are, etc.) and can see its flaws. And hopefully other trophy hunters are having their nose shoved into the fact that they usually aren't just killing one animal but are putting a dent in an entire ecosystem.

Artemis@BC

I'm pretty sure they aren't. They aren't quite endangered enough. It has to be pretty dire before an animal makes the list usually.

Yes, African lions are classified as "threatened" but not "endangered."

Makes me crazy, though, that they can't be protected before it's almost too late. (Kinda like the municipalities around here that wait til July to institute watering restrictions even though it was clear by March we were going to have a critically dry year ... :wall: )

Meoima

"...It came as it emerged that one of Cecil’s last eight cubs has been killed by another male who attempted to mate with its mother.

Wildlife experts at Hwange National Park fear that the remaining cubs in the pride, led by three lionesses, could have just days left to live.

They warn that the trophy shooting of Cecil could trigger a “cascade of deaths” as cubs are typically killed by the next lion in the hierarchy so he could father his own offspring with the females in the pride.

Local guides had given the pride - who have been abandoned by Cecil’s friend Jericho – just a five per cent chance of survival after solitary males were spotted prowling nearby.

The pack has fled their former den at Ngweshla and have been hiding behind a water pan known as Kennedy Two.

A source said the female had been forced to stay on the run to avoid the advances of intruding males but warned that the cubs would struggle to keep up."

:(
I am so sad. And here people pay tons of money for zoo to see white tigers. And these white tigers are the results of inbreeding which has no conservation meaning at all.

rvi5

We are living in a time of mass extinctions. And as the climate warms up and human population increases it will only get worse. We need to try and protect what still lives. I should have titled the thread RIP Cecil and his cubs. This is so sad.
I was watching TV (child & teen oriented movies) when an advertisement was run encouraging kids to join a children conservation organization. According to the Ad, the World's animal population has been reduced by 50% over the last 40 years. That seems like a lot, if true.

I am so sad. And here people pay tons of money for zoo to see white tigers. And these white tigers are the results of inbreeding which has no conservation meaning at all.
Last week I was at the zoo with my Niece. Since I do wildlife paintings as a hobby, I sometimes go to the local zoo to get ideas and reference photos. I had not been to the zoo in many years (I was a member for a few years back then), but I recall they had multiple Tigers (not white). That number has been reduced to one (that I saw). I guess with Tigers on the endangered list, Zoos can't easily get them. If they go extinct in the wild and in the Zoo (no breeding numbers), they would be gone forever.

The Zoo did have a few White lions. According to the special features on the "White Lion" movie DVD, White Lion births are actually more common in the wild than people think. They become rare because half of Lion cubs don't make it to adulthood. I don't know the situation with White Tigers.

Last edited:

Meoima

I was watching TV (child & teen oriented movies) when an advertisement was run encouraging kids to join a children conservation organization. According to the Ad, the World's animal population has been reduced by 50% over the last 40 years. That seems like a lot, if true.
Human are over-populating the earth, sad fact. Sometimes I feel so scared, that WWIII might start soon to wipe out half of human population to even out with the nature. Yeah I know it's terrifying thoughts. I feel so scared about it.

Last week I was at the zoo with my Niece. Since I do wildlife paintings as a hobby, I sometimes go to the local zoo to get ideas and reference photos. I had not been to the zoo in many years (I was a member for a few years back then), but I recall they had multiple Tigers (not white). That number has been reduced to one (that I saw). I guess with Tigers on the endangered list, Zoos can't easily get them. If they go extinct in the wild and in the Zoo (no breeding numbers), they would be gone forever.

The Zoo did have a few White lions. According to the special features on the "White Lion" movie DVD, White Lion births are actually more common in the wild than people think. They become rare because half of Lion cubs don't make it to adulthood. I don't know the situation with White Tigers.
White lions are rare but not as rare as White Tigers. But overall these animals could not survive long in the nature due to their white fur anyways. Their habitat doesn't go along well with the white fur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information